FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Get up, stand up, stand up for your (women's bathroom) rights

Author Topic: Get up, stand up, stand up for your (women's bathroom) rights
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/12/04/offbeat.rest.rooms.ap/index.html

Anyone think this is a good idea?

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

And it's about TIME!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

The only thing that is a valid concern to me is the 'anatomical differences' one. All the rest are personal choice and not reasons I feel like I should have to bother paying for the added convenience with my tax dollars.

Now. As for anatomical differences. Are you seriously saying that it takes you guys longer to actually pee? I just don't buy it. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think to ACTUALLY pee...but we mostly can't pee standing up. We have to drop our pants to pee and then pull them back up after. AND, we have to wipe when we pee.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The simple fact is, there's ALWAYS a much longer line for the women's bathroom than the men's. This should be accommodated.

And who says it needs to cost more? Just take away some of the men's bathrooms. [Evil]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the perfect solution. Unisex bathrooms. Then everyone has equal access.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

You laugh, but men are already operating at a bathroom deficit. I can think of at least one store where there are three times as many potties for women than for men.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Ding, ding. Fugu wins! [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Unisex bathrooms are fine, when each is fully separate.

But I really don't want a guy in the stall next to mine, without a full wall, thanks all the same.

Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
There's such a thing as bathroom 'rights'? Locke may be rolling over in his grave.... [Wink]
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Just think, a guy and his date could go at the same time. It would be romantic.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Heh.

<-- finds that amusing.

But I'm perfectly willing to accomodate that. Full walls for everyone!

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

We really do need a vomit smilie.
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
At large events with big crowds, there's already a pretty big movement to just go ahead and use the men's bathrooms. Guys don't seem to mind, and if it's a choice between averting my eyes and using the available men's toilets, or waiting an hour in line for the ladies', I sometimes do choose the men's. Nobody has ever screamed and run away or anything. I do think the ratio should be about 2 to 1 of women's to men's facilities to be fair.

The best of all would definitely be unisex bathrooms with doors that can be closed. It's more expensive to build, but really it's very nice not to have to share bathrooms with random strangers of any gender.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

On my freshman floor we had unisex bathrooms for a while. There were 4 bathrooms, a large one and a small one for each gender. The large one for the girls had a steam leak at one point, and the small one for the girls lacked any water pressure to speak of, so the girls used the guy's bathroom (the large one) to shower in.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Go on....
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
All the dorms at my college have unisex bathrooms (well, except for the women's dorm [Razz] ). It hasn't bothered me... except for the time one guy left the door open... but other than that, no.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
The bathrooms in my house are single-stall unisex bathrooms, and I haven't had a problem with it.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's such a thing as bathroom 'rights'? Locke may be rolling over in his grave....
I'm not freakin' dead yet!
Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

*WACK*

You are now.

[Razz]

Eryn
Member # 2190

- posted      Profile for Eryn   Email Eryn         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm..unisex bathrooms. If that happened, then companies making all the machines that sell condoms in bathrooms would be filthy rich...imagine that [Smile]
Posts: 183 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I have no trouble with potties in restaurants and stores. Heck, they don't even really need to be providing potties, so I'm glad that they do.

To me, the big problem is events. You get fifteen minutes during intermission to fit thousands of women through the restrooms and yeah there's going to be a big line. However, I'm not sure that legislation is really called for.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, this is kind of a nightmare for engineers (or anyone constructing a building). In case no one noticed, builders are really into semmetry (most of them can even spell it! [Eek!] ) The men's and women's bathroom are always in some way made semmetrical about an object, and where there is one there is the other. It makes them either to build and much easier to find from the.. umm... consumer's point of view. Simply turning one into the other would cause a big problem as it would put very odd distributions of bathrooms around.

Having a set ratio is silly... perhaps a code about minium bathroom's to rate of consumers or something.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
When I took engineering in college, one of the engineering buildings had NO women's restrooms. I remember searching and searching until I finally figured that out. They had one marked men. And that was all. <laughs> Luckily they built us a new building. Some of the older mills and plants only have one ladies' restroom up by the front office or something about a mile and a half away. It's a challenge. So in those circumstances I also do just take my chances sometimes and use the men's. You have to not be too squeamish. Ladies' bathrooms nearly always seem to have at least one lady who takes care to keep them really clean. Men's almost never do.

[ January 01, 2004, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
If you ladies wouldn't look at a trip to the bathroom as such a social event, perhaps the lines wouldn't be as long. [Razz]

Girls' Restroom: "Hey, I met this girl in the bathroom. She's getting married next week and I'm going to be her bridesmaid!"

Guys' Restroom: *head nod*--if you happen to bump into one another on your way in or out the door.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

If you nod your head at a guy in the bathroom, you are so totally gay.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that a men's restroom will typically have more facilities than a women's. Urinals take up much less space than a stall. If you've got 2 stalls in the women's, you'll probably have 1 stall and 2 urinals in the men's. In a stadium or such, that adds up. If you're at an old stadium, everyone just stands shoulder-to-shoulder at the trough.

One of the reasons our lines are shorter is because more of us can go at the same time. We should be penalized for efficiency?

I also agree with Storm. So much for Frisco's manhood.

[ January 01, 2004, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: zgator ]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

At the trough or the sink?
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
If they serve beer, by the end of the game, the sinks come in to use as well.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

And who doesn't drink beer? [Evil Laugh]
rivka
Member # 4859

See zgator's last comment for why I don't like the idea of communal unisex bathrooms.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you trying to tell me that by the end of the game there aren't a bunch of chicks sitting on sinks in the women's bathroom?

I really must not understand women at all.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
There is also the questions of cleanliness in a unisex bathroom.

I worked with a man who always used the womans bathroom. It was a one staller with a lockable door.

His reason, when the guys from the warehouse use the men's room, they leave it filthy and smelly. (Some men just can't remember to flush appropriately.)

My brother can clear out a mens room. I don't think there would be any women willing to enter a place he's been.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I think unisex bathrooms would go a long way towards de-objectifying women. Seriously.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Unisex or not, do not allow bathrooms to be built with full doors. If you've ever had your kids lock themseslves in and be unable to get out (easily possible with vandalized or just old locks), or be sick and need help, or if you've ever need to get in to help friends or even strangers with emergencies, you don't want a full door in your way.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the full doors because I'm usually taller than stall doors. There's something really disturbing about standing up and being able to see everyone washing her hands at the sink.

I use the men's restrooms sometimes when I stay in the other dorm...because it's really the closest thing....and the guys always go in first to make sure there's nobody around, then come out at warn me that "guys only keep the bathroom clean when they know a girl's going to see it." Ick.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Doors can be as tall as you want, just leave the gap at the bottom.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
It's rare to see a bathroom door have a lock without the slot on the handle on the outside for the screwdriver override.

Restroom locks aren't as much for keeping people out as they are for keeping people from unwittingly going in.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, Michael Moore addressed this issue YEARS ago (on a hi-larious episode of TV Nation).

He stuck a couple dozen port-a-potties on a flatbed tractor-trailer, and drove around NYC looking for long lines of women.

He called them the "Johns of Justice"!

[Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that it's a dumb idea simply because I think a building owner shouldn't be forced to increase expenses just because some people take longer in the bathroom.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe places shouldn't have restrooms at all. I don't think a building owner should be forced to increase expenses just because some people have bodily functions to take care of.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Having puddles of pee in the street attracts a so much higher quality clientele.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.