FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » US beats Canada in hockey. Armageddon at six.

Author Topic: US beats Canada in hockey. Armageddon at six.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a black day here in Canada when our junior hockey team was defeated by that of the US in the finals of the world junior hockey championships.

We're all in mourning up north.

This is clearly one of the signs of the coming apocalypse. [Razz]

So fess up, how many of you even know what hockey is? I mean heck, you don't even have winter down there in America! [Wink]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't hockey when you tell your mom your sick so you don't have to go to school?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Yup, that's absolutely right. [Wink]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you don't even have winter down there in America!
True. [Evil]

*basks in the sun*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

[Mad]

[Wink]

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I played hockey from age 4 to age 17. I learned to skate at 3. I know what hockey is [Smile] .

I'd imagine the winters in Oswego NY are just as bad as whatever part of Canada you're in.

San Diego has no winter though. My God its nice out today.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was beginning to think we didn't have winter here too. Then the temperature dropped 40 degrees in one night.... [Eek!]
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Minnesota is part of America, I hope you realize...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
They've actually had frost warnings here in the Phoenix area.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
We even have a hockey team. And, one of the people in charge of it is Wayne Gretzky. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I hear it was quite nippy in Portland today.

And it's after 6 (in my time zone, as well as in most US and Canadian time zones) -- where's the Armageddon already?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matt
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for matt   Email matt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hockey...hockey...isn't that what you watch when you can't find a good curling match on TV? [Smile]

Besides, all that having our juniors win means is that maybe in like 10 years we'll have a chance if we get a rematch in the olympics.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly
Member # 5898

- posted      Profile for butterfly   Email butterfly         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in California, my car windows iced over. I'd say that's pretty cold.
Posts: 91 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in South Florida it dipped to about 55 around Thanksgiving and since it hasn't gone below 70. [Smile] But we definitely have hockey.

Go Panthers! [The Wave]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
14 inches of snow. 1 day.

Ya, that's typical Summer weather, isn't it?

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mean heck, you don't even have winter down there in America!
According to Weather.com, it's as cold in Utah Valley as it is in Edmonton, Alberta. I can't wait until I graduate and we can move somewhere warm.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julian Delphiki
Member # 2015

- posted      Profile for Julian Delphiki   Email Julian Delphiki         Edit/Delete Post 
It's about time.

...and don't tell me there's no winter in America. I grew up in Chicago. Lemme tell ya, there IS winter in America.

...and the hockey thing, I played for a while and progressed (digressed? depending on how you look at it) to street hockey.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
*goes outside*
*looks at frozen grass, windshield, and roof*
It gets plenty cold enough to snow, but when it does get this cold where I live, precipitation seems to never come. . .

The U.S. doesn't have winter? Ahem! [Taunt]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, 0 degrees counts for winter weather, IMHO. Oh, and the -15 degree windchill just adds icing to the cake.

*Hauls in the brass monkeys*

*Note, all temperatures are measured in degrees (F)*

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
policyvote
Member # 3044

- posted      Profile for policyvote   Email policyvote         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from Michigan; we're proud to have both winter AND hockey here! Between the Red Wings, Spartans, and Wolverines, ONE of the hockey teams around here is usually the champion of something . . .

Peace
policy

Posts: 341 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal
Member # 5437

- posted      Profile for Crystal   Email Crystal         Edit/Delete Post 
<--lives in Anchorage, Alaska.

We definitely have a winter up here! [Taunt]

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind me asking, why live in Anchorage? I went on a vacation to Alaska a few years back, and I kind of thought Achorage was the worst part of it. The only thing I could think of would be convenience, but even then, I thought Fairbanks was nicer. Or does it have to do with living closer to Canada or the US?
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big curling fan, except it's only on durring the winter olympic so I almost never get to see it. [Cry]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Twinky, I live in one of the northern suburbs of Detroit. Canada is south of me. Look at the map. Windsor, Ontario, is south of Detroit. We have real winters here.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone knows real hockey is played on roller blades. Except for those of us who can't skate - we play goalie.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a northern Minnesota man. I know what winter is. This is the first semi-respectable winter I've seen since I moved out to Utah.

Although I don't think you've really experienced winter unless you've had to plug in your car overnight.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't know what winter is really like until ya hafta wear a hat along with your shorts&t-shirt.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh. Just because it gets a little nippy in a few States people think that America has a winter. You don't see Canadians claiming we don't have a winter just because people in Victoria have never seen snow, do you?
And, really, you're comparing your northern-most states to our southern-most provinces. A better comparison would be between, say, Detroit and Baffin Island.
One is in the Arctic.
One isn't.
Canada wins! (Give us this victory, it's all we have! Especially in light of that hockey incident...)

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, it's a deal. You can keep the snow and ice.

*goes out to enjoy the sunshine and flowers*

Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, Ron! (at least when I'm at my parents' house) My friends in Texas think I'm weird when I say I go south to get to Canada. [Smile]
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
It was -30(celsius) here in Edmonton on Saturday. -42 with the wind chill. Right now it is about -16.

I talked to my sister-in-law in Calgary and on Sunday she had forgotten to plug in her car. The car started okay, but seemed like it was going to stall. She floored the gas pedal to rev the engine and the pedal froze to the floor.

That's winter.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.