FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help! Digital Camera HELP!!

Author Topic: Help! Digital Camera HELP!!
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Cannon ZR90 and I've been trying to get it to connect to our (really advanced) PC computer with a USB cable but it doesn't show up at all. [Wall Bash]
I think it can retrieve the pictures but it's the video I want it to capture.

Video Editing programs I have are Sony Sonicblast, Ulead and (I still need to re-install> Pinnacle Studio 8, I also have Magix Video Deluxe (which I have been using for Audio stuff mostly).

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
What's your operating system?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Windows XP
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Did your camera come with a CD of drivers?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yikes. Then it should just work when you plug it in.

Have you tried the USB port with some other device to make sure it works? Same with the cable (if it's not a special cable).

Have you tried changing the order of which end gets plugged in first, and whether or not the camera is on or off when you plug it in?

Have you gone into My Computer and looked under Mobile Devices to see if it's listed their?

Those are the only suggestions I can think of.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yikes. Then it should just work when you plug it in.

Nope. Many mobile devices, such as Pocket PCs and digital cameras, MUST have their drivers installed before being connected--even if the PC is running Windows XP. I learned this the hard way. If you connect before installing and try to install later, it won't work in these cases, because the computer has already read the connection wrong. When this happens you need to go into the control panel and delete the connection and start again. If that is the case, I will try to recall how exactly this was done. I've been down this road a couple of times before, but I don't remember the specifics off the top of my head.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I knew that was the case for PocketPCs. I thought Digital Cameras had a default setting to act as a drive if there were no drivers.

Listen to Ic - it sounds like he speaks from experience.

Dagonee

unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

Icarus I have installed the drivers... there's even a Video USB Driver.

Dagonee
I tried having the power on and then connecting the cable, doesn't work.
I can't seem to find "Mobile Devices" in "My Computer". But I have checked Device Manager and it doesn't have it on the USB Root Hub.
I don't have anything that would fit to the USB cable that I have, to check the cable itself.

Thanks for any help. [Smile]

[ October 11, 2004, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Many video cameras -- including the one I own -- require that you connect the iLink/Firewire cable in order to transfer video, and reserve any USB connectivity for still photos. If your camera has a firewire port, I'd give it a shot.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

Too Bad I don't have a Firewire cable [Frown]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You can test Tom's theory by taking a still shot, though, and seeing if it's available via USB. That would tell you something.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, you don't need to test it. I just confirmed it with Canon. The included USB cable is for still photo/webcam functionality only. If you want to transfer digital video, you'll need a Firewire port (and cable).
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

Thats what I thought, someone over at Best Buy said the USB would work too. Ha! I knew they were wrong. [Smile]

Thanks for confirming that with Canon Tom.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Never trust the people at the stores.

I'm sure there are some that really know their stuff, but even more that don't.

Isn't it great to have hatrack as a resource for answering all your questions? [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

Yeah, I love it! [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.