FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Most Liberal Senator

Author Topic: Most Liberal Senator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
What's that supposed to mean? Why is being a liberal senator considered a bad enough thing to be used as a barb against Kerry?
I just don't understand it.. [Confused]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
In general, radicals are radical and not good.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Because he's trying to get the undecided vote. Undecided means they don't want someone really really liberal anymore than they want someone really really conservative.

Heck, I'm a moderate democrat and I definatly wouldn't be too happy about "the most liberal senator" as the canidate.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do they keep throwing around the word liberal like it's the worse curse word in the world?
And it's not just in this election, it's something I heard ages ago. I really don't understand it...
Speaking of just... some Hollywood legion or something, when it really isn't like that...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Because radical liberalism doesn't represent America very well regardless of whether or not you think it should.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

But does radical conservatism represent America?
And what is "radical liberalism?"

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Because "liberal" has become a tainted word by propoganda artists. Throw enough tar on it, and it will falter by the wayside, such as "communist" has.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because radical liberalism doesn't represent America very well regardless of whether or not you think it should.
It is radical conservatism that represents America perfectly, regardless of wether you think it does or not.
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Irratating. I hate that kind of simplistic meaningless language.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I find ironic about this is, as far as I can tell, whether one is ranked as "liberal" or a "conservative" is based solely on whether you voted for Democratic or Republican proposed or supported bills. What they are really saying is that John Kerry votes for many bills that many other Democrats vote for and many Republicans vote against and votes against bills that many Republicans vote for and many Democrats vote against.

Voting for a bill to make "Democrats rule! Republicans drool!" the new National motto is going to label you as a liberal. That's just silly.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is radical conservatism that represents America perfectly, regardless of wether you think it does or not.
That is a moranic statement.

The problem is that we are so diverse that no single viewpoint represents "us", because we can't decide on who "us" means....is it all Americans, or just the rich ones? All races, religions and creeds...or just the major ones?

Simplistic statements (on either side) create more problems than they claim to solve, and belittle the issues we care enough about to discuss.

I don't think that radical views on either side represent America...the problem is that we aren't all on the same page about a lot of issues...sometimes we can't even decide on what the issues should be.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why do they keep throwing around the word liberal like it's the worse curse word in the world?
And it's not just in this election, it's something I heard ages ago. I really don't understand it...
Speaking of just... some Hollywood legion or something, when it really isn't like that...

For the same reason people throw around "conservative" as a curse word. Or label anyone who speaks up about certain issues as a member of the "Christian Right."

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. I would argue that neither "conservative" nor "Religious Right" have been vilified and perverted as extensively as the word "liberal," although the process has certainly begun.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I would vociferously disagree, Tom, and I think that each of us has had our take on this colored by which "side" we happen to find ourselves on.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am all for cleansing the world Liberal and making it as respected and untainted as the word Conservative.

The difference is adjective vs noun.

I have heard people called Conservative, or a conservative something--pundit, senator, Christian.

However, Republican spin-lords say, "He is a Liberal."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The word "liberal" is used to describe anyone who holds any view that is to the left of the current Republican party line.
Actually, that's what "Liberal" means - capital L.

Whereas "liberal" means anyone who favors new ideas over tradition.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Liberal in my view is anyone who espouses views when polls show that the majority of Americans are against it.

If 60, 70, 80, 90% of Americans believe something to be wrong, but you believe it to be right, you're a radical and can be either liberal or conservative.

[ October 12, 2004, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: CStroman ]

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

So Bush is a Liberal in your view then?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Depends on the issue.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

On Iraq, when he believes it was the right thing to do even though a majority of Americans do not.
Xaposert
Member # 1612

It doesn't fit with any normal usage of the word, though. It would mean the Religious Right are Liberal extremists. It would mean Powell is the least Liberal of the President's main advisors. And it would make Kerry not very Liberal at all in his stances on Iraq, welfare, health care, etc.
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
On Iraq, when he believes it was the right thing to do even though a majority of Americans do not.
I suggest you do a google of poll numbers before the war began.

That is absolutely false.

Here is ONE example:
quote:

Saturday, April 5, 2003

Poll: Majority of U.S. Backs War in Iraq

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES -- A majority of Americans back the war in Iraq and half reported they would support military action against Iran if it continues to develop nuclear weapons, according to a Los Angeles Times poll released Sunday.

More than 75 percent of 745 adults surveyed said they support the war in Iraq.

But 50 percent said the United Nations, not the United States, should lead the reconstruction effort there.

The vast majority of those who support the war said they will continue to back military intervention, even if allied forces find no evidence of weapons of mass destruction.

Bush's job approval rating reached 68 percent, the highest level since last summer, according to the poll.

The media's handling of war coverage received a 61 percent approval rate.

Just over half of those interviewed said they believed U.S. military action in Iraq will help stabilize the Middle East, and 62 percent said it would make the world a safer place.

Nearly a quarter of those who support military intervention in Iraq said the action was justified because of the need to disarm Saddam Hussein.

Of those who opposed the war with Iraq, 18 percent said they believed Bush was leading military action "for personal/political reasons". Nearly as many said the United States "has no business attacking Iraq."

The telephone poll, with an error margin of plus or minus 4 percentage points, was conducted Wednesday and Thursday.

Sorry, can't that untruth go unchecked.

[ October 12, 2004, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: CStroman ]

Xaposert
Member # 1612

The date on that is April 5, 2003. Today is October 12, 2004. That doesn't reflect people's opinions on the war today at all.

Also, that date was after the war began.

[ October 12, 2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
It would mean the Religious Right are Liberal extremists.
And what issues are they "extreme" about (meaning that the majority of the population are against but they are for, or vice versa).

Gay Marriage?

Abortion?

Which ones?

Xaposert
Member # 1612

Yes, and yes, and about religious involvement in politics in general. The majority does not agree with them.
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
a much more recent poll (June 2004) states that 54% of Americans believe sending troops to iraq was a mistake. and 55% believe that the war has not made america any safer.

CNN link here.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Exactly. Your statement:

quote:
Look into when the War began and what percentage agreed with it.

Ahem*75%

Also notice where it was conducted.

Ahem*LA

Also notice how many were for the war even if no WMDs were found.

Ahem*same

President Bush believed it was the right war, at the right time at the right place.

75% of those polled in Liberal LA agreed.

vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Good work Chad. You're now posting links and evidence to back up your claims. Good job. [Smile]

Also a simple google search:

quote:

LOS ANGELES - A majority of American registered voters polled from across the nation now say conditions in Iraq did not merit war, but most are reluctant to abandon efforts there, according to a new Los Angeles Times poll.

advertisement

Voters are increasingly concerned that Iraq is a quagmire America cannot escape, and they are doubtful that a democratic government will be established there, according to the poll published in Friday editions of the Times.

Fifty-three percent of respondents said the situation in Iraq did not merit war, while 43 percent said war was justified. When the same question was asked for Times polls in March and November, the numbers were precisely reversed.

MSNBC

This was a poll in 6/11/2004. The numbers may have changed since the new WMD report came out.

I think it is fair to say that a majority of Americans supported the war when Bush told us that Iraq had WMDs and that Iraq had ties to Al Qaeda. But with new evidence disproving Bush's claims, I think Americans have shifted positions.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Here's some more bad poll news from before the War's initiation:
quote:

Pre-Iraq War Poll Archives

CNN Poll (4/7) On who should run Iraq in short-term

Who should run Iraq in the short-term after the war?
The United States 55% 6087 votes
The United Nations 45% 4996 votes
Total: 11,083 votes

This QuickVote is not scientific and reflects the opinions of only those Internet users who have chosen to participate. The results cannot be assumed to represent the opinions of Internet users in general, nor the public as a whole. The QuickVote sponsor is not responsible for content, functionality or the opinions expressed therein.

Awwwww...to bad. Most people believed the US should run Iraq, not the UN.

quote:
66 Percent Fund Secretary of State Colin Powell Very or Fairly Convincing in his U.N. Presentation (2/7/03)

TIM RUSSERT, NBC’s Washington bureau chief, said the bumps were “largely” due to the president’s State of the Union speech last month and to Powell’s presentation on Wednesday, which many observers felt offered strong evidence for action against Iraq.

Below is a summary of the survey of 514 adults:
Bush ratings: 61 percent approved, 31 percent disapproved. Last month, the ratio was 54 to 40. Bush’s high was 81 percent in November 2001.
Military action against Iraq: 60 percent felt it should happen, 27 were against it. That compares with 56 and 36 percent in January. The 27 percent mark was the smallest percentage since the question was asked in polls dating back to April 2002.

See, Kerry doesn't want what most Americans wanted.

He wanted what all the NON-Americans wanted.

I want an American President in word and deed.

Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
for those curious. a history of polls regarding iraq.

Polling Report

what i find curious is all of these results vary significantly week to week.

[ October 12, 2004, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
I think it is fair to say that a majority of Americans supported the war when Bush told us that Iraq had WMDs and that Iraq had ties to Al Qaeda. But with new evidence disproving Bush's claims, I think Americans have shifted positions.
That's exactly my point.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Um....Chad, are you sure you want that to be your point?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
No matter how you count the votes, Bush did not win the popular vote in the 2000 election.

And that has....what to do with Kerry being the Most Liberal Senator (I actually think it's DUI Killer Kennedy, but opinions vary).
Xaposert
Member # 1612

I said believes, not believed. As in TODAY.

Bush does not agree with the majority of Americans on Iraq TODAY.

[ October 12, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Americans have shifted positions, but Bush hasn't. Therefore, Bush is no longer on the side of the majority.
And what is his position? That the intelligence was flawed with regards to WMD's? Yes, we already know that.

I think you believe maybe he should come out and say "We are fighting an unjust war" like Kerry does, with troops in the field of battle.

Instead, Bush's stance is, that the war is just regardless of whether he has WMD's and that he supports the war and the troops regardless.

Kerry tries to support the troops but condemn the war.

That to me as a commander in chief is about the worse trait you could have.

"Go fight and die for an unjust war! I don't believe in what you are doing, but I want you to go do it".

To use Kerry's own words, "Kerry is not leveling with us" regarding his plans in Iraq.

And I don't intend to support him screwing the Troops or the Iraqis.

CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
When you can't argue with the facts, change the subject.

Which is exactly what you did with your first post. Bravo! [Roll Eyes]

Think people...think.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Chad, I believe Kerry's position is that he would not have gotten us into the war, but that we have to finish what we've started now that Bush screwed it up.
Xaposert
Member # 1612

And Bush's stated position is that he would do everything the same in regards to invading Iraq if he had to do it all over again.

Are you suggesting that he is lying - that he really believes he made a mistake in going to war, and that he's just pretending to think it was right? Because unless that is true, he disagrees with the majority of Americans on the issue.

vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
President Bush believed it was the right war, at the right time at the right place.

75% of those polled in Liberal LA agreed.

LA Times conducts both statewide polls as well as national polls. Usually when their polls talk about "Americans," their survey sampled a national audience. LA Times does not poll people in Los Angeles exclusively unless it is an LA-based issue.

The poll I posted, which was an update of your poll, was listed in LA Times' National Polls section. The article also quoted people from Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Wisconsin.

If you can show that the LA Times poll you linked to polled only people living in "Liberl LA," please provide some evidence.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

I will agree that for the sake of our troops, the Middle East, and the Iraqi's Bush does stand firm on the War in Iraq even though the majority of Americans believe the Liberal Media Spin on what is happening over there (which is night and day different from what is actually happening over there per the troops on the ground).

So, yes, I agree that Bush is at odds with the American people on the War being justified.

But then again, we only see the negative in Iraq through the media.

Nightline shows the names of those who died in Iraq, but it doesn't show how the soldiers are living and succeeding over there.

What message does that send? That soldiers are only dying over there, which is a half truth because soldiers are also living, suceeding.

Forgive me for not believing the media's negative spin because I'm smarter than that.

Kerry does though. It's his source for everything on Iraq.

The media paints a "mess" in Iraq, so Kerry adopts that as his official stance although the fatallities are lower than any invasion of any country in the history of warfare for that period of time.

Soldiers die in battle. 58,000 died in vietnam. In Iraq we turned the country over to the Iraqi Governing Council in June with less than 1,000 US deaths. If President Bush is elected, Iraqi elections will be held in January almost 2 years later with just a little over 1,000+ deaths.

That is a successful war.

Kerry a vietnam vet claiming it's a mess, is Ironic and False and he should know better. That he doesn't, means he is either stupid or intentionally lying.

I support the troops AND the mission and it's goals.

This was the right war, at the right time in the right country.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Chad, again you're arguing from your conclusion. You start with the assumption that it's a successful war, and base your arguments on that premise.
CStroman
Member # 6872

How is it not a successful war? Please if you will.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

It depends entirely on how you're going to define "successful," Chad. [Smile] You appear to be using "successful" in a manner that suggests a superlative, particularly since you're using the word to justify the suppression of dissent. Is this how you mean to apply it?
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like I'm being beaten about the head by the Stay-Puft marshmallow man.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
It's cause liberal has more finger-pointing-power.

"You stankin' lib'ral!" flows off the tongue better than "you stinkin' conservative!" neh?

[Wink]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
krazye kipitalist peegs.
[Taunt]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.