FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Choosing your you-ness

Author Topic: New column: Choosing your you-ness
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Choosing your you-ness

In the next few weeks, Americans will be asked to make a hard decision, possibly one of the hardest decisions they'll have to consider all year. What to wear for Halloween.

It can be anguishing, choosing the you that you want to be for a night. Do you want to be a you that's dashing, beautiful, funny, sexy? Do you want to be a you that you've never been before? Or do you just want to be the you that wins costume contests?

Over the years my costume choices have fallen into a few broad categories.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In the next few weeks, Americans will be asked to make a hard decision, possibly one of the hardest decisions they'll have to consider all year. What to wear for Halloween.

[ROFL]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have to admit I don't recall R2D2 ever screaming "Get him! Get him!" in the movies, but that might have been in the Special Edition.
[Smile]

You can never have too many Special Edition jokes, especially when they flow so perfectly from the story. Good writing, as always, Chris.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
We decided to go Star Wars because the father of one of our friends was holding a party and had planned to go as Darth Vader. We assembled our crew quickly, went to the party, and waited.

Here I should explain Jamie's costume. I took a white, dome-topped kitchen garbage can and painted the R2D2 panels and lights and whatnot on the outside. I cut the bottom out, and carved two holes in the sides, and bolted straps on the inside to serve as suspenders. Him we dressd in white paints, blue shoes, and a white long-sleeved shirt. He had one of those toy robot waldos you can grab things with so I painted that white. When he wore it, he was perfect. He could see -- barely -- out of where the lid swung open, and he tended to stumble about which was, frankly, hilarious.

At the party, my friend's dad made his grand appearance and was immediately confronted by my friend as Luke, who challenged him to a duel. As the crowd moved back to give them room Jamie watched very intently, almost quivering. When they finished (a tie), everyone applauded, and then Jamie came scuttling across the room to attack a very startled Darth Vader with his robot arm, screaming "Get him!"

When, laughing, we stopped him and told him who Darth Vader was he seemed disappointed. Me, I was proud that my 4-year-old son had no hesitation in battling evil. OK, I was giggling hard enough to shoot ginger ale outof my nose, but I was still proud. We promised him that the next Dark Lord of the Sith that attacked was all his.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That way I could wear my fencing sabre out in public, which was impressive and fun and very useful for stabbing menacing doorbells.

I can SOO see this. *snort*
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] in general.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] as usual.

Side note about the "Spike" idea. In all the lore and stories I have ever seen, there has never been a chubby Vampire.

Maybe its an Atkins thing.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Or the liquid diet...
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Miro: [ROFL]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Fat White Vampire Blues, by Andrew Fox. "Taxi-driving vampire Jules Duchon weighs 350 pounds and is still gaining from drinking the blood of the citizens of New Orleans, whose rich, unhealthy diets are teeming with fatty lipids."

Saw it at the library, got it for the title. Not bad.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All of the last-minute work became worthwhile when R2D2, still of an age to have problems with the whole "reality-vs.-fantasy" thing, attacked a startled Darth Vader on sight. I have to admit I don't recall R2D2 ever screaming "Get him! Get him!" in the movies, but that might have been in the Special Edition.
quote:
Me, I was proud that my 4-year-old son had no hesitation in battling evil. OK, I was giggling hard enough to shoot ginger ale outof my nose, but I was still proud. We promised him that the next Dark Lord of the Sith that attacked was all his.
This, Chris, is why I love reading your columns. And posts. And such. [Laugh]
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Right. [Kiss]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Great column, Chris. Your take on your little R2D2 was priceless.

James Marsters did volumes with one flick of a lid. Master of facial expressions.

And then there is the "Aw, bloody hell!"

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
That would make a funny rewrite of star wars, R2D2 goes up and kills darth vader on sight while saying that.

[ October 13, 2004, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
or combine the two...

R2D2: (spots vader) Kill him! Kill Him!!

Vader: (Rolls eyes) Aw... Bloody Hell!

Great column as always, Chris!

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One year I went out as Kevin Smith's character "Silent Bob" solely because I had a trench coat, a backward baseball cap and a similar attitude toward the Atkins Diet.

[ROFL] [Evil]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while since I've gotten excited about dressing up for Halloween. Though a few years ago my husband bought some black hair dye, contemplating a Frankenstein look.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.