FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Burning Question

Author Topic: Burning Question
DarkWizard
Member # 6186

- posted      Profile for DarkWizard   Email DarkWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so heres what I'm trying to do. I have to do an artistic thingy(yes thats the technical term) that looks old and has some sort of connection with ancient history. Actually come to think of it I have to write out 5 laws.

So the idea that I had was to take a piece of wood and burn the words into it. Then I remebered the whole fire thing and i was a little frightened. [Eek!] Anyways I was also wondering if maybe there was a wire or something else that I could bend and then ignite that would burn the words in?

So any suggestions for either the wire or how not to roast myself?

[Hat]

[ October 14, 2004, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: DarkWizard ]

Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth spending the less than $20 needed to get a real wood burning kit. Replacement fingers are expensive. [Smile]

http://www.surprise.com/kids/11_to_13/woodburning_kit.cfm

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkWizard
Member # 6186

- posted      Profile for DarkWizard   Email DarkWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya I had thought about that but really I'm trying to be exceptionally cheap. [Big Grin]

But if I can't think of anything better thats probably what I'll try

Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
So what exactly is the assignment? Is it that you must write out 5 laws (ancient laws I presume) in a manner that looks old?

If you post your assignment we might be able to come up with some alternative suggestions.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
There might be a way to put a somewhat flammable powder on the wood as your writing, then ignite the powder.

But that sounds like a bad idea, too [Wink]

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always get a little butane torch and write with it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
You might be able to use a soldering iron. I'm not sure it'll work, but I think it will.
Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always just get a piece of cream colored construction paper, write stuff on it with caligraphy pens or something, then crumple it up about a hundred times and burn off the edges. That looks old. (I learned that in first grade. Easy old-fashioned documents).
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Dip it in weak coffee first and let it dry. Then it looks stained, yellowed, wrinkled, old and burned. [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Take old wire hanger and bend an end into the shape you want.

Put in fire or on stove burner--if using an elelctric oven this may be tricky.

When the wire is pink to white, use as branding iron to spell your words.

Notes on Safety:

1)Anything on the coat hanger, from dirt to paint, may cause your smoke detector to go off. They burning wood definately will.

2) The entire coat hanger will get hot--Metal conducts heat--so use a good insulator between your hand and the hanger. I suggest, if you are allowed, make a fire outside to do this on.

3) If you melt the hanger, try something a bit stronger. If it melts quickly, you are using a plastic hanger.

4) The hot metal will scar anyone it touches. Make sure everyone in the area knows what you are doing and will stay away. Keep all pets locked out of the room.

5) You will get some flame, depending on the wood you are burning into. Have something ready nearby to put them out.

6) Pressure Treated wood is treated with carcenoginic and poisonous chemichals. When burned those chemicals are released into the air. Do not breathe them.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.