FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Prenatal child development

Author Topic: Prenatal child development
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if anyone knows this.

When babies move in the womb, how conciously are they moving? Is it purposeful, or something more akin to neural compulsion such as with Tourette's syndrome?

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends a lot on the baby. I think even unconscious moves tend to be purposive to development, rather than compulsive. Perhaps like swimming patterns or something. But maybe not. They are pretty darned uncoordinated when they get out.

Hiccups are interesting to consider. They also suck their thumbs sometimes. I forget what gestational age. When I'm pregnant, my head is full of those kinds of facts, but I lose it pretty quick as soon as I have a healthy kid in my arms.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think my little girl is currently trying to escape via my belly button. I don't know if she is doing any of these movements on purpose, but it sure makes for good after dinner viewing! We just hike up my top and watch the show! I didn't know skin could stretch like this. Her fav is to pull completely to the left and make me look freakish. Today we will hopefully find out how long they plan to let me go. We're week 37 today but w/ the gestational diabetes and my BP creeping up they may have to take her soon. Hold the good thought for us, I worry about her lungs.
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
According to my child development textbook, prenatal movements are involuntary though approx. the 15th week of gestation. After that point though, movements are voluntary.

hrm... textbook #2 says ten to twelve weeks.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
dawnmaria- I hope all goes well for you and your baby, hopefully she'll come soon! *hugs*
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think these children just enjoy tapdancing on their mothers' bladders. That's all.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, when I had a sonogram with my first ( at 24 weeks), we saw him kick out and hit the bladder with deadly accuracy. Also, i had the habut of lying back to read and resting the book on my stomach, and a couple of my kids did NOT like that, they would kick the book away- once ( with Olivia) hard enough to make the book fly out of my hands.
So yes, I think there's volition.

Wishing all the best dawnmaria...will someone be able to post when you have the baby?

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll ask the hubby to post. He has been reading to her and I think she got tired of the Tigger book 'cause she kicked him in the mouth! And can I just say Braxton-Hicks sucks!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft, tapdancing. Try trampolining!

Best of luck, dawnmaria! And sympathy on the B-H. Creepy critters, they are. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope all goes well, dawnmaria. 37 weeks is a bit young, but not frighteningly so. I remember they told me when I had a bit of premature labor (brought on by dehydration) that they wouldn't stop any labor over 36 weeks.
Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.