FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hypothetical:

Author Topic: Hypothetical:
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
Suppose they had an election and nobody cast a vote?

I've heard a LOT of complaining (particularly on other boards) about how Kerry and Bush, out of ALL the people in the US are the best each party could come up with.

Suppose that the population were to protest the lack of choices by NOT voting. What would happen then?

Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Then the people who didn't go along with not voting would have all the say. Personally, I think that the best way to protest both of the candidates would be to write in or vote for a third party instead.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
That wasn't part of the hypothetical. NO one votes.

My question. My rules [Smile]

Call it an exercise in impossibility. I KNOW that will never happen, but as a way to make people think of outcomes other than the same ole same ole.

*I* thought the question an interesting, thought provoking one anyway. /shrug

Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Then the one person smart enough to vote, gets to take credit for deciding who governs over all of us.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
For noboby to vote, nobody could run, because after all, the candidates vote for themselves.

Yes, I know that I am ignoring the particular of your question.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
If no living American voted, we'd be surprised how many of the dead actually turn in votes each year.

Remember, voting is your duty. Vote early. Vote often.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
No, voting is my privilege. I shall choose to vote for whom I wish, or whether to vote at all.

Jury duty on the other hand, is my duty.

Feyd Baron, DoC

EDIT: Too many capital letters

[ October 15, 2004, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Architraz Warden ]

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been musing the same thing lately, and I don't have an answer for you. I guess we don't have to worry, though, because it would never happen.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
What does mean, "Vote"?
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, for the REAl answer to the question:

If nobody voted, then the same number of votes (i.e. zero) would be cast for all candidates. At least for the office of president, a tie is decided by the House of Representatives. Therefore, since the house is controlled by Republicans and voting for President could be expected to stay fairly partisan...

Bush would win.

Local and state offices would depend on local and state laws.

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
"dude, don't answer my jokes with actual information!" -- celia
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, and even if only the candidates voted, it would still be a tie, since all candidates would get exactly one vote. If we count families of voting age, however...
Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

Sorry! Here, I'll make a joke!

You see. If nobody votes, Bush wins basically by default. Make sure and let all your friends know, a vote for nobody is a vote for Bush. In fact, if you WERE planning on voting for Bush, you can just stay home! It'll be just as good [Big Grin]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At least for the office of president, a tie is decided by the House of Representatives. Therefore, since the house is controlled by Republicans and voting for President could be expected to stay fairly partisan.
Two things. First, each state gets only one vote decided by the entire delegation for that state. Second, the House can only choose from the top 3 electoral vote recipients. If no electors are chosen, then no candidates are in the top 3, so the House can't choose them.

I'm not sure what happens next, because the rest of the amendment at issue only comes into play when the House doesn't choose in a situation when it could. It's not clear the House could choose, so the next mechanism might not be usable.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

As always, I bow to the encyclopedic legal knowledge of Dagonee! [Hail]

I tried anyway. [Dont Know]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, let's say that people in Generic American State are unsatisfied with the people on their ballot. I understand that you can write in the name of anybody you choose, can't you? What would happen if the majority happened to write in the same name and voted for Bugs Bunny, or Bob Saget, or Colin Powell, or whoever? Does that person get elected?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

Bob Saget is Wrong for America!

My question is: If everybody voted for a write in candidate, say James Patterson, who, then, decides WHICH James Patterson actually won?

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
What's scary is, my gram would vote for Bob Saget.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Funny, are you posting from school? [No No]

<----Posting from computer in electrical networks classroom.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect it would fall to the Supreme Court again.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.