FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » From a basement on the hill...

Author Topic: From a basement on the hill...
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
So the new Elliott Smith was officially released today. It's nothing short of amazing. When i first heard about the man's death, i was pretty crushed. i also couldn't help but recall that he was working on a new album. i immediately thought about Jeff Buckley and the posthumous release of "sketches". I didn't want to see the same mess come of smith's work. So i was planning for the worst when i first listened to this record. When i listened to it i was blown away. it was a good balance between figure 8 era and either/or era smith. a stand out song on the record is King's Crossing. It's taken alot of discipline for me not to bawl when i've listened. Given that i haven't been in the best state of mind over the past few days, but i still am able to handle myself better when listening to music. but i've obsessed over this song and wrestled with myself each and every time i've started it over.

do not mistake this post as a mediocre record review, but rather view it as my incoherent ramblings about a fallen artist that i came to love. He was to little emo indie me what Kurt Cobain was to jaded cynical teens of the early nineties. I followed his career and personal implosion the same way eleven year olds know Justin Timberlake's birthday and favorite food. This album has taken about a year to see release and i must say it's about time. it's ****ing amazing.

[ October 19, 2004, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben is right, folks. This is an awesome album, and it shouldn't be hard to find. I got it last night at a big chain store, so it's not like it's obscure or anything. I started listening to Elliot Smith about a month before he died, after hearing Needle in the Hay on the Royal Tenenbaum soundtrack.

From a Basement on the Hill is, in my opinion, his best album. Memory Lane, Fond Farewell, and King's Crossing are some of the most beautiful songs I've heard this year.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.