FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Halloween Candy Overdose

Author Topic: Halloween Candy Overdose
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, the truth is I'm not really plugged into the social life here at work. There are multiple reasons for it, but I think it's safe to say that my co-workers and I move in different worlds.

So, every once in a while, I'll do something for purely social reasons. Part of me hates myself for it (why on EARTH should I have to play these social games?) and part of me figures that if it means I don't have to gather by the water cooler and compare shoes and novelty necklaces every morning, it's worth it. So, today I brought candy for the candy jar. Pixie sticks, white chocolate peanut butter cups, Smarties, and caramel eyeballs.

Due to some tricksy childhood memories of downing a mountain of Halloween candy with no ill effects, I had two peanut butter cups and four pixie sticks. I might as well have injected pure sugar into my veins: I now feel like crap. The last time I had candy was months ago anyway - I never have it, but I want to know when I lost the iron stomach that could eat a bag of Halloween candy, and then read in the car on the way to the spinning tea cups and have merely flushed cheeks to show for it.

Anyway, my question is: Why would candy make someone sick to their stomach?

[ October 20, 2004, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Blood sugar problems?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you realize how many pixies are killed to make one pixie stick? That thought always gets my stomach roiling. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
..and these days it's biomodified super-pixies...
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't had candy for a month, you have to build up your tolerance gradually. And somehow white chocolate peanut butter cups sounds really, really disgusting.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
They're not really disgusting, but they're not as good as regular peanut butter cups.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they sounded pretty good when I first saw them in the store, but after eating one I'm going to have to agree with pooka. They were utterly repellant somehow. I didn't throw up or anything, but I kind of felt like I'd have been better off doing so.

I've noticed that cheap chocolate has that effect on me in general though. If I eat a hershy bar, I'll A)not enjoy it--it being nasty, waxy cheap granular crap masquerading as chocolate and B)feel a little ill after. Even with higher quality stuff, like Dove, I'll often feel nauseated if I eat much of it (much being, say, three squares of the stuff). With really high quality dark chocolate, though, I can eat and eat, and never feel ill from it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Every week my friend and I go walking and we buy jumbo Reese's peanut butter cups. It's usually about eleven at night and we wander and eat.

mmmm.

They're the only hershey product I eat.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Noemon on the chocolate. Valhrona, anyone?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With really high quality dark chocolate, though, I can eat and eat, and never feel ill from it.
Me too. Someone told me once that tequila is the same way.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why would candy make someone sick to their stomach?
It's possible that you might be suffering from sugar induced dehydration. You eat all those pixie sticks. They hit your stomach and make a really high osmolarity solution. This basically sucks the water out of the rest of your tissues and cause head aches and nausia.

Try drinking about of liter of water and see if it goes away.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sugar high is quickly followed by a sugar low -- and when your blood sugar drops rapidly, nausea is not uncommon.

I happen to adore the white chocolate peanut butter cups. But then, I really like white chocolate.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay, the truth is I'm not really plugged into the social life here at work. There are multiple reasons for it, but I think it's safe to say that my co-workers and I move in different worlds.

So, every once in a while, I'll do something for purely social reasons. Part of me hates myself for it (why on EARTH should I have to play these social games?)

I so could have written this. [Wave]
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Between the sugar, and all the wax in the white "chocolate", yeah, that'd make you sick.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
celia: [Smile] I guess that's why we post here, right?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, celia. Me too.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.