FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Star Wars Holiday Special

Author Topic: The Star Wars Holiday Special
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got this.

So.Bad.
So.Very.Bad.
So.Very.Very.Bad.

Featuring:
Paula, Chewbacca's wife
Itchy, Chewie's father
Lumpy, Chewie's son

special guest stars:
Bea Arthur
Art Carney
Diane Carol
Jefferson Startship
Mark Hamill's goofy haircut
Carrie Fisher's even bigger cinnamon roll hair

The first 10 minutes are just Chewie's family wailing (or however you describe Chewie's voice.)

Art Carney plays a Starship vidoe to Imperial Inspectors.

I don't know if I can make it all the way through.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean it still exists? I thought all traces were wiped from the face of the earth in the early 80's. Please tell me it's not included on the new SW DVD...
Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

No. I read somewhere very recently that Lucas would like to hunt down and destroy every copy in existence.

And now I know why.

I found it using a file sharing program.

[ October 20, 2004, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: IanO ]

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I came across this movie in production while checking out Joe Pantoliano's body of work this morning.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
It is the most horrible thing I have ever seen. It makes you squirm with embarassment just trying to watch it. I had to make my husband turn it off about half way through. I couldn't take it anymore. They need to dig a deep hole and bury it but it's too late. Too many people have it off the web. I hope alien life forms don't judge us by this one day. We'd be doomed.
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Yeah, I couldn't finish it either. I'm dl'ing the 2nd half now, because I want to see Boba Fett's first appearance in the SW universe.

I'm bracing myself.

Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Fett and Bea Arthur have a duo, something like "Be My Boba" or "Won't you be my Boba"...
Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Link to the SW Holiday Special
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

That site sums it up nicely.

At least the Boba Fett animated part looks ok.

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Alot of people also hatted the two ewok movies, I thought they were interresting though.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
No, trust me, it's nothing like the Ewok movies. But really, it's pretty freakin' hilarious to see Carrie Fisher singing that song to the tune of the Main Theme...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
That is a picture of Boba Fett, holding the worlds largest tuning fork.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Was it meant to be a spoof, or were they serious?

The only really good Star Wars spoof was Hardware Wars. That was a good one. [Smile]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't like Spaceballs?

And it was meant to be serious-- I think...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Yeah, it was serious.

It came out about 6 months after the original was released and was designed to capitalize on the phenomenon that was Star Wars.

The only mitigating thing I can say is that if this is one of the atrocities that had to be inflicted on the world in order to give Lucas enough money and power to independently produce The Empire Strikes Back, it was worth it.

The ends justify those means.

But I'll probably end up deleting it. It is really, really bad.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to see this.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember loving it when it was on TV. But then again, I was seven years-old.

Now, it's pretty embarassing. Kinda like the Ewoks or the muppets in Jabba's palace.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, all right, Spaceballs. I never think of that as a straight Star Wars spoof, but that was a pretty dang good movie. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to get a copy of this. I once had it downloaded as well, but since then have lost it. I realize it's a pile of poo, but it would still be awesome to have. If only to make me laugh.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have this on VHS. Good stuff! [Big Grin]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Oh God it gets worse.

Turns out that after the success of Empire, Lucas authorized another Star Wars holiday special. This time "A Very Star Wars Christmas" (1982).

I'm gonna find this one too and keep it for educational purposes. Yeah. That's it. To show what happens when you succumb to studio pressure to capitalize on your creation with lame holiday specials.

Or not. Probably not.

Now I'm amazed:

Darth Tyrannus appears in this (played by Christopher Lee) and kidnaps a Wampa child.

A Flock of Seagulls rip-off band plays in a Coruscant night club.

Lucas must really love furry teddy bear like Wookies, Ewoks, and Wampa monsters.

The horror!

[ October 20, 2004, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: IanO ]

IanO
Member # 186

quote:
Lest you think that this travesty of a TV special is somehow Lucas' fault, we should really point out that his involvement in the original Holiday Special was small, and we would be surprised if he did more than sign a few release contracts on this one. Certainly there is no sign of the original cast, whose contracts for the second film must have had specific clauses ruling out TV specials, particularly those that involved Wookiee-hugging or musical numbers. Even C3P0 and R2D2 are absent – and when Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker turn down work, something foul must be afoot.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's nice to see Christopher Lee in anything, and it's a bit prophetic that he appeared this project some twenty years before he landed the role of "Count Dooku" in Episode II. It's a shame that it didn't work out so that Lee could play the same character in both projects.
Um, didn't he? My understanding of it was the Jedi that started the cloning was Darth Tyranus, aka Count Dooku? Or am I wrong, Star Wars-o-philes?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Yeah, they got that wrong.

Count Dooku was Darth Tyrannus

Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Fisher is so obviously coked out of her mind during the song.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I know someone (a Hatracker even) with an original copy of the Holiday Special. They showed it to me as a special treat! I have to say, it was so terribly bad that we got lots of practice giving the Heimlich manuever to each other as we choked in fits of laughter.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
While I generally oppose the departure of religion for public life, I am glad the era of the Christmas special has left us behind.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
We own this, but I have yet to see it. I guess I'll have to.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I want to see these out of pure morbid curiosity.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

If I watched it with friend, mocking it the whole way through, I too would be able to finish the thing and enjoy the experience.

But by yourself? It's like being hit in the head over and over again as it keeps topping its shmalty corny stupidity just when you think it has nowhere further down to go.

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, that site has a bad review of UHF, the best movie ever made.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.