FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Funny words

Author Topic: Funny words
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a word that always puts a smile on my face. And that word is crapulous. As in:

Dude... went out last night... had like 10 tequila shots... anyway, yadda yadda yadda, I'm feeling really crapulous today.

Try it with your friends!

Origin: "It comes from the Latin crapulosus and has given rise to a whole family of words: crapulence, crapulency, crapulent, crapulental and so on."

I'd like to devote this thread to inane words of the English language. The more outrageous, the better! Please provide a sentence and a link regarding the origin, if you can find it.

[Smile]

Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
I have two.

discombobulate -
Pronunciation: "dis-k&m-'bä-b(y)&-"lAt
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -lat·ed; -lat·ing
Etymology: probably alteration of discompose
: UPSET, CONFUSE

lugubrious -
Pronunciation: lu-'gü-brE-&s also -'gyü-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin lugubris, from lugEre to mourn; akin to Greek lygros mournful
1 : MOURNFUL; especially : exaggeratedly or affectedly mournful

After being refused a cookie, the young child put on an air of lugubrious discombobulation.

Those words make a wonderful phrase!

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
tmesis: Separation of the parts of a compound word by one or more intervening words.

Late Latin tmsis, from Greek, a cutting, from temnein, to cut. See tem- in Indo-European Roots.]

Yessir, I love tme-freakin'-sis!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not terribly exotic, but I love the word conspicuity:

\Con`spi*cu"i*ty\, n. The state or quality of being clear or bright; brightness; conspicuousness. [R.] --Chapman.

I first heard it during a road trip with my Mom, at night... a semi was coming at us and she said "Look at all the conspicuity lights on that truck!" And she had the little grin on her face that told me that she had only brought it up because she liked using the word. Plus, it's fun to say.

[ October 20, 2004, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Ralphie had a good one in a past thread:

avuncular
1. Of or pertaining to an uncle.
2. Resembling an uncle, especially in kindness or indulgence.

I just realized if you say it enough times you start to sound like a benevolent Count Dracula... "I von't keel her".

Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
obstreperous

adj 1: noisily and stubbornly defiant; "obstreperous boys" 2: boisterously and noisily aggressive; "kept up an obstreperous clamor"

My choir director always used this one. He'd say something like "Try that on that measure there and we'll leave it like that unless it's too obstreperous..." So funny. He also used lugubrious, so I knew what it meant already. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
nipplicious - nip pul lish is.
define: When it's very very very very cold.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked tintinnabulation:

Main Entry: tin·tin·nab·u·la·tion
Pronunciation: "tin-t&-"na-by&-'lA-sh&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin tintinnabulum bell, from tintinnare to ring, jingle, from tinnire
1 : the ringing or sounding of bells
2 : a jingling or tinkling sound as if of bells

Keeping time, time, time,
In a sort of Runic rhyme,
To the tintinnabulation that so musically wells

--"The Bells", Edgar Allen Poe

[ October 21, 2004, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: xnera ]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

Turgan, great word, but it has to be in Webster's or some accredited dictionary. I couldn't find it at dictionary.com, however, aGoogle search brought up some interesting hits!

xnera, I'm really freaked out right now. Did you just read my mind? I was going to use tintinnabulation in my next post!

Lyraluthuen
Member # 6560

- posted      Profile for Lyraluthuen   Email Lyraluthuen         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite has always been kerfuffle. Is there anything more fun to say than that?
Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

"What's all the obstreperous ker-freakin'-fuffle about?"
[ROFL]

Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
oh.. I didn't know that... sorry, i'll be sure to post real words...
oh, and i think this one is a funny word, even though most of you won't.

Seattle.

I always laugh when i hear it. Don't know why.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
indefatiguable

that one gets stuck in my head a lot and won't go away. ironic.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.