FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's so different in person!

Author Topic: It's so different in person!
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard someone use the term "liberal" (as a noun, not an adjective) as an epithet. I'd seen it a lot on various websites, and heard it on radio and TV ads, but never before had someone used it in person when talking to me. I felt myself wince and recoil, though I was too astonished to actually say anything about it. Its use just seemed sorta pathetic to me, to be honest (though I'll grant I usually find it pretty pathetic online or on TV, too). Am I just living a sheltered life, and people actually use the term all the time? I mean, for real life interaction, I probably spend as much or more time talking to various members of my church as anyone outside it (the secluded life of a SAHD), and you'd think a bunch of Bible thumpers would revel in such a word, wouldn't you? *wink*

So I was wondering -- anyone else had experiences that were shocking when they happened in person, even though they weren't shocking via another medium? Just curious.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I hear people say stuff about liberals all the time, but I don't usually hear it in any sort of negative way.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
A girl at Edgewood actually said "LOL" the other day, pronounced "loll." That scarred me.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Kissing in person is much better than posting " [Kiss] ."
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm tempted to say "IMO" sometimes. Kind of like curling your fingers to indicate quotation marks. An annoying habit that's surprisingly easy to develop.

I'm still trying to decide what "liberal" means, so it would be pointless to use it on someone as an insult. People who do use it that way tend to be on the narrow-minded side.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw : That depends on what the person has had for lunch.

[ October 21, 2004, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: dh ]

Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely agree, dkw.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've caught myself wanting to say "LOL" only not as a word, but saying each individual letter.

I've never done it though. It's very scary that I was tempted to.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I admit, I say w00t all the time.

Today I was checking over homework, and one boy's had "WTF?!" written on it next to one of the more challenging problems. I looked at it and said to him, "Don't write 'WTF' on your homework!" He said, "huh?" and, when I pointed it out, blushed quite satisfactorily. He was so used to the acronym that he had posted--er, written it without thinking about it, realizing, or thinking about what it actually meant.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
That's bad, Tom, but there are mathies at this university who mime "alt-tab" and "ctrl-alt-delete" when the conversation starts to drift.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I definitely agree, dkw.
Me too!
[Kiss]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, that's hilarious!! I'm going to do that on my final project this term. "WTF?" [Big Grin]

It's funny, but when I read those three letters, I think the full words (terrible!!) which means I'm probably not used to the acronym enough for it to just become letters and nothing more.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.