FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Super Heroes

Author Topic: Super Heroes
JT
Member # 7086

- posted      Profile for JT           Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that most of the Super Heroes of the day are based in the East Coast. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Batman was in Gotham, in Batman Forever there is a scene with the Statue of Liberty. Spider-Man is based in New York. Superman is in Metropolis whis is somewhere close to Kansas from what the WB's TV show Smallville has hinted. The X-Men are also based in New York. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Kansas is part of the East Coast? [Dont Know]
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Metropolis
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, Easterners are those that need saving. [Wink]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Metropolis is meant to be analogous to Chicago, in the same way that Gotham is a stand-in for New York.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to say that I'm not JT... Just incase anyone is as confused as i was...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not as clear-cut as that, Tom.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
Great link Intelligence3, the stuff that site has on the green lantern is quite extensive, and ammuseing.

The Green Lantern Oath
Green Lantern is famous for the oath he recites when he charges his ring. Originally, the oath was simple: "...and I shall shed my light over dark evil.

For the dark things cannot stand the light, The light of the Green Lantern!" In the mid-1940s, this was revised by science fiction writer Alfred Bester into the form that became famous during the Hal Jordan era: "In brightest day, in blackest night

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might

Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!" The word "blackest" is often replaced with "darkest" to avoid racist connotations.

It has since been established that each Green Lantern has his, her, or its own oath. Notable oaths include that of Jack T. Chance : "You who are wicked and evil and mean

I'm the nastiest bastard you EVER have seen!

Come one, come all, put up a fight

I'll whup your asses with Green Lantern's Light!" and that of Rot Lop Fan, a Green Lantern whose species lacks sight, and thus has no concepts of brightness, day, darkness, night, color, light, or lanterns: "In loudest din or hush profound

My ears hear evil's slightest sound

Let those who toll out evil's knell

Beware my power, the F-Sharp Bell!"

Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I've been thinking a lot about super heroes recently, but I think it's enough for a seperate post.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Holey rusted metal, Batman!
Does anyone else remember that? Oh man..it was hilarious. [ROFL]
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
LOVED that line. LOVED.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, it was hillarious.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.