FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help w/ a computer problem...

Author Topic: Help w/ a computer problem...
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandfather has an iMac G5 that's giving him trouble:

quote:
..my computer keeps telling me that " your
startup disc is almost full, make space available"

How do I fix this for him? I've never encountered it before...
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming the startup disk has space available? [Smile]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Has he actually checked his available free space?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

If there is plenty of free space, when does the error occur? Right at startup, or after the system's been running for a while?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

...there's no way he's filled the whole hard disk. I refuse to believe it. It's 80 GB and the man uses the computer for solitaire, email, and the occasional Word document. There's something up, I'm not sure what.

Tick,
Don't know. I'll ask.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

That's what I figured, just wanted to be sure. [Smile] He may need to run the disk utility to repair the disk, something like that can happen when the file structure gets a little funny.
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Okay, I'll tell him to do that...thanks Tick.
TheTick
Member # 2883

No prob. If that isn't it, perhaps our mac gurus can check in and give some more advice. You may want to put that it's for a mac in the title if they don't see it soon. [Wink]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
He likely has too little RAM, and is leaving a program with a memory leak running.

His virtual memory is filling up pages, almost certainly.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
The IMac G5 runs on OS X. Check system preferences and look for the startup disk panel. If there are more than one startup disk available, it might be that one of them is on a small partition.

That sounds unlikely if he just uses it the way you say, but I agree that it isn't likely he's filled up 80GB, unless he's downloading movies or something.

It might also be set for network startup, but if there is no network available it should just go to the main hard drive.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.