FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Friends should not ask friends

Author Topic: Friends should not ask friends
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
to read their teenager's first attempt at fiction, and give them an honest crituque. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, ouch. Tough one.

Good luck.

-Trevor

PS Just don't tell me she didn't ask you on a dark, stormy night...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd advise being very thorough and very honest and prevent another incidence of this behavior.

"Well, little Chucky's poem is super trite and unfortunately he's packed everyline with cliches. I hate anything about kittens, anyway. Does he like football?"

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Evil Laugh] are you sure they're your friend?
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I like the advice of being thorough and honest. [Big Grin] I doubt you'll ever get asked again.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't think about the PARENT, think about the teenager.

All that's needed is encouragement. "I can see he/she has a lot of talent, and if he keeps at it, who knows what could happen. Is he sending his work to professional editors? The worst they can say is no, and they're the only ones whose critiques actually matter."

Then, the next time you're asked, just say, "No, thanks. I have so much to read already, and the only critique that matters is from professional editors anyway. Start mailing out those stories/poems/recipes!"

The only way to make it stop is, of course, to say no and mean it. That consists of refusing to take the manuscript into your hands, and NOT EXPLAINING. "I don't critique manuscripts," you say. "Why?" they say. "I don't critique manuscripts," you say. And you keep saying it. If they start to get angry, you can say: "So is our friendship contingent on my obeying your demnd that I do something that I choose not to do? Are you going to end our friendship over this?" "I just want to understand why!" "First, I think you should examine why you are demanding that I perform this service." It can be unpleasant, but DO NOT BEND. Nobody can make you critique a manuscript if you really don't want to do it.

But don't, please DON'T, punish the poor kid by giving a devastating critique.

Besides, how do you know YOUR critique is accurate?

And how do you know that there might not be talent there, once the kid gets older; and your "thorough, honest" critique might stop a very talented artist from emerging, because he's now ashamed to let anyone see his work?

Critiquing young artists is a grave responsibility. Refuse to do it, or do it kindly; don't use a critique as a means of punishing someone for daring to ask you to read an amateur's work.

[ April 17, 2005, 04:25 AM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and what makes you think you've got what it takes to make critiques?

Just because you're a successful, published author doesn't mean you have any clue about writing.

[ April 17, 2005, 04:48 AM: Message edited by: jebus202 ]

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I hang my head in shame.

OSC is right.

I was wrong. [Grumble]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
That all depends. Probably quite a lot of people here want to be published authors themselves. There's only so much market share to go around. So utterly blasting a talented writer, causing him to go into the burger-flipping line, is a Good Thing (tm) for all the Hatrack wannabes, who now have one less competitor. So who do you care more about, the child of some random friend, or Hatrack? Say something nasty!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM, you're soo evil and cold-harted! [Mad]

Wanna be my friend? [Evil]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not cold-hearted, I just have my priorities straight. What do I care about the child of someone who isn't on Hatrack?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
There's always the fact that the same advice can be given to both good and bad writers: Keep at it.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Foust, that's a good point.

I would also refuse, politely.

"Sorry, but I really don't think I'm the best person to do a critique. For one thing, I don't like to take on that type of job unless I can do it properly, and devote the kind of time to it that I should. Right now I don't have that kind of time.

The best advice I can give your child is to keep working at it. Most writers aren't proud of their first work, but the best way to get better is to keep trying."

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
KoM, writers aren't in competition with each other. We're in competition with sports, videogames, dvds, tv shows, conversations, and naps. And ANY writer who can convince someone that reading a book is fun and rewarding benefits us all, because then that reader will seek out MORE books. Maybe mine.

Good writers give us a bigger pie - a larger audience of eager readers. We all have a shot, then, of getting a bigger slice of the pie. But a great videogame IS competition because it is addictive and takes people away from reading.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Possibly you didn't spot the implicit tongue-in-cheek smiley in that post.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
In most stories you can find some good point that you can say "They did this right, but..."

Does your friend believe it's very good?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I will do what OSC said.

I don't at all feel qualified to critique it. And this is my very best friend, the one who has quite literally dropped everything and called in to work to help me out, and calls me from work to check up on me. I think she is just bursting with pride and wants me to be too. He's a very intelligent boy, and I don't mind her sharing his report card. I just don't think I could give an honest assesment without hurting them both.

But really, who would rather nap than read

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...writers aren't in competition with each other. We're in competition with sports, videogames, dvds, tv shows, conversations, and naps.
And Hatrack. Don't forget Hatrack.

What manner of evil have you wrought upon would-be novel readers? [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"But really, who would rather nap than read"

I am getting of an age, combined with a recent illness, where it is not a choice.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What manner of evil have you wrought upon would-be novel readers?
Don't forget about the would be novel writers [Smile]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack takes me away from my reading. Mr. Card, you've created your own competition here!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting the feeling that critiquing writing is a lot different than critiquing something very visual, like animation. With my stuff, I spend maybe an hour or two working on it, then three hours trying to find as many people as I can to tear it apart, then spend another half an hour implementing their suggestions. I think most of my classmates are the same way.

Is it that writing is more personal to the author than animation is to the creator? Or that writing is more open to different interpretations, while animation pretty clearly works or doesn't?

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Um, no. When I ask for critiques on my writing, I want to know everything that's wrong with it in as much detail as possible. It's the only way to learn how to write better and to improve the work. But then, writing isn't just for play for me - I'm serious about it. I would like writing novels to turn into a profession.

Here, we're talking about critiquing the writing of a young person who may be crushed emotionally by too harsh a crit. Possibly better to give encouragement. [Dont Know]

Zeugma
Member # 6636

Hmm... so when does a person pass from needing encouragement to needing honest critique? After they've written a decent amount, or after they leave home, or what?

Here's a question... if a high schooler gets nothing but encouragement and falsely positive critiques, then goes to college and gets nothing but honest and somewhat harsh critiques, doesn't that do more to hurt his ego and enthusiasm than simply letting him know where he stands early on? Not to be devastatingly cruel about it, there are plenty of ways to give a negative critique cushioned by positives, but don't you want the young writer to know that he's improving?

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

"Hey, X! This is one of the best stories I've ever seen from someone still in high school! Great work!

The only things I noticed were this, that and the other thing. Changing them to read more like such and such might really kick this up a notch. Also, the overall structure could be even better if you made it more like blah blah blah.

Overall, though, this is a great start! Can't wait to see more!"

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, encouragment and honest critique can live together. . .
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yup, I agree. Just . . . tread carefully, perhaps.

Having said that, I've encountered a lot of writers looking for a pat on the back, but don't want honest crits. They just want to be told they're fabulous. Then they wonder why they can't get published despite lack of character development, coherent plot, and spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors.

[Dont Know] Got to find a balance in it. With professional writers, it's easier, in my experience. They tend to take the crits with less apparent emotion and more interest in actually improving the work.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Is it that writing is more personal to the author than animation is to the creator? Or that writing is more open to different interpretations, while animation pretty clearly works or doesn't?"

There are many things I want from a critique now, that I did not even know I wanted when I first joined Group 6 on Hatrack.

I definitely had to be ready for it, and it was a tough thing for a bit. Then it was fun, and I got to the point of saying, "Have at it!" It helped so much.

However, then I got to a point with my story where a writing teacher, who is a published writer herself sent me to a friend of hers who writes historical fiction.

For some reason, what she said totally blocked me from writing for the last two years, almost. I was writing a story based on Gilgamesh, and she brought up these points that a publisher would, about treading carefully with the religion, and all sorts of other things.

I realized how far from my story that would take me, and I realized that I had no interest in being a published writer.

I am sure it is more complicated that that, but that is how I look back on the fact that I haven't written a wrod since having a high end critique. She loved the work, and thought it had great potential. I think it was the reality of it maybe becoming something that frightened me. I am really not sure.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, there's nothing worse than writing something becuase you were encouraged to and then getting it torn apart. That happened with the one informal Hatrack writer's group I was in. I joined at urging, wrote something that I finally sort of enjoyed writing and didn't hate, and then it was ripped apart. I was mad. That is probably proof of my unprofessionalism, but then, I never started out to be one.

My guess is that if the parent is asking people to critique it, they probably encouraged the writer to write it or show it. If a writer wants critiques on their own, they'll find a way to get them.

No, I haven't written anything since beyond the joke poetry in threads here and you can be sure I won't be showing it to anyone when/if I do. Critquing and encouraging early writing is a tender position to be in.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I think there is a huge difference between critiquing and tearing a piece apart. I am sorry that happened, Kat.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, it might have been more gentle than I percieved - I mean, it might not have been as thorough a tearing apart as it felt like.. I just wasn't ready for any criticism, and had only written it under encouragement of the person who critiqued it. I was so mad.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.