FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ahem, Landmark?

Author Topic: Ahem, Landmark?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that if SteveRogers's landmark is up on the archive, mine should be too (he posted it after me). Or, is there some evil conspiracy of yours that the landmarks are MODERATED?

Hmm...!

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, that's his 500 landmark.

Add the new ones on!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
JH, have you considered that this isn't the most gracious way to go about this? You could try asking why it's not there or approaching it as an oversight before you start yelling at people about evil conspiracies and "ahem-ing" them.

Our moderator is a lot nicer than I am, without a doubt, but personally if I was the moderator this thread would make me want to delete your landmark thread. I'm capricious that way. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
It's too bad we don't have a "petulant" smilie or perhaps one to indicate a mini temper tantrum.

[ April 17, 2005, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

It wasn't meant with such a tone. Sorry if it seemed so.

I was using the "ahem" and the conspiracy as humour - but forgot to mention'em such. Basicaly, I was asking for an explanation and pleaing, but it must've just looked wrong.

So let's try again:

Dear moderators,

I would be interested in knowing why the landmarks have not been updated for a while, and whether you could update them? I know it's a hard job with much scanning, but still?

Thank you in advance,
Jonathan Howard

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Much better and usually more effective. Humor is often lost when you are posting a tongue-in-cheek type post.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think fewer landmarks should be archived. Perhaps we should archive any thread, for example, that at least three people ask to have saved for posterity.

[ April 17, 2005, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm. That's a little better, thank you.

I figured you were probably going for humor with the first post, to me the pleading was just a bit over the top for a first request. I've always found it far more effective to start relatively mild, perhaps even jocular, moving into whiney, demanding, and annoying only when I don't get my way immediately. [Wink]

[ April 17, 2005, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Approximately once a month, I send a list of landmarks to the administrator to be archived (though now I assume I'll just do it as Papa Janitor) -- landmarks which have been inactive for approximately a month. Occasionally I'm not right on the beginning of the month, and occasionally I fudge the "inactive for a month" a little to keep them in order.

Yours, JH, hasn't been inactive for a month yet (though if it receives no new responses by May it will go in the next batch). If you note the Landmark Thread when it pops up each month, you can see which landmarks are still active and which are archived, but you'll see all of them on the list. The list is updated pretty much every time I see a landmark, but the archiving and thread-bump is only once a month now.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I see...

So it's the system-conspiracy! [Wink]

Thanks, Papa Moose/Janitor, and again, I'm sorry.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Pop, my 5,000th post thread, which is archived here, wasn't a landmark. It doesn't need to be taking up space in the landmark forum. You're welcome to remove it, subject to your discretion, whenever you like.

[Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.