FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pod coffee makers

Author Topic: Pod coffee makers
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
Our department is getting a pod coffee maker. Basically, you put in a pod which makes one cup of coffee/tea.

We're responsible for providing our own pods.

Has anyone used one of these before? Any brand recommendations for the coffee?

Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
On "America's Test Kitchen" they did a thing on coffemakers, and said that you have to use the pods for that particular brand of coffemaker, because they don't fit in each others' systems.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Was looking at them on the 'net. Can you only use each pod once? That could get expensive. I think I would try to use mine twice -- even if it meant a much weaker second cup...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Pod coffee makers make terrible coffee, Farmgirl; I wouldn't invest in one. It's because the coffee is ground so far in advance and sitting in the pod for so long, it gets stale and tastes like crap.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, pod coffee bears a resemblence to real coffee even less than boiled teabags taste like real tea.

It's both tastier and less expensive to buy a small "4"cup coffeemaker with a reusable filter than to go the pod coffee route.

And nope, ya can't reuse pods to make a second cup. All the pleasant coffeeness is taken by the first run-thru of water.

[ May 04, 2005, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd skip the pod coffe and buy a travel press mug from Starbucks. They make pretty good coffee on the go.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Where's Pod for this thread? [Big Grin]
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a pod coffee maker a while ago. It's a lot easier to make coffee with than a regular coffee maker, in my opinion. Plus I don't end up wasting a lot of coffee like with a regular coffee maker. I didn't notice that the coffee tasted worse than from a regular coffee maker. In fact, it tasted better than the few times I've made coffee in the regular coffee maker we have. I haven't had any problems with different brands of pods not fitting my coffee maker, but sometimes two pods don't fit in even though they're supposed to. Last time I tried two pods the lid didn't close completely and hot water started spraying out halfway through making the coffee.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
RRR, what brand of pods do you use?
Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.