FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy birthday, Jonny! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Happy birthday, Jonny!
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Today is Jonathan Howard's 15th birthday! Yom huledet sameach, Jonny! [Hat]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy b-day, JH!

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
15? I thought he was older than that. My "little" brother just turned 15, too.

Happy Birthday!
[Party]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
*Smile.*

I actually thought you people would get it from my landmark post, but OK... Raia remembered from Wednesday...!

(((Hatrack))), you're the BEST! (Except my forum, which is more elegantly categorised and will have the same people.)

*Shuts up, and hugs all.*
JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]

Thanks!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, JH!
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Thanks, Corwin!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
On which calendar? Happy birthday, Jon. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Julian *wink*.

Aside jokes, the Gregorian. Hebrew is כ"א אייר.

accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy B-day Jonathan!!
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday!
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, Jonny! [Party]

I saw this quote in the preface to The Wizard by Gene Wolfe, and thought of you and your self-improvement threads, Jonny.
quote:
"You asked to become a knight, not an expert in knighthood. To train you further would make you into a scholar, not a fighting man. What remains for you to learn you must learn by living and doing."
from The Book of Knights by Yves Meynard.

Just relax. Much of what you need to know can only be learned through living, with your eyes and heart open. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I just thought of a nice intepretation of Morbo:

More בּוֹ. (More within it.)

And thank you all!
JH

Raia
Member # 4700

Heh... more בו! I like it!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

מוֹדֶה אֲנִי לְפָנָיִךְ. And I'm just putting voweling because I train in it. I've started to write my own scroll in ancient Hebrew script - no spaces, except the two levels of paragraphing.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh? I'm kind of late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! *jumps out from behind couch*
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

*Startled.*

Thanks, Steve... Remember to keep on posting on my forum *nudge*. There's a reason it's there, and I'm expecting several hundred members.

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday !
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Thanks, Anna; this has not gone unnoticed.
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy B-Day! PS hi Raia!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altril of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altril of Dorthonion   Email Altril of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Woot. Happy Birthday!!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

*[En]counters Bean.*

Happy Altáriël of Dorthonion!

*Claps hands and looks around for cake.*

*Doesn't give a damn that it's the 18th local time. Keeps this as the official Hatrack Birthday Thread.*

Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Originally posted by Bean Counter:
Happy B-Day! PS hi Raia!

BC

[Wave]
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
Ja må han leva, ja må han leva många lyckliga år!
(Means something like this: let him live happily for may years to come. Part of a Swedish birthday song)
[Smile]
a little late..

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't Worry,
Be Happy... BIRTHDAY!

Yom huldetet sameach!

Ba'yadaim (*punches JH*)
Ba'raglaim (*kicks JH*)
Lalala, lalala, lalala, lalala,
Lalala, lalala
Ahat Shtaim Shalosh!

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

*Smashes eggs on JH's head and empties bags of flour on his clothes*

Ah, don't you just love typical Israeli birthdays?!

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

Just joking, I didn't mean to be so violent.

Happy Birthday, ad me'ha ve'esrim!

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
Ba'yadaim (*punches JH*)
Ba'raglaim (*kicks JH*)
Lalala, lalala, lalala, lalala,
Lalala, lalala
Ahat Shtaim Shalosh!

Who have you hanged around with? And if I live till 120, that means my mother will nag me at 158 about my eating habits.

25 will suffice... (Apologies to all those who passed that age.)

Toda.

Beanny
Member # 7109

quote:
Who have you hanged around with?
In what sense?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Punch, kick, hang.

Basically: "Who did you learn THAT from?"

Beanny
Member # 7109

I can't believe it. Don't you know the custom of kicking, punching, throwing eggs and flour on boys who have bithrdays in Israel? It's not only in my school, it's everywhere. Well, at least in Gush Dan - where most of the population of Israel resides.
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Well, at least in Gush Dan - where most of the population of Israel resides.
Clearly, it's been a long time since you were in Jerusalem, Beanny. [Razz]
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Yeah, the demography of both the Haredim and the Arabs is increasing. More and more kids roam the streets.

And I'm saying it technically, they tend to have more children.

Beanny
Member # 7109

Whoops...

Well, JH, if you REALLY wanna get stoned on your birthday, wait till it's Saturday, and then enter Me'ah She'a'rim driving a huge truck carrying ham sandwiches.

Of course, you can always say...
"J***V"
Or
"I*V*"

Or just commit adultery.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

... With milk! I don't really like Me'ah She`arim, it's too filthy.

Yes, that is a way. Although writing יקוק is perfectly fine, since it's a different Hebrew script.

I am surprised, though, that you can't say it (the "מקלל"). But the Bible writes it down freely.

Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Well, JH, if you REALLY wanna get stoned on your birthday, wait till it's Saturday, and then enter Me'ah She'a'rim driving a huge truck carrying ham sandwiches.
[ROFL]

Not how I pictured someone getting stoned on his birthday. [Wink]

Beanny
Member # 7109

Oh, I get it, I get it!

JH, throw out the ham sandwiches and put in your truck something green...something good...heaps of it...just beware the cops ;-)

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

שייגעץ!!!

איך בין נישט איינער ווילדע חאיע! פארשטעייסטן מיר?

That's my best in Yiddish. My spelling ain't great. I meant to add MILK/CHEESE to the ham!

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

שייגעץ!!!

איך בין נישט איינער ווילדע חאיע! פארשטעייסטן מיר?

That's my best in Yiddish. My spelling ain't great. I meant to add MILK/CHEESE to the ham!

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! How did I miss this?

For your birthday, I got you a French lesson:

Joyeux anniversaire
Joyeux anniversaire
J'espere que cette chanson va te plaire
Joyeux anniversaire!

(my French classmates and I made that up because there wasn't a standard French Happy Birthday song that we knew of. It's really funny when you sing it really fast to force the meter.)

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Hehe, Annie, that's cute!
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Merci millfois! (Sp?)
Mon amie, "mon ami" sassieufi. (Sp?)

Jieu (sp?) non parlepa (sp?) francais...

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
"sassieufi"

I love it!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

I remember a French lesson in which I had to greet a fellow classmate for new year. The teacher gave us a list of words from which we had to chose.
I wished my friend a "bon poisson", and that was the end of my days as a Francophone.

***It wasn't on purpose, we eat lots of fish on Hebrew New Year's Eve (Rosh Hashana), and she DID have the word on the list!!!

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Thanks.

Thanks. [Smile]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

"Poisson"?
Raia
Member # 4700

Fish.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

What's so terrible about "good fish"?
Beanny
Member # 7109

I was supposed to say "have a good year", JH. Instead I wished her a fish. That's not very nice.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.