FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Medical Question about Kidney Stones...

Author Topic: Medical Question about Kidney Stones...
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a kidney stone recently, and JenniK had a stone two years ago. We don't know what type mine was as we didn't catch the stone when it passed, but Jenni was told hers was because of caffeine and dark sodas.

She has been very good about avoiding the possible causes, but last night she went to the hospital with the same sort of pains. She thought she might be getting a bladder infection or UTI last Sat, but it seemed to be going away.

The CAT scan last night showed no stones, although they thought that she might have passed one there at the hospital before she was admitted....and her urine showed no infections.

But she is having the same pains again tonight.

We are going to the doctors tomorrow, as planned, but I was just wondering what are tech chances she has a stone that didn't show up. Also, if it isn't a kidney stone what else should we be concerned about?

I have a limited medical background myself, but only as an EMT-Basic, so this is a little bit out of my area of expertise.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a chance stones could reform. I do not want to say his name on the Internet, but please email me for the doctor NOT to go to.

There is a urologist in Northampton known as "Dr. Stan" who is very good. His thing is lemonade. lots of it.

You can also get the pure cranberry and blueberry juice at Stop and Shop.

All that is more preventive, though.

Good luck!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks liz, but Jenni has a doc she has been going to for a while...if he sends her to a urologist I will contact you and get that name though....I remember a little of the story you told us at dinner at your house. [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK.
I will try to find the lemonade link.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

http://www.urostonecenter.com/prevention.asp

That is a good link.

What my husband had was a stricture, which wasn't really a stone, but a blockage they had to open up with a stent.

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to look up my kidney stone thread for more references and bad puns.

There isn't much by way of documented medical or scientific research on the impact of cranberry juice - I'm just sayin. [Big Grin]

My stone came from either way too much protein in the diet, too much soda - another possibility and not enough water.

Good luck on the doc's visit.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I don't know if you or the missus is inclined towards herbal remedies, but a quick google search pulls up a list of suggested herbal remedies and the impact or believed impact of each.

Apparently beer works well too. I'll try that one the next time I develop a kidney stone. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks T, I remember that thread. Happened not that long after mine, I think..

[Frown]

johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea,

I have had three of the miserable buggers. What causes them seems to be linked to so many things one can't make heads or tails of them. I have spoken to my urologist and he said that it depends on the type of stone. Mine have been calcium oxalate types which seem to be linked to dehydration (too much caffeine),coffee, soda, cheese, and citrus, but the truth is he doesn't really know. I may simply have a tendency to produce them and my diet increases the likelihood of formation.

Here is a site with good info!
http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/stonesadults/#top

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I'll tell you what though - there's nothing like passing a stone to make you appreciate water like never before.

-Trevor

Kwea
Member # 2199

No joke there, I got rushed to the hospital in an ambulance, and they ran out of barf bags right as we pulled into the ambulance bay....

On Halloween..in Salem, MA.

The weekend of the Red Sox victory parade; record crowds in Salem that night, for the worlds largest Halloween party.

Not a good night at all.

Kwea

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Trevor, the urologist my husband talks to swears by the lemonade therapy. I thought he had a website, but I cannot find it.

Cranberry and blueberry juice(straight) are just high acid, and more in line with UTIs than kidney stones.

Kwea
Member # 2199

T's link mentioned Lemonade, and Jenni likes that, so I imagine we will be having even more than usual this summer. [Big Grin]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It is quite a bit you are supposed to drink. I think at least three-four glasses a day, fresh squeezed.

Then, when you develop the ulcers...

johnsonweed
Member # 8114

Water is really best, though lemonade is yummy.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been drinking water.. almost a gallon of it yesterday, and I have been unable to eat anything...not for lack of trying, but nothing has stayed down. Not fun. I am going to see the Dr. tomorrow and hope that they find something because I have been up for the past hour with severe pains and nausea. I haven't really been to sleep all night and I am actually quite worried about what the Dr. will say. [Cry] So, if you are the praying type, would you please keep me in your prayers, and if not, would you kindly think good thoughts for me? It will be greatly appreciated. [Blushing]
thanks, -JenniK

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
*sends good vibes*
On a totally unrelated note, did anyone heard about destroying kidney stones with ultrasounds?

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

quote:
Originally posted by Anna:
*sends good vibes*
On a totally unrelated note, did anyone heard about destroying kidney stones with ultrasounds?

It is my understanding that will only work if the stone is pretty big. The problem is that it shatters the large stone into many small ones that still need to come out...ouch.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Good vibes/prayers sent, Jenni.

If you need a ride anywhere when Kwea is working, just let me know.

Kwea
Member # 2199

That isn't true at all, ultrasounds work great,and are the treatment of choice for small to medium stones, and even some larger ones.

Larger ones need other types of treatment at times though. There are lasers as well, and occasionally surgery for huge ones.

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband has a problem with kidney stones...the last one he had was terribly painful. I drove him to the ER and they let him sit for at least an hour in the waiting room as he was screaming and writhing in pain. Then they brought us back and made us wait for more hours (I forgot how many exactly) as he screamed and writhed all over the place in the room. Now, my husband is VERY cautious about germs... he hates going to hospitals..and here my husband is coming into contact with all sorts of surfaces in an examaning room--he hurt THAT bad. Finally, he started screaming at the top of his lungs and they got up off their butts and decided he needed treatment. I think he scared them.

I have never seen anyone in such pain as that. Maybe we should have called the ambulance--maybe then he would have gotten proper treatment.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Anything under 3-5mm you can pass "unassisted," or so they tell me.

And I don't know about you, but I didn't actually toss my cookies until I took one of the "anti-nausea" pills. Before and after that, I was fine.

In waves of excruciating agony, but no more day passes to "happy go pukey land" for me.

As for the lemonade, cranberry and beer remedies, I certainly wouldn't discount them - but for keeping your systems flushed on a daily basis, water is great stuff.

I should feel lucky - not only did I have cute nurses and doctors at my ER trip, but they were quick to offer me drugs if I was in pain. I turned them down, naturally, but I appreciated the offer. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but I keep reading this title and thinking,

"You've got kidney stones!"

"Or?"

"Kidney stones."

"What else could it be?"

"Kidney stones!"

*giggles*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

well the dr doesn't think that it's kidney stones.. although he did say that I had classic kidney stone symptoms. He thinks that it's something with my colon. I have new meds, and so far I have kept my food down, and I'm not in too much pain!
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Woot!

At least we know what it isn't and it seems to be in check.

[Big Grin]

-Trevor

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing about the water... my brother's doctor swears that the kidney stones that both he and his wife have been getting over the past 2-3 years are caused by their water. And they've been using Brita (or maybe Pur, I don't remember which brand, but it's the big gallon spigot pitcher) filters for almost the entire 6-7 years they've lived in this apartment because the tap water tastes so nasty.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Ack - good reason to consider moving.

Or switch exclusively to bottled water and see what happens.

-Trevor

JenniK
Member # 3939

since I hate the taste of water, I would love to not have to drink it. So far the Dr. thinks it's my colon that has been having spasms which caused the pain... the pain that caused me to not be able to keep food down... but no reason yet why my colon would be having spasms.

Thanks to all who have sent their thoughts, prayers, and well wishes. I appreciate it very much. I am now not experiencing the horrifying agony that I did on Monday and Tuesday, but I feel bruised from the inside out, and it hurts to breathe in deep...or yawn, or laugh. So I guess for now I can't get tired, sing, or hear anything funny!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Goody S,
Funny you mentioned that.
I got a coffee at Dunkin Donuts yesterday, and my son just wanted a water. So I ordered a bottled water.
"We don't have bottled water."

"Hmm. Could I just get water?"

"Sure, what size?"

"Um, do I have to pay for it?"

"Nope."

I almost drove into the intercom. Not have to pay for WATER? What a concept?

I often wonder if bottled water really is as good for us as they say. Our well water is very gritty, and tastes like crap, but is tested as safe. And Springfield, nearby, has very nicew tasting water.

Is there a conspiracy?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.