FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » AFI 100 Greatest Film Quotes (grumble)

Author Topic: AFI 100 Greatest Film Quotes (grumble)
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, the American Film Institute aired a 3-hour special on the 100 greatest film quotes, selected by some 1500 artists, critics, etc.

The list is here.

Glaring omissions:

* Nothing from The Princess Bride
* Nothing from Monty Python and the Holy Grail
[Grumble]

Biggest omission of all:

"It doesn't DO anything..." didn't make the list either! [Mad]

Buck Henry had an interesting comment, though, relevant to the last item. He said there is a collection of movie quotes in the collective imagination of the public that don't exist. (He was speaking of "play it again, Sam" but evidently there are a lot of them.)

[ June 22, 2005, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 8259

- posted      Profile for Void   Email Void         Edit/Delete Post 
My personal favorite from The Princess Bride"

MIRACLE MAX:...Now, all dead ... well, with all dead, there's usually only one thing that you can do.

INIGO

What's that?

MIRACLE MAX

Go through his clothes and look for loose change.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, "Hello, Clarice" is another of those. He actually says "Good evening, Clarice."
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as I heard they were doing this, I predicted the winner, and I was correct.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Stray,

another one that people remember is from the plague cart scene in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."

People remember the guy on the cart saying "he's not dead yet" or the old guy saying "I'm not dead yet."

Neither phrase is uttered in that particular scene. And yet almost anyone who has seen the movie remembers it one of those two ways.

Makes it even stranger that "Holy Grail" fans are pleased they get the joke contained in the name of the organization I work for - Not Dead Yet.

(I understand the musical has incorporated the phrase into the song, at least, though. So in at least one case our collective imaginations have influenced art.)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
"Luke... I am your father"
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Monty Python and the Holy Grail wasn't an American movie, so would it even qualify for consideration on a list promulgated by the AMERICAN Film Institute?
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Ooops. [Embarrassed]

You're right, of course. I wasn't thinking in terms of the limiting factor being American films.

They're off the hook for slighting Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

But not for the rest! [Mad]

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
"Luke... Your Mumma!"

And... Whatever it was Sir Humphrey said which the PM summarised to "do you mean you've lost your key" in Yes, Prome Minister.

Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why some of those even made it on there... But at least one of my alltime favorites is there "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" [Big Grin]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

I just signed on to Hatrack to make exactly this observation. Prepare to die, Drake.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Biggest omission of all:

"It doesn't DO anything..." didn't make the list either!

LOL I had that same thought! Scary [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I like "There's no crying in baseball!"

And "Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth." (Especially since it wasn't written for the movie, but was actually spoken by Gehrig.)

And "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Glaring omissions:

* Nothing from The Princess Bride

*amused by how many of her fora are up in arms about this omission*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, some of those I knew spin-offs from the quotes but not the quotes themselves.

I think it's a shame it was only American, though.

quote:

Made it, Ma! Top of the world!

I just saw this movie the other day! 8)
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't watch it.

Was, "Get off my plane!" from Air Force One, on it?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie:
"Luke... I am your father"

Who says Tommy Boy isn't one of America's finest movies?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Grumble cakes?

Only liars and thieves eat grumble cakes,
and they go to prison.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
How in the name of all that is good and true in the universe could "Go ahead, make my day" ( Sudden Impact, 1983), at #6, come in ahead of "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!" ( White Heat, 1949) at #18? And "Love means never having to say you're sorry" ( Love Story, 1970) should only be on the list from its later appearance in What's Up Doc (1972), where it is followed by "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard" (not sure that's the exact quote). My own nomination for favorite line that didn't make the list is "I've got the most scathingly brilliant idea", from The Trouble With Angels (1966).
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I think AFI did a better job with this list than most of them they put out. The top 100 movies and even moreso the top 100 comedies were full of some terrible movies, most of which got on the list because they're ancient, not good. (IMO, of course.)

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
AFI just does these lists for attention.

They want to tick you off and get you talking about it. Partly because they're interested in advancing movies, and partly because they want more attention for themselves.

They're no more definitive a source on quality than an Olsen Twins fansite guestbook.

That said, I enjoy their specials tremendously.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
I still love this one.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the list of the 100 greatest action movies was pretty close to the mark. It was much better than the other lists.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I still love that Atticus Finch is the AFI's #1 American Movie Hero.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.