FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » really random question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: really random question
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know why peanut butter and similar products such as Peanut Butter Cups are so hard to find outside the US (basically Europe, Australia, etc)? I mean, they have peanuts, why don't they make peanut butter?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Really random answer:

A peanut sat on a railroad track;
His heart was all a-flutter.
Along came a choo-choo train...
*train whistle*
Pea-ee-ee-nut Butter!

edited to add a serious answer:

I have no idea, though I'd be curious to see the answer.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

I feel bad for the peanut now.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it has something to do with that famous American, George Washington Carver, the peanut pioneer.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Peanut Butter mixed with Nutella is really good.

But you can't find Nutella everywhere in America either.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Peanut Butter mixed with Nutella is really good.
Duh! Tell me something I DON'T know! That's like saying air is really good to breathe.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Yea Nutella is the Peanut Butter of elsewhere, which made me sad when I was in Italy because I hate hazelnut flavored things. Beware, what you think is chocolate may actually be nutella. They even have nutellerias. Crazy stuff.
Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I think it has something to do with that famous American, George Washington Carver, the peanut pioneer.

This definitely has the air of sense about it.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, either, but I remember that when I lived in Israel, peanut butter was insanely expensive and came in tiny containers. That was a while ago, I admit I didn't check the peanut butter out on my most recent trip there. [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Presumeably, it's more expensive to import the stuff into Europe and the Middle East as opposed to the US where we grow the nuts domestically.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

They have loads of peanuts though.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Then I don't have a clue.

Just a quirk of cultures, perhaps?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

mayhaps. that's probably the reason for why it started out that way, if they had hazelnuts growing, but no peanuts.
Megan
Member # 5290

A smidgeon of peanut history

The History of Peanut Butter

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you could buy Nutella at Trader Joes?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

I can find it in the grocery store, I think...
kojabu
Member # 8042

Apparently Nutella sells more worldwide than all peanut butter. Nutella Info

I think it's time to spead the peanut butter love and eat some.

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm I love peanut butter.

quote:
Duh! Tell me something I DON'T know! That's like saying air is really good to breathe.
quality. [Smile]
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, seriously, did anyone think that peanut butter would take off and be more popular than chocolate?

I mean, if I had access to Nutella and Peter Pan, I think I'd pick the chocolate, too.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

this thread was actually inspired by the tiny peanut butter cups in my ice cream.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The answer is simple - the hazlenut is FAR superior to the peanut.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

No! Never! I will not allow the hazelnut to be better than the peanut!

Peanut Love Forever!

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
What do they use for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches if you can't buy peanut butter? Don't tell me the rest of the world has no PBJs! <distraught>
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
The hazelnut is superior to the peanut. That's just a fact. That said, peanut butter is a very, very nice thing. It's one of the few things that make chocolate edible, for instance. (Hazelnuts are another. Sticks of cracker are another.)
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm allergic to hazelnuts-- and I hate peanuts.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard there's a place in town selling fresh roasted hazelnuts... gonna have to go check them out.... [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard in some places they use almond butter, which i've never tasted. My yoga teacher was a huge fan of it though. [Dont Know]
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
But you can't find Nutella everywhere in America either.

You obviously haven't been looking very hard. I've seen it in just about every grocery store in this area and we're not even all that international in these parts.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in flippin' Alaska, and I can get Nutella at any grocery store. It's not terribly popular, but it's not hard to get, either.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Australia and have never had any problems buying peanut butter. Every supermarket stocks it.

Peanut butter cups however - well, Australian tastes just don't like the peanut butter + chocolate combination that Americans do. We have peanut M&Ms but not peanut butter ones. I think we have one chocolate bar with peanut butter in it, and it's not really popular.

I'm sure it's because our palates are more sophisticated. [Razz]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Or, you know, dulled into oblivion from eating all that Vegemite. [Razz]
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Imogen's right - we're really not a nation of sweet-tooths. Peanut Butter itself is easy to come by, but you'll find just as many Aussies putting Vegemite on their toast of a morning.

Peanut butter cups eerrrggghhh.....

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
What do they use for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches if you can't buy peanut butter? Don't tell me the rest of the world has no PBJs! <distraught>

Some of us have old and sophisticated cultures and wouldn't dream of putting jelly on bread. I mean, ick. Incidentally, what's with the horrible sliced bread you Americans eat? Not only does it last as long as cardboard, it tastes the same. Besides, slicing bread is good exercise.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mean, if I had access to Nutella and Peter Pan, I think I'd pick the chocolate, too.
But if you're eating real peanut butter, like Adam's, it's just the thing sometimes.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Even our dinky little neighborhood grocery store has peanut butter. [Dont Know] And we can get nutella here, too. And this is outer darkness.

Hey, kq, I'm allergic to hazelnuts, too! Except, I'm actually only allergic to the papery outer layer of them. That makes me stop breathing. But the rest of the nut is fine. Which has me happy, cuz I love my nutella!

Um, Fahim hates peanut butter. I think it's here for the foreigners.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Careful, there! Tinkerbelle can get quite jealous.

Not to mention your hubby.

Lost boys indeed!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Nutella USA

They have a button called "store finder" but it didn't locate my town, even though I can buy it in at least 2 of the 4 grocery stores in town. [Dont Know]

Oh, and I have a recipe for Nutella cookies. Yummmmm!

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I like cashew butter.
I wish I had some right now. I'd eat it happily with a spoon.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Oo almond butter sounds like it would be good. I wonder if it would taste anything like almond paste, if it's not the same thing.

I don't know what I'd do without PB&J. It saved me when I was in Rome, but not without having to hunt down the PB first.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
hazelnuts are the superior nut to peanuts. Why? Because peanuts *aren't really nuts*. They're legumes. And disqualified. [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

I like butter made from other nuts as well. It's definitely a different taste.
kojabu
Member # 8042

Bah! I shall not discriminate based on nut status.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I once tried some health-food concoction called "No-Nut Butter". It is made from soybeans, for those allergic to nuts. The label rhapsodised about the benefits of soy protein, and told you how many grams of soy protein was in the stuff.

It was foul and inedible. I could dubplicate the taste and texture if I soaked some corrugated cardboard in sour milk, and ran the whole thing together in the blender with some blackboard chalk.

Why don't we have a barfing or a yucky-face graemlin? [Dont Know]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I'm allergic to hazelnuts-- and I hate peanuts.

So much for us having similar food likes!

I love peanut butter and peanuts. And hazelnuts. And Nutella. And chocolate spread. And peanut butter cups. Especially the tiny ones in ice cream.

Soy nuts (roasted soy beans) are not bad either. But I agree, they make absolutely dreadful "butter." Bleh!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like cashew butter.
I wish I had some right now. I'd eat it happily with a spoon.

Hey Syn, if you were at Twin Oaks Community, you'd get to eat cashew butter all the time, since they buy it in bulk from East Wind... [Smile]

(I've still got 10 lbs. of almond butter and 15 lbs. of cashew butter that I brought with me when I moved from East Wind, mmmm [Cool] )

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

See, I can't stand roasted soy nuts (or really, anything soy except for soy sauce). The idea of a soy nut butter...oh, ugh. Gross. The stomach curdles.
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that it is the texture of peanut butter that many foreigners dislike.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The peanut butter they have in Italy isn't really peanut butter. Just like the boxed milk bears no relation to real milk.

Sure, KoM-- go on about the superiority of European cultures while swilling irradiated, room temperature, dead milk. [Smile]

They have Nutella at just about every supermarket I've ever been in, by the way. What they DON'T carry is a really good brand of olive oil.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Room temperature? Who on Earth drinks room-temperature milk? Not me, for sure.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

The peanut butter I had in Italy was pretty darn close. I also found some Skippy, which I'm pretty sure was peanut butter. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.