FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I've discovered what hell really is.

Author Topic: I've discovered what hell really is.
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
It's living on a planet that has a 24 hour day, while your brain thinks that it's a 26 hour day. Seriously. I'm sick of these sleep problems. I'm grumpy right now, so just ignore me if you want to. I need to vent. Working a 6.5 hour shift, then being required to wake up less than 7 hours after that shift ends so you can start on a new 8 hour shift is not enjoyable, nor conducive to generating the habits and practices suggested by your sleep doctor to overcome the difficulties that arise from being jetlagged every single day. Only by shear will did I manage to keep from passing out (again) because of exhaustion. I've heard it said, "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger." You know what, the person who said that can kiss my grits. I'm getting to the point where I'm wanting someone to just shoot me and spare me the trouble of living with this problem while trying to work and develop a social life at the same time.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you do something to calm yourself? Your agitation is a little scary. Are you in withdrawal from the Ativan? If yes, call your doctor and let her (or him) know that you are agitated and having violent thoughts/impulses.

Or maybe some warm milk and a nap. Or a warm bath.

Feel better,

Tante Esther

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just tired. I got 2 hours of sleep last night because I couldn't go through all the before bed things the doctor suggested (Dim or no light for 2 hours before bed, soak in a hot bath for 15 minutes before going to bed), or any of the other things I did the first two days of the new regimen to help me sleep (sitting in a recliner and not doing anything for about 30 minutes or more to just calm down, listening to soft, quiet music). Right now I'm just really pissed off that I have to deal with this and it seems like no one I know (in RL) gives a flying crap about it. I have to work for 8 days straight before getting a day off, and the one real friend I have seems to be ignoring me. I was great yesterday. Absolutely perfect. While I was working last night, I was having fun, joking around with everyone, even customers, and just basically being me. Today, I'm struggling to keep from breaking down. I should be happier. I got my first "Great job!" pin at work today. But I feel like I'm going to pass out.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I give a flying crap, if it makes you feel any better. [Smile]

I've had insomnia on and off for most of this year (more on than off, though I think I'm mostly over it), so I feel your pain. There's nothing worse than being dead tired all day long and then feeling completely untired when you try to go to sleep.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
You sound liek you're adreneline rushing. Have you tried some chamomile tea?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I give a flying crap, too. I'd rather it not be flying, cuz who knows where it'll land, and it could get messy.

Boris, honey, I hear you. Been there, have the wardrobe. Good luck.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Exercises, and make more friends. I have people who want to kill me, I have 14 hour days in 115 degree heat and at the end of it my clothes are so full of salt they stand in the corner without me in them. I smile alot and laugh alot and I sleep like a vampire on a sunny day.

Run as far as you can run, walk, and get tired then you will sleep.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
Just roll with it, the more you struggle with it and worry about it the worse it will be. I generally deal with around 4 hours of sleep a day, I generally max out at 9 on the weekends. Of course I'll be honest I'm normally a really hyper active person, but hey. The best thing is don't grumble and deal with it in a manner that you can. The more anxiety you build up over it the harder it will be.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, I'm chronically sleep-deprived, not because of insomnia, just life. It is rare that I get more than 2-3 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

Sorry you are so cranky. Hope the new regimen works and helps you. Can you do some of it simultaneously? Like bathing with the lights out (or maybe just a candle or night light)?

And for once, I find myself in harmonious agreement with Bean Counter. (!) Get exhausted not only from sleep deprivation, but from real physical exertion and you will sleep better.

Feel better,

Tante Esther

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, are you unionized? Because if you are, there's got to be rules against this sort fo thing. I know where I work, they can't give you less than like 9 hours between shifts.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ask for a steady shift, days or nights, if possible. This will help you set up a steady sleep schedule.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Eaquae, I first read that as "un-ionized". I was wondering if being ionized would help a person sleep better. *chortle*

Sorry, Boris. I've noticed on the nights I desperately need to get a full night's sleep and early so I can get up early, I can never fall asleep! I haven't had really, really bad struggles with insomnia, but I've had some. Basically, if I *have* to sleep, I can't, and if I'm not supposed to sleep, I'm nodding off all the time! My inner self strongly resists being told when to sleep.

And if I don't get enough sleep, I am useless to the world. I can't think clearly, I feel like crap, and I am emotional. But the not being able to think clearly gets so severe it's scary. If I can, I will drop everything and take a nap. But when you have to be at work, you just can't do that. Frustrating!!

Take care, sleep when you can. [Frown]

P.S.: Being physically exhausted (as in just having exercised intensely) before bedtime does help me.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
I first read that as "un-ionized".
Nutty chemists!
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Boris, what have you decided to do, about this problem? I know there are several suggestions made to you on another thread.

You went to a doctor, I think? How'd it work out?

Here's another idea, for the personal-issue part, not the medical part: http://www.mkp.org/training.htm . The page used to say "Radical Departure," which sounds like something I'd want if I had such a hard-to-classify issue. If this is what hell really is, then try everything till you get a fix -- that's my thought!

[ July 03, 2005, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Will B ]

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.