FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Asking the rebbetzin, looking for literature. (possible mayfly)

Author Topic: Asking the rebbetzin, looking for literature. (possible mayfly)
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka (or anyone else), could you recommend any texts or readings regarding the unity of God in the Jewish tradition? I'm looking particularly at Exodus 3:14, and at this point, any sort of theology surrounding it, the older, the better.

Thanks!

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps "The Midrash Says", Volume II, (The Book of Shemos/Exodus). Published by Bnay Yakov Publications (718) 376-5903.

I don't suppose you will find this outside of a Jewish book store, but I'm sure it can be ordered.

The text is completely in English, and it makes a good companion to the original work (the Bible, that is).

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The Midrash Says (one volume or the set) can also be purchased online. (The layout of the page is a bit confusing; you want the green volume on the top right.)

It's a good overview of Jewish understanding of the text.

For readings specifically on the nature of God, I recommend the late R' Aryeh Kaplan's writings. Specifically, If You Were God. Some articles by him and excerpts of his books are available at Aish.com, such as this one. It is an excerpt from The Handbook of Jewish Thought, Volume 1.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.