FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » To Quit or Not To Quit

Author Topic: To Quit or Not To Quit
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you know when it's time to quit your job? A man just told me that if you were thinking you should quit your job, you probably missed the right time six months ago. So how do you know?
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Quit when you feel like you are about to get fired if you stay there another second.
That's one reason why I am quitting Stop and Shop.
I am just going to get surlier, ruder and more insubordinate.
Plus my knees hurt and I have a great little temp job if I can just hold on to it and not screw up.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on how much you need the money, and how badly they can hurt you with bad references, and what you have riding on your income level. If you can always move home to your parents' basement, then you're free to quit whenever you want. But if you or your spouse is pregnant and you need health insurance to make sure your baby is covered from the moment of birth, you'd have to be INSANE to quit your job.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Unless your job has you involved in criminal behavior. Then quit it right now, regardless.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
When they change the locks on the door, and don't give you a new key.

When they rent out your office to a homeless Cryptologist.

Six months after they move out of state without forwarding you the new address.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Is this becoming a game? In that case:

When your paycheck bounces.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
When you die.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I did once quit a job because my payckeck bounced.

In this case, I don't need the job financially-- it's just a second job-- though it's nice to have the extra money, but it seems like so much extra work.

And I'm not doing as good a job as I used to, coming in late, and whining to leave early.

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Then quit.
It's not fair to your employees and employer for you to drag yourself in late and then go, "can I leave early, now? Please before I chew off my own limb?"
I know this because I hate working at the supermarket so much, that I shuffle in 10 minutes late (When I should leave the house 10 minutes early) and growl and grumble all day about being there.
Compared to this temp job where I come in 20 minutes early and ready to work enthusiastically.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
When you work for a company that when they want to get rid of you, they not only fire you, but frame you as well (to get some leverage over you in case you file for unfair dismissal).

Unfortunately, in my case, I'm not making this up.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starbuck
Member # 4552

- posted      Profile for Starbuck           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's funny how you think this is a joke . . .

[Smile]

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now you tell me! [No No]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm due to get a new job soon, it's not something I decide so much as realize. When I notice myself thinking "wow that looks like such a fun job" about the bread delivery guy, the UPS man, the grocery store clerks, food servers, and so on, then I know that I'm soon going to get a new job, and so I start looking. I don't usually quit until I have already taken my next job, though. I did once, but it worked out great. I found the perfect job right away.

It's always been a good thing, when I've changed jobs. I would probably have stayed with my first company forever, if they hadn't closed our whole section and sent us out to look. It was a really good job. But because when I started looking I got five offers, also because I was so shocked and upset at first that the company would do that to us, but then I came to realize that business is just like that, that they will keep you exactly 2 weeks past the time that it's profitable to them to employ you, and you should do the same courtesy for them. When it's better for you to be somewhere else, you go. Two weeks notice is what you owe them. I also have always made myself available to help out on any ongoing projects with which I was involved, once I changed over, to answer questions and so on from the person who took over from me, but that's just extra.

So yes I think it's usually a good thing to change jobs. Studies show that the most successful people change jobs more often. You learn and grow that way. The longest I've stayed in one job is six years.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
<laughs> The ads at the bottom of my page are about quitting smoking, and yes, Deany, you definitely need to quit. [Wink]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I wonder how many of us have had a paycheck bounce. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not necessarily. If you really like the job, and you don't need the money, having your paycheck bouce doesn't have to be a quitting qualification. [Smile]

My senior year in HS, I had a really great, super fun job at a UHF station. I let three of my paychecks bounce before I finally quit. I hated to leave because the job was so much fun. But I had a car payment to think of.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually worked for a company that went bankrupt. Continued working there for about a year and a half while the were bankrupt, and never had a check bounce.

Quit if you have a better job lined up. If you don't have a better job, make sure you've been working there long enough to qualify for unemployment and let yourself get fired instead.

Practice what you're going to say in interviews when they ask why you left/are leaving your previous job.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.