FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Deity as profanity (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Deity as profanity
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I have the bad luck lately of reading the posts with it, or if it actually has been increasing. Either way, it bothers me and yes, it even offends me.

Yes, I know, some of you - potentially a lot of you - don't care. It would seem obvious that at least some of you think that the f word is worse than using deity as profanity.

Guess what? To some of us, it's the other way around.

I would much rather see 5000 f words than one using my deity or my Savior. (And I don't really want to see the f words either.)

I can't stand seeing my deity's name (title - whatever - I'm not getting caught up in semantics, here) used with the disrespect that I've seen here lately. Granted, it hasn't been every thread, or even many threads, only some threads and only some posts. But I really don't want to see it at all.

So I'm asking - begging, actually - to please leave deity out as a form of emphasis or profanity or disrespect.

Please.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Worse, in my eyes, are slurs.
I'd rather see a million lurid swear words than see or hear one slur. Nothing makes me angrier than that n word, that f word, any of those words. I hate them all.
Even if it's someone outside of my group, I hate it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I prefer creative, nontraditional profanity.

Some of my favorites:
"Mother of toast!"
"Mother pus bucket!" (From Ghostbusters)
"Piss-cutter!" (From James Clavell's Shogun)
"You illegitimate son of a toaster!" (Me, yelling at the Xerox machine at work.)

I draw the line at "tanj", though. That one's just ridiculous.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"You illegitimate son of a toaster!"
[ROFL]
I am so using that one!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Mother of toast!! heheheheh

Hey, I remember reading about tanj from OSC's book about writing books.
I kind of like using pox or poxy as a swear.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I can't stand seeing my deity's name (title - whatever - I'm not getting caught up in semantics, here) used with the disrespect that I've seen here lately.

I'm assuming that you're not referring to my habit of yelling, "Oh, Zeus!" when I whack myself with a hammer...?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, "tanj" is from Larry Niven. I'm reading the Ringworld books right now, and I'm thoroughly sick of the word. Also "futz". Also "Finagle". Also "stet", which popped up out of nowhere and caught on immediately as though people had been saying it all along, and never mind the fact that no one is using it in the correct context. [Roll Eyes]

Edit: I should also point out that I can't take credit for "mother of toast". It's something an old college friend of mine said. I liked it enough to add it to my own working vocabulary.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Zeus doesn't bother me, although it would probably bother someone who worships him.

I'm talking about the G word.

But I'm also bothered even when it's misspelled, possibly in an effort of humour.

It just seems to be happening so much more frequently lately, and I'm at the point where I'm going to stop reading threads because these words are just popping up everywhere.

Problem is, I don't know - until I read them - where the offending words are going to show up. So, what? Stop reading Hatcrack altogether? Well, I suppose this is one way of curing the addiction.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
What is 'stet' supposed to mean, anyway? I never got it.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Question, isn't there a bylaw in our sign in agreement about swearing? I seem to remember such. OK, I could always look.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

What "stet" actually means is "no change; ignore the correction". It's used in proofreading. In the Ringworld books, it's used to mean nothing more than "okay", "right", or "understood". So it's pointless, since plenty of words already exist that actually mean those things.

Edit: As for the etymology of "stet", it's from a Latin verb meaning "to stand". So the meaning is something like "it stands [as it is]", hence "do not change this".

quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You also agree that you will not use this forum to try to convert people to your own religious beliefs, or to disparage others for their own religious beliefs.
Problem is that people's definitions of profane differ. Hence this thread.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Care to link to a few examples. I haven't run across it.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
My mum always gets made at me when I say the G word. I try to explain that, to me, it is much less offensive than many other words. That doesn't seem to make a difference to her. I usually 'win' the argument simply because I don't actually say the G word very often. I'm of the mind that there certainly is a place for naughty words.

At any case, when I'm around people who I know it *really* bothers (except my mother, oddly enough!) I try to swear more agreeably with them.

Jebus (I'm not trying to be offensive by typing it, but lets not take being offended to extremes) kind of makes me smile just because of a memory I have laughing at a joke with my friends.

I don't post much (as I was without the internet for 3 months) - but I have read a lot of threads and I haven't noticed too many bad words. That could be because, since they don't offend me, I just gloss over them.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
Problem is that people's definitions of profane differ. Hence this thread.
True. But the advantage here is this: Remember whose message board we're on. For most boards, religious-based profanity would fly all over and if anyone got offended, it would just be too bad for them. But here we're on a message board run by someone who also finds that offensive. So when trying to judge whether your profanity is appropriate or not, consider whether our Gracious Host would think so.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Papa (or other Watcher), I'm having trouble finding the Hatracker forum user agreement. I understand that quid believes that Phanto's post on Book's thread is profanity. From a mod's view, is it?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
If I ever do a comedy routine it will have a nice long bit about profanity. For example, abuse of the F-word, if taken literally, is quite comic. If you tell someone to close the f-in mouths, wouldn't that be extremely painful? I once heard someone ask "where are the F-in grapes." My reply, "Look a few inches below the navel oranges."

Christopher Stasseff once had a character chased by a burning stick because in a very literal world the character got upset when it broke and da..ed the stick with an accidental "Dang it". Now this heck stick was looking for revenge.

However, I recently had a conversation with my nephew I found very disturbing. He goes to Catholic school and was taught that the worst curse of all was Mother F... because it called into question the saintly hood of all mothers including Mary.

Huh?

That is what his teacher taught them, and on him at least, it worked to keep him from using the vulgarity. Still, it is wrong.

The best thing I do when someone uses a diety's name in vain is to respond, "Yes, you called." in my best James Earl Jones voice. Its a non-confrontational way to make them realize what they are actually saying.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Aspectre, you want me to link to deity used as profanity? To me, it's bad enough that it appears at all.

Sigh.

I can. I don't want to. Here's one. Or this one. Or this one. This one works.

Is that enough?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a real stretch to call "for God's sake" a profanity, Quid. I don't know how many people you'll convince of that opinion who aren't already inclined to share it.

How do you feel about "zounds?"

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Sigh.

If you don't agree, that is your choice. I'm not saying that everyone has to agree.

But to me, it is offensive, and I don't like seeing it.

If everyone else wants to keep using it, there's nothing I can do about it except ask that it not be. Which is what I'm doing.

To me, God is my deity. He is someone I worship. He is someone I respect above all others. To see his name (title, whatever you want to call it) used in this way bothers me.

Go ahead. Say whatever you want. I still don't like it and to me, it's still profanity.

Zounds, however, doesn't bother me.

Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it's a real stretch to call "for God's sake" a profanity, Quid.
Actually, its not a real stretch at all. In fact, especially considering again who hosts this place, using Deities name at all outside of religious contexts is deamed profanity.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Thank you, Occasional.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

That would include "zounds", of course. That being a contraction of "God's wounds", and all.

Not being nasty. I agree with quid here. Religious-based profanity doesn't offend me, but I think we need to keep in mind where we are, and temper our language accordingly.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Ah, I wasn't aware that that was where the word originated from. I don't use it myself, but that's beside the point.

Thank you for clarifying that, Verily.

Chungwa
Member # 6421

Personally, I find it much easier to NOT be offended by someone using a 'deities name outside of religious contexts' than by getting worked up about it.

I guess, what I mean is, you might find it easier in the long run if you didn't take what other people write (or say) very seriously if it has the potential to upsets you not because of the message they're getting across, but because of the words they're using to do it (I hope that sentence made sense - I have a terrible headache right now). Of course, this is easier said than done.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's one of the biggest problems people have with me. I don't edit my thoughts and words down to the threshhold of the most sensitive person present, and often not even to the average person's tolerance.

Course it's just as unfair to the person talking to have to cater to those more sensitive.

The flaw in the Golden Rule.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
God is subjective. Why do you assume when someone uses the name of God in a curse it has anything to do with the christian God?

The only instance would be the JC curse, which is aimed squarely at JC himself.

Which brings up the question: If you’re a Scientologist, then what's your version of the JC curse?

*stubs toe*
"Son of a Rondamned Hubbard on a popsicle stick!"

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

Yes, but the problem that is set up HERE is who set this site up and why it exists. In other places I am less offended; as I expect such "ignorance of protocal" when I am listening. Here, however, ANY swear words are questionable. This is especially the case with using Deity's name in vain. If it is allowed, than I question OSC's intentions (or would like him to clarify his feelings on the subject).
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Yes, but the problem that is set up HERE is who set this site up and why it exists."

Intriguingly, "God" is not one of the swear words automatically edited out by our host's software. I suspect that if it were really as problematic for him as you're assuming it must be for all good Mormons (and I say this with a bit of dripping sarcasm), Phanto's posts would have even more computer-inserted asterisks in them.

We have had discussions on this site about our favorite coffees, without even a moment's thought spent worrying about whether Orson Scott Card would approve of our having a favorite coffee. Automatically assuming that your particular brand of Mormon cultural taboo is shared by our host simply because he happens to belong to the same religion -- and that he would want us to observe that particular cultural taboo, despite no instructions in that vein -- seems a bit precocious.

I see nothing wrong with Quid's original post. It bothers her, so she's asked us to stop even though we might not be troubled by it ourselves. That's a perfectly reasonable request, and I for one am inclined to do her that favor. But acting as if observing Mormon cultural doctrines were the bare minimum standard for decency on this site is something that I'm not exactly gung-ho about conceding.

Occasional
Member # 5860

Yet, TomD. God can be used in discussions where it is not used as anything near profanity. Good try, but doesn't work.

And yes, "Good Mormons" would use other swear words quicker than they would profanity of Deity. The others might be bad form, but the other is breaking a Commandment.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

You're forgetting that god as a word can also be used in discussions involved religion and beliefs, so why would it automatically be edited out?

Edited: Occasional beat me to the punch.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I submit that the mere fact that the word "God" can be used in polite conversation on multiple topics, unlike certain four-letter words that, while possessed of multiple meanings, are not considered appropriate for mixed company, suggests that the word "God" is not as inherently vulgar as those other words.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

No one's saying it's inherently vulgar. They're saying that using it as a frivolous swear word is offensive to God. That's an entirely different concept.
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
using Deities name at all outside of religious contexts is deamed profanity.
quote:
Yet, TomD. God can be used in discussions where it is not used as anything near profanity
Blasphemer!

Should we also not talk about drinking coffee or beer, or about premarital sex? I understand that Mormons have different standards, but from what I remember from my years attending the church, non-members aren't necessarily held to them. I was always told it was impolite and disrespectful.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

They're saying that using it as a frivolous swear word is offensive to God.

More appropriately, I think they're saying it's offensive to them.

Because I do lots of things that must offend their God on a regular basis, and I don't hear Occasional complaining about it. (I don't hear God, either, but I may be suffering from stable-dwarfishness.)

But, again, I don't see anything wrong with saying, "Hey, I find this personally offensive. Could you cut it out?" What bothers me is the assertion that the alternative is inherently indecent and/or improper.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
What bothers me is the assertion that the alternative is inherently indecent and/or improper.
I don't know if I'm being obtuse, but I don't understand what you're saying with this. Would you please clarify?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Well, for one thing, you seem to be taking it as a given that "God," when used in this fashion, is being used disrespectfully. I submit that even the most devoutedly atheist of us -- even KoM -- does not say something like "by God" for that purpose. I recognize why you feel that this usage is ultimately disrespectful, but it's worth noting that I am absolutely and completely sure that it is never intentionally disrespectful, even among the unbelievers here. Moreover, there seems to be a latent assumption that such usage of the term would be interpreted by our host as a horrible slight, based solely upon your shared religion -- despite the fact that he, his wife, and other official representatives have never once, in a decade, publicly criticized such usage. While they may indeed consider it offensive to the extent that they would not use such terms themselves, they also clearly do not consider it so offensive as to require their intervention (unlike many other words and assorted vulgarities which HAVE provoked official reaction.)

And I'm not even going to get into Occasional's attitude. He's way too holy for me to judge.

Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand it, and agree.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

The problem, as I have already said, is that using "God" as a profanity is more than considered by Mormons a cultural yes or no. I have conceded that other swear words could easily be considered such. However, avoiding using the Deity's name in vain is considered a COMMANDMENT as in one of the TEN.

And, contrary to what you think, I am actually assuming that Card is a "Good Mormon" on this subject, until he says otherwise. In other words, until farther notice it might be best to be careful at THIS SITE. I am, however, willing to change my expectations as soon as OSC or a representative does respond. That won't, however, change my feelings on the subject in general.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry you choose to take offense where none is intended, Quid, and I hope you stick around, but I, personally, will not support you in this.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally filter my speech here on hatrack becausesome things that I would say, for example, to my wife, would be considered offensive here.

I don't think it's too much to ask for to not use language that is offensive to others.

I also would appreciate it if people would refrain from using the name of deity as an explitive, pejorative, etc..

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"However, avoiding using the Deity's name in vain is considered a COMMANDMENT as in one of the TEN."

Man. Remind me never to mention that I don't particularly respect my parents, or that I'm all about coveting my neighbor's ass. I only hope the fact that He is not in actuality the Lord my God never becomes common knowledge.

Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

ROFL!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Seriously, is that how the "take my name in vain" thing is interpreted by Mormons? Because I've always heard that such an interpretation is in fact based on a very flawed understanding of the text.
Occasional
Member # 5860

TomD. that depends on if those subjects are against the policy of this site. And, using profanity IS considered against the policy of this site. You are trying to argue from a position I am not stating.

Edit: you, again, have heard wrong. Mormons take using Deity's name in vain VERY seriously.

Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

I love these forums, but too many people in here are way too anal about this or that.

Can't we just agree not to curse and leave the dogma out of it?

Chungwa
Member # 6421

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Man. Remind me never to mention that I don't particularly respect my parents, or that I'm all about coveting my neighbor's ass. I only hope the fact that He is not in fact the Lord my God never becomes common knowledge.

Thank you TomDavidson, I'll now go to bed smiling.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Again, my point is that despite a decade of opportunity, our hosts have never indicated that they consider casual use of the word "God" to be inherently profane.

That Quid is offended is a perfectly good reason for those of us who like and respect her to cut back on it. But I'm not buying the pro forma.

Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

Oh, I agree Tom. The second an admin tells me I cannot say God (or [g]od if you prefer), I'm outta here. I'm all for being courteous to my fellow hatracker, but I'm not going to bend to any religion's will for the sake of anyone. Sorry, no can do.
Occasional
Member # 5860

I can understand your last point TomD. However, I do think this thread (notice I haven't spread it to those who have used it in other threads) is the perfect opportunity to get better imput from the author and host.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.