FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Speaking of translations - anyone read modern Japanese lit?

Author Topic: Speaking of translations - anyone read modern Japanese lit?
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Was just over in the Beowulf thread talking about translations, and it got to wondering:

I got into Japanese author Haruki Murakami a few months ago. I started Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World thanks to an article I read online somewheres, and have since read and enjoyed The Wind Up Bird Chronicles immensely. I would like to pick up Norwegian Wood next, but I don't really have any guidance there.

Has anyone here read any Haruki Murakami?

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I read some great reviews of The Windup Bird Chronicles, so I picked it up. I didn't necessarily think it was awful, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're in the mood for a plodding, pointless read, which isn't really half as creative or strange as most people make it out to be. I thought I might check out another book by Murakami, but on reading some sysnopses, they all sound pretty much exactly the same.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

It is slow, and definitely wandering. As I understand it, he just started writing it with no real overarcing plan for the book - he just wanted to go with the moment. For whatever reason, I'm enjoying it a lot more the second time through.

But Hardboiled Wonderland is a better book, certainly. It's also very trim. I'd recommend that one if you ever felt like taking another crack at it.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Wind Up Bird is hailed and adored by most people. I haven't read it, but have a feeling it's going to be one of those books that I don't enjoy, but that the world at large claims is a masterpiece.

The only Japanese author I have read a lot of is Shusaku Endo, who I heard of from reading the afterword at the end of Children of the Mind. OSC mentioned Endo's "Deep River" (I think, I haven't read the end of CotM in awhile). But I went out and got The Samurai and enjoyed it a lot. I have a few other books by him, but I haven't read them in a few years, don't even remember the names.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. It's interesting (and, in my opinion, good).

I'll have to see if I can find some Endo, then. Thanks.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The Samurai, The Sea and Poison and Silence are the ones I have read and I have liked them all.

I still want to get Deep River, but my local book stores rarely even have Endo, let alone that particular book.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

Oh wait! I've read Silence. I knew the name was familiar. I should reread it - I was still in my "if they make me read it for school it's got to be dead-boring phase." It was often a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read any Haruki Murakami, but here's some neat Japanese stuff I've read and can recommend:
Masks by Fumiko Enchi--this book is a lot more rewarding if you're somewhat familiar with The Tale of Genji.
Kappa by Ryunosuke Akutagawa--this is just a neat social commentary. Unfortunately, I haven't read it since high school, so I don't remember much about it besides the fact that I liked it.
Runaway Horses by Yukio Mishima--it's technically the second in the Sea of Fertility cycle, but can be read on its own. Someday I will read the other books.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles and found it interesting, but I did not like how the writer wrote and talked about women. I've read writing by Kawabata that I was pretty fond of. The Pillow Book is super good, by the way.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenneth66
Member # 14790

- posted      Profile for kenneth66   Email kenneth66         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for posting, the post you published have some great information which is quite beneficial for me.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.