FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An odd little thing

Author Topic: An odd little thing
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I might post a fun little topic after some of these more serious topics. So here's a place to post any odd little tidbits that have occurred to you recently.

Here's mine. I always cut through other apartment buildings and such on my way to campus for class. Yesterday when I cut through in the middle of the path was a quarter laying face down. Now that in itself isn't unusual since people do drop money. Here's the unusal part. When I saw the quarter, I thought to myself "Now wouldn't it be weird if the quarter was some year of significance like the year I was born?" So I reach down, pick up the quarter, and flip it around. Sure enough, it's a 1985 quarter. Sort of an odd and random thing to happen.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
you're so young....
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...I was already 2 when that quarter was minted.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
85? I'm too young to feel old [Frown]
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... I was already -4 when that quarter was minted.

[Razz]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Wow, that turned sort of depressing fast.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
That's crazy! (I don't think it's depressing, I think it's cool).

I have a similar story... when I got my cellphone, and he was waiting for a number to pop up, I thought it would be really cool if the number they gave me was one that was of significance, or for some reason would be easy for me to remember.

He handed me the paper with the number on it, and the last four digits are the same of my parents' number in Israel!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, you're the same age as my oldest son.

Which is one reason I keep telling myself to wean myself from Hatrack -- it's a bunch of young college kids, and I don't have anything in common, yada, yada, yada

But I keep showing up here [Smile]

Okay - sorry for derailing you. I will try to think of some little odd thing to contribute.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

My cell number isn't significant for any specific reasons. But it's a palindrome. And that rocks. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, when that quarter was minted it buy about a fifth of a gallon of gasoline!
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like you, Farmgirl. Don't go away!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:

Which is one reason I keep telling myself to wean myself from Hatrack -- it's a bunch of young college kids, and I don't have anything in common, yada, yada, yada

Farmgirl

I think I recognize "yada, yada, yada". Isn't that a reference to some old 90's sitcom?
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Weird Story of the Day:

I was born and raised in Hawaii, but I've lived in Seattle for the past couple years. One of my housemates, named Chris Tanaka, came back with me to Hawaii this past trip home (I got back about a week ago), and we hung out with a bunch of my highschool friends at my friend Sam's house.

I introduce Chris to everyone, and vice versa. As the night goes on, Sam's last name (Michaelson) comes up for some reason. Chris gets a weird look on his face, and asks Sam if he has a brother also named Chris.

Sam says yeah, why?

As it turns out, Sam's older brother Chris Michaelson works for Microsoft, and lives near Seattle, and his phone number is only one digit different than my friend's. So Chris Tanaka has been getting wrong numbers for Chris Michaelson for the past three years. "Hello?" "Can I speak to Chris?" "This is Chris." "...no it isn't!"

So my friend in Seattle and my friend in Hawaii have had this elaborate connection for years, before I ever introduced them to each other.

The world is a pretty damn small place.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Nifty.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Spades:
I think I recognize "yada, yada, yada". Isn't that a reference to some old 90's sitcom?

Is it a bad thing that I grew up on Seinfeld? [Big Grin]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
My cell number isn't significant for any specific reasons.
I am SO sorry that for the first several seconds my mind associated "cell" with "prison cell" and for the life of me -- it freaked me out that Mr. Funny was in prison.

Then it suddenly dawned on me you meant your cell phone number.

I don't know why my mind works like that sometimes -- it is late on Friday. I must need rest.

Farmgirl

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I've never in my life watched Seinfeld, so I don't know where that phrase originates. Seems to me that my use of it predates Seinfeld, but maybe not. I probably heard someone else use it and picked it up.

FG

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread, along with my sexual derailment of serious threads, is something I've heard mentioned on Hatrack before.

We have a spate of very serious threads, sometimes they get acrimonious, sometimes not.

But we always go back to a 'fluff cycle' afterward, when people get burned out.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

quote:
quote:
My cell number isn't significant for any specific reasons.
I am SO sorry that for the first several seconds my mind associated "cell" with "prison cell" and for the life of me -- it freaked me out that Mr. Funny was in prison.

Then it suddenly dawned on me you meant your cell phone number.

I don't know why my mind works like that sometimes -- it is late on Friday. I must need rest.

Farmgirl

Yes, well... I'm definitely a juvenile delinquent. Me and my non-law-abiding ways. [Taunt]
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

Also, it appears that every single time so far that I've posted in this thread, between when I type up my reply and when I add my post, somebody else always seems to slip another post in before mine! I wonder if this post will break the trend...

[Edit: Apparently, it did break the trend.]

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, you're the same age as my oldest son.

Farmgirl

Well he's younger than 3 of my children... but I started having babies when I was nobbut a baby meself...
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I blame Frisco. [Razz]
Don't we all, honey, don't we all.

*objectifies some more*

*leers*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

*passes the drool-catching bucket to kq*

*goes for a mop*

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I did it again, didn't I ? *facepalm*

I think I'm ovulating. That's where all this energy is coming from. Which, when you consider that we will also have houseguests this weekend... mmmrah!

*shrug* Looking on the bright side, cold showers are supposed to be good for your pores.

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
pfresh...Did you not know that it's bad luck to pick up a coin that is face down on the ground? [Eek!] Now, go put it back. [No No]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Eh, if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Olivia, houseguests while ovulating are just an excuse to find new and exciting places waiting to happen... [Evil]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have lost count of just how many times Olivia has made me giggle today. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Speaking of soundtracks... I haven't mentioned it until now because it seems tacky, But the Simpsons' song "New Orleans" has been going though my head all week. YOu know:
quote:
Long before the SuperDome,
Where the Saints of football play,

And, uh, so forth. I feel guilty, but I can't get it OUT of my head!
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well he's younger than 3 of my children... but I started having babies when I was nobbut a baby meself...
Most of my family did the same thing. Outer island stereotypes - aiya!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
At least it isn't Apache.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we going to have any threads that DON'T discuss Frisco's physique?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Not as long as Olivet is around. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Olivia, don't feel so guilty.

I've had "The Battle of New Orleans" in my head for the last four days. [Frown]

Olivet
Member # 1104

I did NOT discuss Frisco's physique.

I could, but I haven't.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No, that was me. [Big Grin]
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Olivia, houseguests while ovulating are just an excuse to find new and exciting places waiting to happen... [Evil]

I seem to recall mention of a closet in another thread? mmmrrroooooooooooooowrrrrrrrr
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.