FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Chubbing it up

Author Topic: Chubbing it up
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, so I'm attempting to gain a little weight, in the form of fat.

I'm a skinny fellow, at it bugs me a bit. I'm not especially vain, but I don't really like being able to see my ribs to the extent that I can.

I'm about 5'10" and I weigh about 115 - 120. I'm in fine physical condition, but I'm just freaking skinny.

So I'm basically trying to figure out how many calories a day I should be eating to increase my weight in a healthy way. I've done some googling, but I seem to only find sites trying to sell me special pills.

Any help would be appreciated. (And yes, I know this is a fluffy thread).

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Try donuts.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

Why didn't I think of that before? And lots and lots of ice cream and potato chips. I can't forget the cheesecake either! [Big Grin]
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't really need a calorie goal. The recipe for gaining fat is the inverse of the recipe for losing fat.

To lose weight, you eat less and move around more.

To gain weight, you eat more and move around less.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Try owning a TV. I hear it helps. [Wink] Ok, I'll leave now and hope others have better advice.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I have 15lbs of fat you can have.

I'm not even using it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Due to the conservation of matter, whenever someone around me loses weight, I tend to gain it. Chungwa, how about gaining some weight around me?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
At least this isn't a...

Nevermind...

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Roll Eyes]
Chungwa
Member # 6421

Well sheesh.

I actually caught that one, Kwea [Eek!]

I have a TV, but I don't really watch television (maybe a two hour movie every week) much. As for physical activity, I like to go on lots of short walks and play ping pong. Other than that, I'm pretty lazy person.

The reason I asks about calories is that I don't really want to change my 'lifestyle,' I'm not that concerned about my skinniness.

On a side note, about a month a go I moved in with a bunch of veggies and, not surprisingly, I've been eating a lot less meat. So far I'm enjoying being a pseudo-vegetarian.

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm donuts!

And this is why I don't start a thread about being freakishly skinny. [Razz]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
I actually caught that one, Kwea [Eek!]
I would hope so, if it ran away from you...

nevermind...again. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
How old are you? At some point when you're older, your metabolism should change, and you'll start putting on more weight...

You can always put on more weight by building up your muscles (always useful).

It is nice though to have a few extra pounds around for if you ever get really sick -- it's good to have some extra poundage to burn up for when you're too sick to eat...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

I'm 21 at the moment.

Like I said before, I'm not too concerned about my health, I'm doing alright. I'm just vain enough to want a little more meat on my bones.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:

On a side note, about a month a go I moved in with a bunch of veggies

Are you living in a garden patch? The crisper drawer of the refrigerator? The produce section of the market?
Chungwa
Member # 6421

[ROFL]

[Hail]

GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also trying to gain weight. I'm pretty skinny and I play alot of sports where I wish I was bigger. Try having protein bars and drinks. The protein helps with muscle and they usually have alot of calories in them. I drink Boost Protein plus and eat Pure Protein bars made by Powerbar. Have 'em both for breakfast and you have a whole lot of calories and protein in your system. It's been helping me, but I'm not a doctor or anything so I'm not sure if it'd be effective for everybody.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Milkshakes. Ice cream, whole milk, and some fruit, or chocolate sauce. [Smile] A delicious, healthy way to add extra calories to your diet.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
Milkshakes. Ice cream, whole milk, and some fruit, or chocolate sauce. [Smile] A delicious, healthy way to add extra calories to your diet.

Donuts. A delicious non-healthy way to add extra calories ot your diet.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
You're a bit late, Tante.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonny Mad Jenny
Member # 5609

- posted      Profile for Bonny Mad Jenny   Email Bonny Mad Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
*jealous*

I'm with Lyrhawn, you can have 15 lbs of mine!

~ Dragon

Posts: 15 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
You're a bit late, Tante.

What am I late for? Are there any donuts left?
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
You need my milkshake recipe dude.

Breyer's chocolate ice cream
Ghiradelli chips, melted on the stove on a plate over a pot of boiling water.
Ghiradelli cocoa powder
Milk or light cream. NO HEAVY CREAM.
Blend the cocoa with the cream... then add the melted chocolate chips. blend, then add the ice cream.
Instant fat, dude.... Instant.
And take a bit of mine because I do not need it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
How to gain weight if you're a string bean:

(I speak from experience. In college, I weighed 119 lbs. I ate like a vacuum cleaner. Except not off the carpet.)

Put on muscle.

Weightlifting gained me about 15 lbs. in a year. Best of all, it was muscle, not fat. And I still got to eat like a vacuum cleaner.

Good luck!

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad there's no Paypal or other device that lets you donate unwanted fat to those who want or need it. It'd be the season of giving around here.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm - come work in my office. Folks love their chocolate. In fact, I lost 5 lbs in two weeks of vacation, simply because of the lack of daily chocolate, I'm sure, 'cause my eating habits did not otherwise change.

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uhleeuh:
Too bad there's no Paypal or other device that lets you donate unwanted fat to those who want or need it. It'd be the season of giving around here.

If such a wonderful thing existed, I'm sure global starvation would end in about five minutes. [Smile]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by Will B:

(I speak from experience. In college, I weighed 119 lbs. I ate like a vacuum cleaner. Except not off the carpet.)

Put on muscle.

Weightlifting gained me about 15 lbs. in a year. Best of all, it was muscle, not fat. And I still got to eat like a vacuum cleaner.

Good luck!

I hate you [Wink] ...I just look at something and I gain weight. Not really, but it sure seems that way.
Will B
Member # 7931

Put on muscle.

Good luck!

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

??
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Beer, lots and lots of beer. You can gain weight that way.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Be warned though, once you start your quest to gain weight, it can be difficult to stop.

I was 6'2", 145 lbs. freshman year of high school (I was a swimmer). Then I started putting on weight for football.

Sophomore Year - 165
Junior Year - 185
Senior Year - 205

and in college (still playing football) I got up to 240 lbs.

I dropped down to 200 when I graduated, but guess what: now I gain weight with ease. Stupid poetic justice from all those years trying to gain weight.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Will B:

...Put on muscle.

However, a side effect is a tendency towards redundancy.
Will B
Member # 7931

I wish "gain weight" *did* mean "put on muscle"!
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
(I think she was referring to the double-post, Will)

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BADPLMR1
Member # 8580

- posted      Profile for BADPLMR1   Email BADPLMR1         Edit/Delete Post 
As a former body builder who at first struggled to put on weight I have a solution. Try,if you can,to have something to eat every hour all day long that you are awake.This keeps your body burning the calories in your stomach and not eating away at your muscle tissue.Do not stop eating all your regular meals and if possible add an extra meal or two throughout the day.If you are physically active or engage in sports this should cause you to put on muscle weight and not fat.This works!
Posts: 24 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BADPLMR1
Member # 8580

- posted      Profile for BADPLMR1   Email BADPLMR1         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick add on to my last post;that something to eat every hour can be anything with calories,a candybar,bag of chips,milk,doughnuts,just as long as you put something in your stomach.Good Luck!
Posts: 24 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.