FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is this? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What is this?
AutumnFire
Member # 7320

- posted      Profile for AutumnFire   Email AutumnFire         Edit/Delete Post 
I took this photo recently, and it occured to me that it might be truly impossible to determine what it is a photo of, without it being explained. I am curious whether anyone can guess what they're looking at in this photo:

http://www.deviantart.com/view/23657471/

There is a gift piece, or a dedication as a prize for anyone who guesses correctly.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
A dandelion puff? That's the best guess I've got so far. That, or a pod of cotton. Neither of those feels quite right.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
A lava lamp, well not quite like the old ones, but one of those lamps with the blue light, that where you put your hand, it moves to.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Sperm wiggling around an egg.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
The squiggles look something like a dark field microscope view of Treponema, or syphilis.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
A sparkler?

A question: How much post-camera manipulation have you done on it?

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you think someone would take a picture of that jeniwren?

Unless of course AutumnFire works in that field. Then you're guess is just dandy.

I was going to say dandelion as well kq.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
The squiggly parts make me think of smoke. Perhaps the tip of a stick of smoldering incense? Or a blue sparkler?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of a cross between lit magnesium and a bursting milkweed pod. Quite an intriguing photo.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Little doctor, that's just the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture. No idea if it's right, it's just my best guess. I realize that the likelihood is pretty slim. But she wasn't offering a free car either, so I figure I didn't lose much except my dignity, which I didn't have a lot of to start with. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnFire
Member # 7320

- posted      Profile for AutumnFire   Email AutumnFire         Edit/Delete Post 
Neither, but good guesses.
Posts: 61 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnFire
Member # 7320

Okay, no right answers so far, but lots of interesting guesses. Here are all the incorrect answers thus far:

Fireworks x2
sperm and egg x2
Match with sparks
Sparkler x3
The result of french-kissing a light socket
Ball lightning
confetti
easter grass
the exit of a cave from inside the cave
a tennis ball
a solar system
a camp fire
a lightbulb as it burns out
being on the receiving end of a plasma gun
heart-shaped pendant on cotton batting
dandelion puff
pod of cotton
lava lamp
microscope view of bacteria
lit magnesium
bursting milkweed pod
Little Doctor (Dr. Device from Ender's Game)

It never occured to me that it looked like a Little Doctor explosion, but it kinda does. That's really cool!

Incidentally, the colors have not been altered. What you see is roughly what I saw taking the photo.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
THe squiggles remind me of strips of crimped paper that are often used as packing materials. The shape in the center looks to me like a heart-shaped pendant or locket.

(edit cause I didn't read) With no manipulation of any kind, I'm not likely to be right LOL. And I see someone else said heart-shaped locket...

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Flames from a gas burner?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
a light source seen through a blue scarf?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like something underwater, but what that might be, I have no idea. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, obviously to me, either the camera was moving (jiggling) or the subject was moving, in order to give those squiggles. So - I'm trying to think of different low-shutter-speed or time-delayed type things you could photograph that would end up with that result, but my mind is not coming up with it.

Can we ask -- is it taken at night?

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm allowed another guess: The inside of a sweater sleeve. The camera is inside the sweater, looking down the arm. The little squiggles would be light coming through loose parts of the knit and the ball is the light at the end of the sleeve.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Go towards the light!

Did you take a camera along on your near-death experience?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
blue dog hair on a black shirt.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say either The Big Bang, fireflies, or some sort of laser.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dropofTapioca
Member # 7867

- posted      Profile for dropofTapioca   Email dropofTapioca         Edit/Delete Post 
umm...mitosis? I doubt it, though.
Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to say some kind of bioluminescent bacteria or fungus. Maybe jellyfish or plankton?

Sorry, that's a lot of guesses, but I'm really stumped. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Bats or bugs flying around a street light. Or some other kind of light.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The inside of one of those plasma balls.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
Aurora Borialis. Other than that, I'm stumped.
Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
The main lit part looks like a heart to me. I'm not sure what that would make the other little squiggles though.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Cigarette lighter?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
No clue, but if you look at the blue thing long enough, it starts looking like an evil face. [Angst]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Try playing with the color, contrast, and brightness values in an image editor - the face gets very creepy.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks a bit like coral as seen while diving.

Alternatively, there's a kind of party favor where you pull a string and it explodes streamers in all directions. Could be that.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Autumn, you brat! We give up!

Tell us, already! [Dont Know]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
St. Elmo's Fire?
Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You had someone bite a wintergreen lifesaver?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, don't tell us. Give us hintses.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
A sparkler?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
It kind of looks like those things people wear at raves. Blinking heart thingy.
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob Porter
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for Jacob Porter           Edit/Delete Post 
An exploding paintball in a darkened room.
Posts: 178 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnFire
Member # 7320

The bioluminescent bacteria guess was closest, but it hardly explains everything.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Bioluminescent jellyfish? I saw those at the Monterey Bay Aquarium once.

Oooh, or another deep-sea creature. Like those angler fish and all that.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

I'm w/ Tante on this one . . . no more hints, just 'splain it to us!
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell us where the money is, or die! Uh... I mean... Tell us, please?
Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
it looks like a blue light thrown into a pool to me.

Very nice shot.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
What is it already!?
<------- Impatient

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Drip and/or pour tempura paint onto a white posterboard/canvas held shallowly underwater parallel to the surface.
Gently jiggle/twist/warp the canvas a bit off parallel while very slowly removing the posterboard/canvas from the water, or while very slowly draining the water.
Then photonegative the result.

[ October 08, 2005, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Well...?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
It's there. Look below the picture.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like DNA! or the luminecent jellyfish, but I think someone already said that.

It could be lint too!

Is it just me or does it kinda look like there is an eye around the center of the blue blob puff?

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... that is awesome. I've never seen bioluminescent plankton... didn't even know the stuff existed.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Oh, wow. That's impressive.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.