FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Free CD burning program

Author Topic: Free CD burning program
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I buy a CD I rip it to mp3, then I burn off mp3-CDs and listen to all my music off those. So having a data CD burner is important to me.

I bought a TDK CD burner years ago, and it works great. It came with a free version of Nero, which seemed to be as good a program as any, although it would only work on TDK-brand burners. Then a while ago I added a Sony DVD burner to my computer, and it also came with an updated free version of Nero that I needed to install in order to burn the DVDs. So I did that, and then I found out that the new Nero only worked on Sony burners. Since it's the same program, I can't keep both versions on my box, and so I can now only burn CDs on the DVD burner, which doesn't seem to work as well. [Wall Bash]

Anyway, the bottom line is that I'd like the option of burning CDs on my CD burner, and I don't feel like paying $80 for a full version of Nero. Does anyone know a reliable freeware burning program that will allow me to easily burn data-CDs on my CD burner? I know there are some, but I would prefer one that isn't a pain in the arse to use and isn't loaded with spyware.

Many thanks.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
What OS and version do you have?
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I have Windows 2000 on that box.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

iTunes will allow you to make an audio CD, MP3 CD, or Data CD from your music library. It's free and pretty easy to use if all you're looking for is a program that will let you make music CDs.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
it isn't really a data burning program, but if all you want is to be able to listen to mp3 CDs, iTunes (which works on Win 2k), if you go to edit menu > preferences > advanced > burning you can choose to burn MP3 CDs instead of normal audio CDs. It also lets you organize all your music and search it easily, etc. so if you're just using it for burning MP3 CDs, it's probably better than something like Nero.

Other than that, typing "free CD burning" into google came up with a bunch of programs, though I don't know anything about any of them

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Yeah, I've used Itunes when I just want random tracks. But for everyday use, I like to burn the albums in folders so that I can navigate through them, and I'm pretty sure Itunes won't let you do that. That's why I need a real data-CD burning program instead of just an mp3-CD burner.
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
dBPowerAMP

Good burner and a great conversion tool.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
use itunes browser window to quickly select artist or album in its entirety. then under file use the create playlist from selection tool, with the album highlighted. then click that playlist and BLAMMO! out comes your cd.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

or you can try this
CDBurnerXP

Speed
Member # 5162

quote:
Originally posted by Ben:
use itunes browser window to quickly select artist or album in its entirety. then under file use the create playlist from selection tool, with the album highlighted. then click that playlist and BLAMMO! out comes your cd.

But the problem is that all my CD players have navigation functions that support folders. So I have to have all my CDs burned in the same folder layout that I have on my hard drive. For example, I have one CD that, upon insertion into a disc drive, will see the following folders:
  • The Beatles
  • John Lennon
  • Simon and Garfunkel
  • Paul Simon
  • Soundtrack
Then, if you open the folder called "Simon and Garfunkel, you'll see the following folders:
  • Wednesday Morning, 3 am
  • Sounds of Silence
  • Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme
  • Bookends
  • Bridge Over Troubled Water
Then if you open "Bookends", you'll see all the mp3 files for that particular album.

Losing that folder setup would make it much more difficult to navigate my way through my music. Even though I realize that Itunes could put all those same tracks on a disc, it would not be worth it if I couldn't get to them as easily.

That's sort of my problem. I appreciate the input, though. [Smile]

FrogGirl
Member # 8747

- posted      Profile for FrogGirl   Email FrogGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
tucows.com

When I need a program but I don't know what products are out there I sample a few of the programs listed there. They also list programs by Demo, Shareware, Freeware and have company vs. user ratings. It's a nice way to "try before you buy" or pick up virus-free freeware.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

That CD Burner XP looks promising. I'm going to have to do some research, but it could be the one. Thanks for the tip, camus. [Smile]

BTW, have you tried it yourself? If so, is it pretty good?

camus
Member # 8052

Sorry, but no I have not used it myself since I don't think it works on Mac OS X. I've only heard of it before in a few instances and had to search for it to find it, so I actually know very little about it aside from the occassional reference to it, but I don't recall hearing anything bad about it. On a side note, I am actually rather fond of Roxio, but i think that starts at around $50.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I use the free version of DeepBurner. I got it to burn ISO files, but it seems decent enough for other purposes.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Ooh, I like the ISO-burning idea. I'm going to have to give that a try as well. Thanks. [Smile]
Speed
Member # 5162

By the way, lem, that was your post #665. I expect your next post to be extra Satanic. [Evil Laugh]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.