FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Should I help? Would you?

Author Topic: Should I help? Would you?
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
So my wife is moving out today and she expects me to do the majority of the heavy lifting. I really want her gone but I don't know if I really have an obligation to helping her. She seems to think it's my responsibility and I guess that kind of ticks me off. She didn't ask if I would help she told me that I had to help. I guess I probably will end up doing it but I was just curious who else would? Or would you tell her to shove off?
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to, but if you do (1) she leaves faster, and (2) you get the moral high ground. I say do it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
She renting a truck, or using your vehicle? If it's not your vehicle, so you don't have a vested interest in getting her stuff out of it, I'd help her load it up and then say "see ya" and let her deal with it on the other end. But that is because I am a nasty, nasty person. Also wouldn't work if you need to make multiple trips. Pity.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that the labor it takes to get her stuff out is worth it. Think of how much better you will feel when its gone.

I would agree that you have no obligation, but why not do it anyway? I would think moving the stuff out would be rather therapeutic, but I don't really know your situation.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

She's using my SUV so I kin dof want to get it back. PLus I am interested in seeing the place since my kids will be spending some time there. Here's the best past, she has even asked if I would help her boyfriend move the big stuff. I said no, so she said that her boyfriend and his best friend would come and get it. Again I've told her there is no way he's coming in my house. She doesn't seem to understand the problem.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on how fast you want her to leave, I guess.

I woul help if I could. Regardless of how she's been treating you, there's no need to be guilty of anything petty. Maybe it will help the parting be a little less sour.

Edit: Yeah, I don't know if I'd want to be anywhere near the boyfriend either. If he were coming to help, I'd be absent.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
At least be present when she leaves. Some things could turn up "missing" in this move. Wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on her.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, definitely be there to prevent the loss of your property.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's expensive, but have you thought about hiring movers to load and unload the stuff? It would keep the boyfriend out of your place, and probably make the whole thing a lot less stressful for you.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
My personal choice would to be to grab a few friends and have a "Moving Her Stuff To The Yard" party that morning. Heavy stuff, valuable stuff, whatever.

Then sit back and crack open a beer as they load everything up. It makes sure your stuff stays put and keeps the new beau and his buddy out of your house.

Heck, I'd help her load up the boxes and stuff, then say you need the car back by 6 pm or somesuch.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only did I help my ex move out but I also packed and helped unpack at the new place. I wanted out of the relationship so bad I would do anything to help. Call me a glutton for punishment but I no longer have this person in my life, so it worked for me. Part of this was also to control having my ex steal my stuff. I was too generous as it was.

I think having the boyfriend come help is certainly asking too much of you and I agree that you shouldn't let him in the house. I rather like Sopwith's idea. If you live in central Texas, I would be happy to come help. [Smile]

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
If you aren't going to let her movers in the house, then I think you have to take responsibility for getting her stuff out the door.

edit: Not that I blame you one bit for not wanting the boyfriend in the house.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the movers idea. Either hiring professionals or getting some buddies to move it all out of the house; then she can get whoever she wants to move it in. Set a time for her to bring the car back, and if it's a long drive, request that she fill it up. I feel very, very strongly that you should take the high moral or "holier than thou" approach to it all. Channel sainthood.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Well, I decided to take the day off tomorrow. She and I are going to do most of the work while the kids are at school. We figure that will only leave us a couple of big items to deal with. We'll have an SUV and a ford ranger to do the moving with. I think this is the best because I definately want to be around when she's hauling stuff out. We're pretty settled on what goes and what styas but she's gone down that spiteful road before and I don't want to give her the chance.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.