FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Justified Rebellion

Author Topic: Justified Rebellion
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

- posted      Profile for Jonathan K.   Email Jonathan K.         Edit/Delete Post 
What quallifies a rebellion as being justified?
Posts: 220 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
You win and write the history books.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

- posted      Profile for Jonathan K.   Email Jonathan K.         Edit/Delete Post 
So all rebelions would have to be un-justified until 50 years after they happened
Posts: 220 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my thoughts were similar to Jay's. It depends on how successful you are.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's entirely dependant on how successful you are. There's got to be another element.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Success is important, but no I don't think that's all there is to it. Factors might include methods used to rebel and what efforts have already been made to solve the problem prior to the rebellion.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
How about the problem is part of it too? or is that understood?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

You can justify any rebellion by quoting socrates :"I am the gadfly, on the ass of that great dilatory steed, society" socrates said, at his trial, that he was a the gadfly, or horse fly, that irritates society, that "great dilatory steed(lazy horse) into movement) meaning without being argumentative, or even rebellious, towards a society, it will not move, it will stagnate, and a stagnant society is one that sinks into entropy therefore, any rebellion that avoids stagnation can be said to be justified
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

Really, since justification lies in the eyes of the beholder, all rebellions are justified
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
(I was kinda kidding. . . and kinda saying I think it's such a messy matter that there is no easy answer.)
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
People don't rebel at the drop of a hat, they do it when they have been harassed and abused and have no other choice.

So, when the people are forced to rebel, that's when a rebellion qualifies as justified.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Shogun: Loyalty is the prime virtue.
Pilot: Yes.
Shogun: Is rebellion ever a virtue?
Pilot: Yes.
Shogun: When?
Pilot: When it succeeds.
Shogun: Yes.

A paraphrase from James Micheners "Shogun"

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember remember the fifth of November.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not every rebellion is justified. There have been plenty of rebellions that weren't about social justice, even if the people involved wouldn't agree with that statement...

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
According to Locke's second 2nd treatise, the people have a DUTY to rebel when the current government isn't serving the people. It’s the entire idea that you have to sacrifice some of your freedoms in order to better safeguard your inalienable rights to life liberty and property. That's the purpose of government, and when it's not serving that purpose, then a rebellion is justified.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.