FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Officials seize sex offender's baby...

Author Topic: Officials seize sex offender's baby...
Mariann
Member # 8724

- posted      Profile for Mariann   Email Mariann         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/10/22/sexoffender.custody.ap/index.html

Just curious as to what all of you thought... it's certainly causing a lot of controversy!

Posts: 70 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
I really dont know what to think of this.
"Child welfare workers argued the infant boy's safety is in jeopardy because the father pleaded guilty to rape and sodomy two decades ago in New York. The agency also cited the mother's alleged history of drug abuse."

First of all, it was 20 years ago, and it wasnt child abuse. Has the man had a history of anything happening since then? If so, why didnt they site that? Second of all, what does "alleged history of drug abuse" mean? Did she smoke pot when she was 14, or do heroin while pregnant? Those are all things I would need to know before I could even come up with an opinion.
But my gut reaction, just from the info in the article is that they were wrong to take the baby.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's enough detail in the article to make a judgement frankly.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with foundling.

I mean, they don't necessarily take children from mothers who have done drugs during the pregnancy. I'd really like to know on what grounds they did this.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariann
Member # 8724

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/story/0,1282,-5359736,00.html

In this article it says officials are providing evidence that the mother was using hardcore drugs and has worked as a prostitute- and that the father was thought to have molested his daughter.

But then I wonder, why hasn't the daughter been taken away???

Posts: 70 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are talking about the 21 month-old daughter, they are trying to. She is currently living with relatives in another state while the fight about it.

quote:
Melissa WolfHawk also is fighting to regain custody of another child, a girl now 21 months old living with a family in Maryland, in a case that also began with questions about her husband's fitness as a father.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20051011/D8D5S1F81.html

And sorry, but I don't care if it was 20 years ago. The guy was 31 at the time (1983) and wasn't found guilty, but actually pled guilty to rape, attempted rape, sodomy and attempted sodomy of 2 teenage girls. He should be a registered sex offender who isn't allowed anywhere near children.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariann
Member # 8724

If that's the case, then I think the ACLU needs to shut the hell up about it. This isn't the first time a person has had their child taken away, the only difference with this is that that they were planning on taking the child away before it was born.

And 21 months old?!? She's less than TWO and he's already thought to have done things to her?!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Mariann, unfortunately that's not so uncommon. [Frown]

And suspected ongoing abuse of another child makes it a different matter completely.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

To be fair, they are only investigating and he's only been suspected of abusing his daughter. Anyone who was outraged that a convicted rapist has children could phone in a tip to a child abuse hotline to get that ball rolling. Mom is a drug user and prostitute, so they take the kid away. It's possible the father hasn't done anything to his daughter.

(Whoa, who the hell wrote that? [Eek!] )

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariann
Member # 8724

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Mariann, unfortunately that's not so uncommon. [Frown]

And suspected ongoing abuse of another child makes it a different matter completely.

Yeah, I know. It's just not something I ever get used to. It takes a sick person to rape a teenage girl, but a freakin' *toddler*.

I need to go out for a jog. >.<

Mariann
Member # 8724

quote:
Originally posted by Kayla:
To be fair, they are only investigating and he's only been suspected of abusing his daughter. Anyone who was outraged that a convicted rapist has children could phone in a tip to a child abuse hotline to get that ball rolling. Mom is a drug user and prostitute, so they take the kid away. It's possible the father hasn't done anything to his daughter.

(Whoa, who the hell wrote that? [Eek!] )

That's true. But while I believe sex offenders can be reformed, and I would sympathize with the both of them if this was someone else's doing, the fact is they made mistakes that allowed themselves to be placed in this situation. You can't do cocaine, or plead guilty of rape and sodomy of teenage girls, and then expect people to trust your ability to be a good parent- especially if someone calls in saying you've molested your daughter.

Sad, but true. [Frown]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
So were the rape/etc convictions were based on forced sex with obvious minors or consensual sex with party girls who weren't known to be underage?

As for the alleged drug abuse and prostitution: if the US and the state won't fund medical treatment for addicts and an education leading to a decent living wage -- or a minimum wage law that provides a living wage -- the politicians and prosecutors oughtta be the ones who get roughed up by the legal system.

[ October 26, 2005, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And sorry, but I don't care if it was 20 years ago. The guy was 31 at the time (1983) and wasn't found guilty, but actually pled guilty to rape, attempted rape, sodomy and attempted sodomy of 2 teenage girls. He should be a registered sex offender who isn't allowed anywhere near children.
I, for one, am glad that not everyone judges me based on who I was TWO years ago, much less twenty, without seeing who I am now first.

{EDIT} Out of curiousity, even if he IS still the person he was 20 years ago (which I'm not ruling out, or even saying is unlikely), what is your proposed alternative to letting him keep his children? Take every child his wife has away from them? Forcing him to undergo a vasectomy? Forbidding him from having sex? Forcing his wife to have abortions every time she gets pregnant? Or just never letting him out of jail, ever?

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Apparently, this woman also has an 8 year old son who is currently in foster care, being placed there after she married WolfHawk. He also has a 31 year old daughter and in probation reports, apparently it says that there are allegations he abused her, too, though he denies it.

According to The New York State Sex Offender Registry it doesn't seem like it was statutory in nature, considering a gun and a threat were involved.

While he has served his sentence and should be getting a "second chance" I have to wonder why he was ever let out in the first place. Rape of two teenagers with the use of a gun? 10 years? Let's just say that theoretically, I'm on board with the whole "he served his time" thing.

However, what about his kids? Can you imagine their life? I mean, Daddy is a registered sex offender. Would you want your kid to best friends with his kid? Can you imagine anyone ever letting their kid anywhere near his kid out of fear of him?

Sure, it seems like taking away the kid is another punishment, and depriving a child of his/her parents seems extreme, but I'm almost of the opinion that it would be better for the child to be removed from the home and put up for adoption.

I've never really thought rapists should be allowed to have children, but hey, that's just me. I don't know how I'd go about legislating anything like that. I mean, there is a huge difference between an 18 year-old having consensual sex with his 16 year-old girlfriend and a 31 year-old stranger raping 2 teenagers at gunpoint. I'm not sure that legislation would be able to make the distinction.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm of the opinion that if someone commits a crime so horrible he should not be allowed near his children, he shouldn't be living out of prison with everyone else.

People who can't stop committing sex crimes should be in prison. Period. Releasing them and having them register is a bad idea.

Now, if they can and do stop, if it was a one-time thing or they have been successfully treated, there's no reason they should be punished any more for past offenses.

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Holy farking snit! That is not murky at all, is it? I mean, he must have pled guilty because he knew he'd get more time if it went to trial (which they probably wanted to spare the girlsfrom, anyway).
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
he must have pled guilty because he knew he'd get more time if it went to trial
Yeah, I don't think that's right in some cases. [Frown]
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sure, it seems like taking away the kid is another punishment, and depriving a child of his/her parents seems extreme, but I'm almost of the opinion that it would be better for the child to be removed from the home and put up for adoption
I agree that the children would be better off being removed from these people. And even though the crimes took place a long time ago, I think they are just atrocious enough that he has to live with the consequences, no matter how reformed he is. After all, the two girls he raped don't become unraped after 20 years.

Warning: This link may be somewhat disturbing to some readers.
Here's a similar situation.

Basically, without being too graphic, the mother mentioned in the link tried to sell her daughter to what would have been a certain death.

She faces six years in prison, which I don't think is nearly long enough, and "further court action is under way to determine whether Zelentsova's custody should be stripped. She also has a 3-month-old son."

Don't people just instinctively know that certain things are just wrong? If not, what good is reform if they have clearly shown they are not capable of comprehending the most basic issues of morality.

Edit: added a warning to the link because it makes me sick just thinking about it

[ October 26, 2005, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: camus ]

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

AAAAAAH! That is NOT good parenting. :|
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't seem all that murky to me. I don't think he should have gotten out in the first place.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I don't, either.

Now that he's out, though, the question is what rights he has.

And if he's done something else wrong, then he should be back in jail for that. Not just have custody taken away.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
And as a repeat offender, in my opinion, he should NOT ever be let out again.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by camus:
Don't people just instinctively know that certain things are just wrong?

No. Sometimes, people make bad choices consistently enough over a long enough period of time that they've shut up that inner voice that tells them when something is wrong.

And these people just never get it, either, and no amount of explaining or yelling or screaming ever gets through to them, either.

Some people really are that amoral.

quote:
Originally posted by camus:
If not, what good is reform if they have clearly shown they are not capable of comprehending the most basic issues of morality.

It isn't, and they won't.

And thanks for the warning on the link. I didn't follow it specifically because I don't need more disturbing stuff floating around in my brain.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But while I believe sex offenders can be reformed, . . .
Out of curiosity, what do you base this belief on?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm of the opinion that if someone commits a crime so horrible he should not be allowed near his children, he shouldn't be living out of prison with everyone else.
Very well put.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariann
Member # 8724

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
quote:
But while I believe sex offenders can be reformed, . . .
Out of curiosity, what do you base this belief on?
This sums it up nicely: http://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug03/newhope.html

In short, the chances of a released sex offender committing another act is small. A sex offender receiving treatment has even less of a chance than that. And even without those statistics, there's no reason to think that someone couldn't be "reformed" through therapy. There are plenty of psychological reasons why people rape or molest, and not everyone who commits those crimes are inherently sadistic- so with enough breakthroughs I do believe a person can be reformed.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.