FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Enamel of Agony

Author Topic: Enamel of Agony
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Came back from the dentist today...
Found out
-my roots are declining because of the braces I had 9 years ago [Frown]

- I grind my teeth at night and need to wear a night guard (aren't I too young for that?) [Cry] Edited: No one is too young for it.

- I have not 1.. not 2... but 10 yes TEN cavities!!!!!! [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

[Frown]

So I have the following questions to you wise Hatrackers out there.

1. Can adults get sealants on their teeth (to prevent cavities in the first place)

2. How many cavities can dentists fill at a time?

3. Can people have so sensitive teeth that, no matter how good the dentist is, the cavities hurt for a whole month..?

4. Why is pregnancy so hard on the teeth?

[ October 29, 2005, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well crud.

I have no answers.

I just have to say that my primary evidence AGAINST intelligent design is the fact that our teeth have hypersensitive nerve endings in them that outlive the tooth in which they are embedded.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
How old are you? I'm 20, and I've been wearing a guard for grinding my teeth since I was 18. I think wearing the guard is better than killing your teeth.

Sorry I can't answer any of your real questions. I'm not a dentist.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... I guess you can never be too young to wear a night guard. I'm Sorry [Frown]

I'm 25, but I should have started wearing one when I was 24 at the first sign of grinding which was TMJ.

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
What caused the cavities?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The Cavity Creeps.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Yes, but last only 3-5 years at their most successful (per my dentist).

2. I've had four at once, my dentist filled two at a time. I'm betting it depends on the dentist, but a bit of begging will probably get the dentist to cave on his/her rules regarding that.

3. I don't know.

4. Never been pregnant but I looked around and found this interesting bit of information:
quote:
During the 2nd trimester of pregnancy, gingivitis may occur more frequently due to a rise in the estrogen levels that increase the blood flow to the body tissues.
and another link from The American Academy of Periodontology says that about about half of women experience this pregnancy gingivitis.

Regarding the grinding, I've been doing since I was about 20. I have never done anything about it because it isn't serious and has only caused very minimal damage.

I've also heard that fluoride has something to do with cavities. I saw in your profile that you live in WA. This website shows which counties in your state have it in the water. I spent a lot of time growing up in California, had awful teeth. I *believe* my dentist growing up thought it might have to do with the quality of water. I'm sure it didn't help that my grandparents spoiled me rotten with candy and lots of sugary drinks. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
uw, yes, adults can get sealants. I had them put on my teeth in my 20's. 'Course, they wear down over time so I don't have them anymore (I'm 37 now), but I've not had any cavities since, so I'd say they've done their job.

I've never heard of a limit on the number of cavities a dentist can fill in one sitting...I'm taking my son in for his cleaning tomorrow, so I can ask then if you'd like. Personally, I'd rather just get them all done at once if it were me. I don't like Novacaine.

If you have sensitive teeth, take care what toothpaste you're using. I had real problems with mine until I switched to Sensodyne. Now I just have temperature sensitivity and that isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.

Building babies takes a lot out of you. If you don't get enough calcium during pregnancy, the baby will leech it out of you however it can. [Frown] I'm sorry you're having such problems. I swear, the only thing worse than oral surgery is sinus surgery.

edit: where in WA are you, uw?? I didn't know you lived here!

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just because of the thread placement at the moment, but I read the title and immediately thought "Harry Potter and the..."

"'Fluoride!'" shouted Harry, waving his wand in an easy circular motion.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

Thanks for the links and the support guys... I needed it. *hug smily*

What may have caused the cavities... I would think the fact that I have been pregnant twice this year... and they both ended in miscarriages... [Frown]
and also from Jan to (let's say) April I didn't have enough will power when passing the candy dish at my work...
What I don't get is that since May I have been flossing, brushing more than twice a day and even swishing with Listerine... [Frown]
I know people who would barely brush and they have no cavities at all...
I wish the genetics of my teeth were better... I thought they were, I hardly had any cavities in my mouth until now. It's like an explosion!!

Sealants are sounding so good right now. Are they expensive?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Sealants aren't that expensive, and yes, you can get them as an adult. But be warned: they don't prevent all cavities.

I don't know why, but pregnancy does definitely cause dental problems. [Dont Know] I usually have pretty good dental health, but I get bloody gums and sensitive teeth when I'm pregnant.

Yes, cavities can hurt even after filled. [Frown] Sorry.

I was prescribed a custom night guard when I was 15-- after I chewed and ground and gnashed all the way through two of the soft silicone ones ( [Eek!] !)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pregnancy causes dental problems because of hormones (which cause the mouth to alternate rapidly between overdry and overmoist, both of which can increase (different types of) decay); calcium and other minerals being leeched from the teeth (this one you can do something about by taking a good multi-vitamin/-mineral supplement); increased stress (which often increases teeth grinding); and I forget what all else.

Old saying: Have a baby, lose a tooth.

The good news is that you don't have to lose teeth these days. The bad news: keeping them ain't cheap or painless.

Before I had kids, I had two cavities. Little ones. In the twelve years since my first pregnancy, I have spent $$$$ on crowns, huge cavities, and most recently to seal my four most cavity-prone teeth.

Most dentists will work on one quadrant at a time. Crowns are generally done separately from other work (but can be done two the same visit), and take two visits, but the second one is short.

Good luck! It will take some time, but before too long you will, as I did a week ago, suddenly notice that none of your teeth hurt!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I spoke with a dentist friend about this and these were his answers:

1. Sealants are available for adults, but it isn't very helpful if you've had cavities before.
2. It depends on the location and size of the cavities. He will only do two quadrants at a single appointment, for the comfort of the patient. There's also the issue of how long each filling takes and the dentist's schedule.
3. It depends on how close the filling is to the nerve and what material the dentist used. The main thing is whether the sensitivity is getting better rather than worse (indicating the tooth is healing).
4. The baby doesn't steal the calcium! He mentioned the gingivitis/estrogen connection. (Non-dental answers) My wife (currently pregnant) things frequent vomiting will destroy enamel. Also, she feels sick when she brushes and so doesn't do as good a job as she should.

All information offered without guarantee or implication of all interested parties. Hope you feel better soon [Smile]

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

I was prescribed a custom night guard when I was 15-- after I chewed and ground and gnashed all the way through two of the soft silicone ones ( [Eek!] !)

Wow KP! [Eek!] That must have been frustrating. [Frown]
My mom has a nightguard and relax pills and she still has chipped many many many teeth. So many teeth, she said, that the dentist won't even fix them until they bother her. [Eek!]

Seno, Thank you for speaking to your dentist friend and answering some of my questions. [Hail] I especially appreciate the sealant answer.

I have decided rather than going to my current dentist (which is an hour away and I haven't been too happy with the way she filled my teeth last time)
I will go to a dentist here (which has been recommended), that doesn't take my insurance (there are very few dentists who do) but I will make payments. I hope I can get the other dentist to fax the xrays or something.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, have had a hard plastic nightguard since I was 16 - by that time, I had already ground my eye teeth flat, and it had misaligned my jaw.

Apparently you're never too young for stress!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
A warning about sealants: I believe they can sometimes leak and lead to breast cancer.

I used to have sealants when I was younger, but my father read up on them and must have discovered something to this effect because he immediately found me another dentist to remove them, which was very scary and tasted awful.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
A follow-up study countered that claim.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had five cavities filled in one sitting. Wait, no...six. I think I have PTSD from it or something. He was only going to fill three, then someone cancelled, so he just kept...going.

>_<

I'd taken Vioxx beforehand to stave off the headache so I could continue to work that day, but it couuld do nothing against the SIX fillings and that grinding from the drill *twitch*.

So I tried to work. After an hour, I was saying uncle and had to go home.

Supervisor got mad. [Frown]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like pulling teeth getting me to go to the dentist.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

*thwap*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.