FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tropical Storm Beta Forms

Author Topic: Tropical Storm Beta Forms
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
This one is off the coast of Nicaragua, and is projected to become another hurricane.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
etphonehome
Member # 999

- posted      Profile for etphonehome   Email etphonehome         Edit/Delete Post 
So, what happens when they get to Omega?
Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
you then go into arabic letters and after than cerilic (sp) then aramaic!

But if you get that far then it would be a hurricain season of biblical proportions ..

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There are hurricanes in the bible?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Floods were the prefered method at the time ....

(I was linking aramaic to the bible ...)

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
[geek] After Beta, v.1 goes G.A. (general availability). Those darn early-adopters in Nicaragua. [Smile] [/geek]
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
When's tropical storm VHS coming out?
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope there's no gamma.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more hoping this level of hurricane activity doesn't continue as a regular yearly thing. Some records do not need to be topped.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Once again the actual storm track shows interesting variations from each of the NHC's previous path predictions. By the path it is taking instead, Beta seems almost alive, and drawn to feed itself upon this trough of warm water off of southern Jamaica.
With the roiling Caribbean waters also seeming to have a dance of their own.

Yeah, I'm waxing metaphoric. But complex dynamical systems need different descriptives than simple mechanisms.

[ October 28, 2005, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

These are some awesome links, aspectre! The penultimate link is water temperature? Is the last link air temperature? What caused the slug of really cold (air, water, whatever) to appear out of nowhere in that last sequence?

I didn't realize all this stuff existed online. Did you find it by wandering around in the NOAA stuff?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Probably could have gotten there that way. After having already found the AOML.NOAA site, I think I noticed a link from the NationalHurricaneCenter which leads (eventually) to the joint AtlanticOceanographicandMeterologicalLaboratory and NationalOceanic&AtmosphericAdministration project.
But as I've said before, the NHC is one of the worst-designed sites for searching through. And there is no obviously-labeled link from either the NHC, the NOAA, or the AOML which leads there. There ain't even an obvious link from the AOML.NOAA homepage.

Assuming such a site had to exist since Rutgers had one on the Gulf of Mexico, I googled it up searching for similar information about the Caribbean. Which essentially brought up nothing except a couple of inactive sites with links which led nowhere. However, the addresses within those links did give clue as to other possibly useful keywords.
In other words, I found the site through pure stubborness.

"Is the last link air temperature? What caused the slug of really cold (air, water, whatever) to appear out of nowhere...?"

The last link was daily time-lapse "photography" of SeaSurfaceTemperatures/SST of 10days with the last day being 26Oct05. If you are referring to the upwelling leading to the large darker blue SST where (click to enlarge) Belize, Guatamala, and Honduras meet, I would suspect that deep currents pushed sub20degreeCelcius/68degreeFahrenheit waters up the continental shelf through the 26degreeC/79degreeF"thermocline"* to the surface.

Posting now lest I accidentally delete.

* Quotation marked because I really mean the artificially-marked temperature cutoff between waters warm enough to strengthen tropical cyclones and the colder waters beneath, and not the true meaning of thermocline.

[ October 30, 2005, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
etphonehome
Member # 999

- posted      Profile for etphonehome   Email etphonehome         Edit/Delete Post 
I know they have a policy where if a named storm is destructive enough, they retire that name from the rotation and replace it with a new one. Does anyone know what happens if one of these greek letter storms causes a lot of destruction? For example, if Beta turns out to be a big one, will they skip from Alpha straight to Gamma next time? Or maybe replace Beta with the second letter of the Russian alphabet? It's an interesting question.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the linke aspetre. Cool data!
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, why didn't they do X, Y, and Z?
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Hurricane Xena!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
If you look at the trajectories for Beta, it looks like this storm could possibly cross central America into the Pacific the way Stan did. It will need to gain either strength or momentum to travel that far across land without fizzling, but it is possibly.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Hurricane Xena!

-pH

No, X would have been a Man's name and it never made it to a Hurricane. Perhaps "Tropical Storm Xavier".

This one would be a female name starting with Y,

Hurricane Yolanda.

The lists alternate between male and female names and rotate between English, Spanish and French names. I suspect they left Q, X, Y and Z off the list because they couldn't find enough male and female names in all three languages to complete the five years of lists. Plus, they never needed them before and they had a contingency plan if they did.

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
could possibly cross central America into the specific the way Stan did.
Yeah, they better watch out. I'll mess them all up. [Evil Laugh]

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

It's not my fault. The fingers just type these things on their own.

I really should start proof reading my posts, but I probably won't. That's too much like work and I don't post here so I can do more work.

Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Arghh. The last thing any part of Central America needs right now is another hurricane. And the stormtrack has it heading across Honduras to Guatemala which received the most damage from Hurricane Stan.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] The Rabbit

I'm trying to catch where it was that you think you could/should 've proof read. Oh well.

I didn't know there was a tropical storm Stan though. Kinda cool in a way.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Like I said, Tatiana and Rabbit [Smile] one of the coolest things about the Internet is being able to easily share whatcha find.

"The penultimate link is water temperature?"

The ten-day time-lapse "photography" of the roiling Caribbean waters is of TropicalCycloneHeatPotential. Which I'm sure you've found the name of already.
However, as you can see through comparison of the 25Oct05 charts on the TCHP and the SST, while there is some correlation between heat potential and surface temperature, they are not directly related.

A tighter correlation is found between the 25Oct05 chart showing how deeply that deeply that D26isotherm -- ie the water above D26 has temperatures above 26degreeC/79degreeC* -- extends beneath the surface. Which makes sense cuz as the winds churn the surface, they cause the warmer surface waters to mix with the cooler waters below; thus cooling the surface waters.
So the deeper the sufficiently warm water extends below the surface, the longer a hurricane/etc can feed, gather more energy from that warm water before the windchurning cools it off too much.

But there is yet another correlation: that between the SurfaceHeightAnomoly/SHA and the TCHP.
Since water is self-leveling, there has to be reason for variations above the mean sea-level. So the SHA shows the combination of the air-pressure above the ocean and the seawater density.
Lower air-pressure "suck"s the water upward, and higher air-pressure weighs the water downward. And seawater density is affected by its temperature and the dissolved salts/etc contained within.

The lower the air-pressure, the lower the boiling point of water. eg It takes longer to cook a "five-minute" egg up in the mountains of Colorado than it does at nearly sea-level Florida because water boils at a cooler temperature at higher altitudes, and at a warmer temperature at low altitudes.
Temperature is a statistical average of the individual kinetic energies of the molecules/atoms/etc which comprise the object being measured. ie At any given temperature, there exists some molecules/atoms/etc within the object which have individual kinetic energies higher than average, and some molecules/atoms/etc which have lower individual kinetic energies than the average.
In liquid water, the individual molecules with the highest kinetic energies "boil" off, evaporate. And the lower the air-pressure, the faster those individual molecules evaporate.
And so the water's average kinetic energy, temperature drops as the highest energy molecules evaporate.

Which is how the hurricane's low pressure feeds on the ocean's energy: evaporation of the "hot" water molecules increases the kinetic energy contained within the storm.

So the TCHP seems to be mostly derived from the mixture of the depth of sufficiently warm water (D26) and the air-pressure above that water (SHA). With surface temperature (SST) playing a lesser role.

* Temperature at which water is warm enough to strengthen a tropical storm or hurricane.

[ October 30, 2005, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

aspectre
Member # 2222

BTW: I do know that you guys probably know the above already. So I really just used Tatiana's question to talk about the subject for other readers who might be interested.

[ October 30, 2005, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, X would have been a Man's name and it never made it to a Hurricane. Perhaps "Tropical Storm Xavier".

This one would be a female name starting with Y,

Hurricane Yolanda.

Please, Hurricane YoSafBridge.

And Hurricane Xander.

*runs away*

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
BTW: I do know that you guys probably know the above already. So I really just used Tatiana's question to talk about the subject for other readers who might be interested.

aspectre, thanks! I did not know all this stuff already, and found it fascinating.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And Hurricane Xander.
Looks like you're gonna be spending a chocoLOTTA time behind candy BARS!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

HurricaneYoMama is so nasty that...

Last bit for the HurricaneBeta archive which has been sitting in an open window since landfall.

4amEST 30Oct05 : HurricaneBeta's center is located at Latitude13.0North : Longitude83.4West,
ie ~8miles/13kilometres off the Nicaraguan coast,
With maximum sustained wind of 115mph/185kph
Beta is a CategoryThree hurricane, ie classified as a major hurricane.

As the center made its 7amEST 30Oct05 landfall at Latitude12.9North : Longitude83.5West,
maximum sustained winds had already decreased to 105mph/169kph, CategoryTwo,
and rapidly dropped to CategoryOne status of under 95mph/153kph as the outer eyewall cleared the ocean.

[ November 01, 2005, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it my imagination, or is there virtually no coverage of this storm in the news right now?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Yep, the information is minimal: eg "refugees are still in the evacuation centers" and little more.
Given that (storm track) HurricaneBeta's worst effects were on the MosquitoCoast -- ie the least Europeanized and poorest region -- and that winds had decreased to less than a tropical storm's minimum of 40mph/64kph by the time Beta hit the richest and most politically powerful regions, I'd be surprised if coverage in the Nicaraguan news media is much better.

[ November 01, 2005, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.