FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Smallville vampire episode

Author Topic: Smallville vampire episode
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
In one single show I saw everything I love and hate about Smallville. Totally cheesy, painful-to-watch plot (sorority vampires) with just enough multi-level cool-bad-guy interaction (Lex and Professor Fine) that I had to watch anyway.

On the plus side, Teres and I started laughing right after the Lex-Fine pool table scene, thinking about the thousands of fan fiction authors lunging for their keyboards [Smile]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say it, but I enjoyed this episode. We had subtle Star Wars references in honor of Carrie Fisher's guest appearance, James Marsters finally stepping out into the spotlight, and a better-than-expected storyline.

That's right. I said it. The plot was actually not so bad. The fact that the sorrority girls were connected to a LuthorCorp experiment definitely stayed consistent with the ongoing storylines this season. It was quite a watchable episode indeed, and if this is what an average installment of the show qualifies as these days, I'll have no problem continuing to watch the series.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly right, Chris. I loved the b-plot of this episode, Lex and Fine. But Lana sorority vampire? Please. And are you telling me no one bats an eye that someone was murdered? Not a single mention? That makes twice that Lana has personally killed someone, once under the influence of an ancestor, I'll grant you. But that's a defense that wouldn't hold up in court. Lex's murders I can buy because his money might get him off (doubtful, but not wholely out the realm of possibility.) But Lana? And I guess all Clarks concern about explaining not having a gunshot scar was completely ignored last week as he and Lana cavorted at the lake.

Continuity much?

Next week's looks questionable, like their substituting more cheesecake for plot (though, like Facade, it may be much better than it looks). On the one hand, I understand making the Fine-Lex-Clark plot move slowly (as the b plot in every story) so that it lasts for quite a while as a major story arch. But their A-plots should be as good, if not better.

Side note: Did Carrie Fisher do something to her lips? Man, she has not aged all that well at all, like Margot Kidder. And what was Chloe thinking, turning in a vampire story to the Daily Planet. No matter how much documentation, it could not possibly be the story that a girl trying to get an internship would turn in.

Why do they do this? Are they out of touch with reality and the fans? "Gee, let's put some vampires on Smallville." "Great idea, babe. And Lana will somehow get Clark's heat vision."

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Did Marsters play a vampire?

I don't watch Smallville. I watched a few episodes at the beginning, but then I stopped.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
It was pretty neat. I liked how everything is growing and getting connected. Should be neat to see what happens. I know we saw the guy from the space ship before, but I totally missed that he was the professor.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the episode. I think my review for it (when I was telling my brother about it) was "it's quite good for a crappy Halloween-themed episode."
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Marsters was not a vampire. I did find it very amusing when he told Clark that there is no such thing as vampires. [Smile]
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the first season of Smallville and then stopped. The whole Lex and Clark knowing eachother thing didn't seem to jive with the old Superman story. And I was a huge Batman/Superman adventures fan when I was in like sixth/seventh grade.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it stunk from too many pop references.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of dreading watching this episode this weekend...

I mean, Superman vs. Vampires (or even Superboy) is almost no contest. Unless you play up the magic angle.

He'll know they're there before they're aware of him, even though they're vampires. (Super-hearing, x-ray vision = no pulse, no heartbeat, spotted!). They can't suck his blood because it's distilled sunlight.

And...sorority vampires ?! [Frown]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

The graphic novel, Birthright, had Lex be friends with Clark, briefly, in Smallville. And Supes was worried that Lex would put 2+2 together. But Lex had turned his back on everything that had happened in Smallville, including his friendship with Clark. So he did not make the connection.

But given the Smallville mythology, Lex would have to be the dumbest guy in the history of the universe not to figure it out. I mean, the mysteries around Clark, the stones, the prophecy of Naman and Lex seeing himself as Segeeth, the Doctor who said Clark was the last son, an alien, who is sent to conquer the earth. So I'm guessing that the producers think that secret identities are outmoded and unnecessary (though I don't see agree). I seem to have heard that there are some superman comics with that angle, as well.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Lex did know Clark growing up in Smallville, according to a couple decades of the comics. Then they changed things and he didn't. Then they changed things again and Lex went from being an evil scientist to an evil billionaire financier. DC is about to start changing things again, no telling what everyone will be afterwards.

The history of Smallville can't result in any previously known version of Superman. Just can't. I stopped caring about that in the 2nd season and started treating it as a What If or Elseworlds story.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

The reason I mentioned Birthright is that I don't recall if Lex knew CLARK, not Superboy. I know that he blamed Superboy for making him bald. But I wasn't sure if any comic incarnation had him actually being friends with Clark. But Birthright did.

Still like the Smallville mythology. Just wish they'd make it more consistant and get rid of the gimmicky plots.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Me, I'm just waiting for the TelevisionWithoutPity recap of this...
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out Elliot S! Maggin's Superman novels. Clark and Lex were friends, and Clark and Superboy were friends for even longer.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Was I the only person who sat there watching the episode and couldn't help but think, "This really bites"?

Anyway, the most pointed (sorry) thing in the episode, I thought, was Lana mentioning that she wanted to take courses on Astronomy. She is so on the "I hate aliens" bandwagon, now. Particularly Kryptonians. If she ever finds out Clark's secret, it's going to be worse than he can possibly imagine.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Nah, you're not the only one. The A plot pretty muched sucked. The only good part was the B-plot, regarding Fine, Lex, and Clark. That should prove to be quite enjoyable.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.