FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What? Jury Duty and the 21+s (AoD rants)

Author Topic: What? Jury Duty and the 21+s (AoD rants)
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe this. All the good Halloween parties this year have one thing in common, 21+. I can't stand the fact that I am forbidden by law to attend such festivites and yet, I have to go to jury duty after about 6 months of becoming an adult.
So, according to polititians, the law and whatnot, I am not mature enough to invive alcohol but I am mature enough to decide wether someone is innocent or guilty? I don't even have a license, so its not like they can claim that I will be drinking and driving. This society sucks. I cannot even go to Tijuana where I can drink because I cannot stand that city.
*sigh* So, am I still a minor then? I can't understand why a beercan stands between me and a good Hallow's Eve party.
Its not like I want to drink anyway, I just want to go because my friends may be going too. I hate being the young 'un in the group... [Frown]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid U.S.A. policies. Apparently you can kill people for your government, but not enjoy the self-medicating effects of sweet alchohol.

*loves Canada*

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn straight.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
Although if you are in the military and you are on base, you can drink AND kill at 18. See, there are perks to being in the military.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't gotten called for jury duty. [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
if you are in the military and you are on base, you can drink AND kill at 18
[Confused] I've yet to see a CO allow <21 yo drinking age w/in the states. So* I take it you are refering to out of the USA.

I have been called up for Jury Duty plenty of times. I'm beginning to think they hate me. For the past seven years they have been calling my parents' house to speak with me about this jury duty stuff. She keeps telling them that I am in the military and am definately not able to attend a jury duty.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a new one on me, tern. I've heard proposals to that effect, but never that it was a reality. Drinking age is still 21, isn't it?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Eaquae Legit, unless I am mistaken somehow, the only time the CO can lower the drinking age is when in a foreign country with a lower drinking age. Even then he/she doesn't have too. The CO can keep the USA legal limit of 21 if they decide that is best.

The one I'm not sure of is Beer Days (I've had two in one deployment).

"Beer day is a tradition in the United States Navy, whereas after 45 consecutive days out to sea the Commanding Officer can authorize two beers for each crew member over the age of 21."
--Wikipedia

I don't know if they changed that or not. I would say not.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

My understanding is that every Marine base in the United States with the exception of Twenty-nine Palms (it's the property of the State of California, all of the others are federal property) allows members of the military who are 18 or older to drink beer. I don't know about any other drinks, but I remember all of my buddies in Marine Combat Training (San Onofre, Camp Pendleton) going to the E-club and getting plastered, and they were not 21. I am absolutely certain about it. I don't know about the other services for sure, but I can't see why they would be different. This was in 1993, it is possible that things have changed. If so, then one more military benefit down the drain...
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
According to Louisiana state law, you can drink at 18 as long as you're in a private residence.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree. If you can vote, serve on a jury or kill, you should be able to have a beer.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I don't really like beer, but I want to try martinis.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

I don't know tern, it could still be. Norfolk Shipyard doesn't have a bar on it (that I remember). When I was in San Diego, there were a couple bars on base. It was nice for the guys. Go out and get completely plastered and be w/in walking distance of the ship. I don't drink much so the accuracy of Norfolk Shipyard not having a "bar" is highly debateable. That and I never did go to Dam Neck or Oceana Air Station very much. I went to Langley Air Force Base a few times, but that was to use their auto hobby shop.

Note: When I do drink, it is generally not with people I work with.

tern
Member # 7429

I don't drink, but it was a really big deal for the other guys.

I've never been called for jury duty, either. Maybe if I start drinking, I can get called...woohoo!

Stan the man
Member # 6249

AoD, who ever it is....they are guilty. Off with his head! [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.