FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Here I am Watching Traffic

Author Topic: Here I am Watching Traffic
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Just what the heck is a parent supposed to do if they find out their kid is using drugs?
Put the beat down on them and take away every single priviledge they have?
Ship them off to rehab?
Figure that the kid is only experimenting and not make a big deal of it?
I hate drugs (though Marijuana seems like a minor intoxicate) and get freaked out over the thought of having kids that will grow up and do drugs like heroin, speed, cocaine and crack and how to get them to stop.
At least it would be nice to know why a person would want to do such drugs in the first place.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get the "watching traffic" reference.

As for kids and drug use, it's at least worth considering that the child might be "self medicating" to deal with some problem that could be handled better with a psychoactive drug (to treat depression, bipolar, or other disorder).

It's not always the case, but I've seen it enough times to at least advise people to rule that out first. Kids do drugs for a variety of reasons, but the really serious addictive behavior is often associated with some underlying psychological problem that can be more effectively treated.

Education and professional assistance are both good ideas, IMHO.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, are you familiar with the phrase "Don't borrow trouble?" I know you're just thinking and musing, but right now thinking about the possibility of your hypothetical future kids growing up and abusing drugs is not going to do any more than put you into a funk. If you want to worry about something, why not pick something you can have a direct effect on now? And then go out and do something positive about it. It'll make you feel much better. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Traffic is this movie with Michael Douglas (It's one of the few movies where he doesn't show the whole world his butt)
That is true, ElJay... Perhaps thinking of this drug scenerio might help with a few stories of mine, but really it makes me SCARED to ever have kids EVER.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
More importantly, Traffic also has Benicio del Toro. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they could also grow up to be sociopathic serial murderers, oooh. Yeah, don't sweat it now. And if you ever do have kids, there are lots of really effective ways to talk to them about substance abuse.

Observe that the kids in Traffic are very wealthy/ spoiled/neglected and for some reason can all get together while attending a private high school and freebase coke. Which is not cheap, so they also have the money for it. And hate their lives enough to think drugs are a solution. All of which are issues which good parenting addresses. [Smile]

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, I remember Topher Grace (from that 70's show) being in that movie. I really thought it was a great movie. Dark, but still pretty interesting and good acting.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I have it on DVD. I really like it. Topher Grace is indeed in it.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Your kids also might get hit by a car, come down with a deadly cancer, be the victim of a school shooting, or fall down the stairs and break their neck. And those are all things you can't do anything about. You can, to some extent, influence if your kids grow up to do drugs or not, by loving them, reading to them, talking to them, and paying attention to them and intervening quickly if you notice something goes wrong. But my point is, none of these things are very likely, and if everyone worried about them this much, none of us would be here because no one would ever have kids. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
More importantly, Traffic also has Benicio del Toro. [Big Grin]

Yes, and he is mildly dreamy.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.