FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Saw II: What's the world coming to?

Author Topic: Saw II: What's the world coming to?
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
A month or so ago I rented Saw with a friend of mine. I'd kind of wanted to see it since it came out, but I never dared, knowing that if I didn't have someone to watch it with I wouldn't sleep for weeks.

I needn't have worried. Saw was grade-A MST3K fodder. The plot was mediocre, and it was by far the best thing about the film. The directing, the acting, the dialogue, the cinematography, and everything else about that movie was so horrifyingly bad that if I'd been chained to the couch I'd have been seriously tempted to saw my own leg off to escape it. If I hadn't had someone there to help me mock it, I may well have gone utterly mad (instead of only going slightly mad).

Most horror movies give me nightmares, and this one was no exception. But the nightmare I got after watching Saw was (and, keep in mind, I am *not* making this up) that I was forced to watch another movie starring Cary Elwes. It wasn't even a horror movie, but the prospect of having to waste another 90 minutes listening to his terrible American accent and watch him chew the scenery made me wake up in a cold sweat.

So imagine my disgust when I dialed up rottentomatoes and noticed, to a horror worse than any in the actual film, that it had made over $30 million on its opening weekend.

WHO ARE THE PEOPLE PAYING TO SEE THIS MOVIE?

AND WHY DIDN'T THEY GO SEE SERENITY?

AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!
[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

Did anyone here actually go see Saw II? And, for all you Bible scholars out there, how many days does this put us from Armageddon?

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I <3 saw.

And saw II.

I'm also a dirty, dirty liar.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Doom made more money than Serenity. This is why I often have second thoughts about living in a democratic republic.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mind Saw. [Frown]
Saw II was way worse to me.
Serenity Ruled.

There's my haiku describing how I felt.

Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Speed, you are just going to have to live with the fact that YOU spent money to see this movie when there are hundreds, if not thousands, of good films you haven't rented and need your support.

You should of done what I did and let a friend rent it so your soul would be clean! Bwa HA HA!

From now on, I can not find out what Serenity's final box office amount was. If it was less then the opening weekend of Saw...well, I think I would have to leave this cold cruel world.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
WHO ARE THE PEOPLE PAYING TO SEE THIS MOVIE?
I am ashamed to admit that I was one of those people who tried to see that opening week. Thank goodness I got sidetracked by a much better movie.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Saw II hath given me nightmares, just like Saw.

I also thought Saw II had far more, "Ohhhh, can't watch!" moments than Saw. I figured out at least one of the clues kind of quickly, but I don't remember what I picked up on in Saw.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Saw. Never been more disturbed by a horror movie in my life. But maybe its because of the whole "punishment" scenario. Jigsaw is like one really bitchin' Christ figure.

I have no desire to see the sequel. They've turned it into a teen slasher which is just plain sad.

And yeah, the acting is Saw is really bad. But that's just part of the fun. ha.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Shanna, it's not really a teen slasher! I mean, it sort of is, but not really. You might like it.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Doom made more money than Serenity. This is why I often have second thoughts about living in a democratic republic.

Doom was also heavily marketed. I saw the Serenity trailer in theatres... once, before Batman Begins, and I saw maybe two or three TV ads. I've seen the Doom trailer numerous times, as well as a lot of TV ads and I've even flipped past what appeared to be entertainment show segments devoted to it.

There's also the matter of the solid sales of Doom 3, which probably translate into movie ticket sales at least somewhat -- even though what little plot the game has is eviscerated in the movie. I mean, if there are no demons and no Hell, how exactly is it related to Doom?

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
What?! No demons and no hell? I knew they had thrown in this crap about "discovering" the last bits of the human genome, but I assumed that they were still including demons and a portal to hell somehow.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently the monsters are just mutants.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's just disappointing. Seriously, were they trying to ruin the movie? Or maybe Doom is really just a highly sophisticated satire on bad video game movies.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
We actually really liked Doom.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Saw. It was quite good, as far as horror movies go. Aside from the gruesome factor, it had some nice twists. As a result, I'll probably pay to see Saw II.

I did not go to Serenity, though, because it was based on a TV show I'd never seen, looked like a your typical sub-par sci-fi film from the few trailors I saw, and because nobody I knew was interested in seeing it with me. I'll probably see it on video some day.

I did not go to Doom because it will clearly be one of the worst movies of the year. But, it will make some money because of (a) the video game's popularity, and (b) The Rock.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
umm, i think Saw was much more worthy of my 7 bucks than serenity. im not familiar with the story Serenity was based on, and i found that the movie didnt make that much an effort to draw in people who had no previous knowledge of, FireFly was it?

Saw was good imo because it wasnt your run-o-the-mill teens at a party and here comes the killer movie. it reminded me of Seven in a way, except Jigsaw was more sadistic and gave people a tiny shred of a chance to live if they did something really outrageous. I went to SawII with my gf last friday when it come out. i didnt have high expectations for the sequel since sequels fot those types of movies are usually a bust. but, to my suprise, it wasnt that bad. there were a lot of parts to the sequel that i think did a really great job of doing that kept the same feel of the first movie. from what i have seen in this thread, lots more people enjoyed Saw than were interested in losing money and time to Serenity.

*note i was pretty dissapointed with Serenity, and i usually love most sci-fi stories.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Doom. It was entertaining and I laughed a lot. I really, really wonder if it's satire.

I went and saw Saw II last night with Nathan and two of our friends. I can't stand torture. I can't watch it. The aftermath (gore) doesn't bother me, instead, it's that perception of pain while it's happening. Anyone remember the hobbling scene in Misery? Yeah, like that. *twitch*

I will never see Saw II again. The only reason I made it through the movie was to concentrate on the puzzle. Once I figured it out (I was 90% certain I had), it became a waiting game to see if I was right (I was). But without that distraction, I couldn't have stayed.

Oh, and being fairly sure that the male protagonist was in fact Donny Wahlberg and needing to see the credits to find out.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.