FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Purchase Circles!

Author Topic: Purchase Circles!
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found a very cool tool on Amazon that I hadn't seen before: purchase circles. They're bestseller lists for different types of groups of people: towns, states, companies, universities, governmental groups, and so forth. My favorite section to browse is the govermental sector - it's quite interesting to see what the U.S. House of Reps purchases from Amazon.

The bestseller list of my hometown of Sunnyvale, CA, which is right smack dab in the middle of Silicon Valley heavily features Perl, Linux, and other computing and engineering books - the only non-technical book is Voice of Reason : Why the Left and Right Are Wrong.

My university is too small to have enough data yet, I think, but the college students are certainly skewing the results of the town's purchases - no way that a small, conservative town in Indiana would be purchasing so many left-wing books.

What do the purchase circles you're a part of say about your community or groups?

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine are mostly crime dramas (heavy on the John Grisham) or religious fiction. But the number one spot is The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Laura Schlessinger. Ugh!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
A little to the south of me there is much more non-fiction (government, religion and diet books) but the DaVinci Code in number one. Could it be because of the new movie?
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, top book hometown-wise is Dude, Where's My Country? , which I found suprising because we're a fairly Republican town and county.

Music - we're an aging baby-boomer POPulation : Josh Groban, Beatles, Rod Stewart's latest remakes not suprising.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Provo, Utah:

1. The Book of Mormon Reference Companion
2. Practical Cryptography :shrug:
3. The Crystal City (Tales of Alvin Maker, Book 6) [Smile]

I wonder if the Practical Cryptography relates to a BYU class. Or, we could all just be CIA operatives out here.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, but I get my circles for free.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that is pretty cool!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what they're reading in my neck of the woods:

quote:

1. Positively Fifth Street: Murderers, Cheetahs, and Binion's World Series of Poker
by James McManus

2. The Great Unraveling: Losing Our Way in the New Century
by Paul Krugman

3. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland: A Pop-up Adaptation
by Robert Sabuda, Lewis Carroll

4. Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right
by Al Franken

5. Middlesex: A Novel
by Jeffrey Eugenides

6. Eragon (Inheritance, Book 1)
by Christopher Paolini

7. The South Beach Diet: The Delicious, Doctor-Designed, Foolproof Plan for Fast and Healthy Weight Loss
by Arthur Agatston

8. The Da Vinci Code
by Dan Brown

9. The Five People You Meet in Heaven
by Mitch Albom

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.