FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone here any good at tailoring?

Author Topic: Anyone here any good at tailoring?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the story:

I have broad shoulders for a chick. This causes endless problems with shirts and jackets. I got a fencing jacket last year that was a great jacket...but too small in the shoulders. However, I didn't realize this until later (a few months) because of my posture. By then, I'd worn and washed it several times and couldn't be traded in. [Frown]

I frequent a fencing forum and someone had posted a thread asking about opinions on the company that made said jacket. Fit issues aside, I did love the jacket. I said so.

Turns out the owner of the company also frequents that board, emailed me, and said he wants to work something out so I can wear my jacket. Sweet! He said they could either tailor it (no charge) or replace it with a jacket a step up in price for a nominal fee.

I sent it in July and promptly completely forgot aobut it. I remembered yesterday morning and emailed the owner. He didn't reply. Then this afternoon, UPS dropped off a package containing...a new jacket, no charge, and a step up. Niiiiice.

It fits my shoulders!

However.

I could fit a small African village in addition to myself in the rest of the jacket. I think they think I must have way bigger boobs than I do and am much...wider. I have broad shoulders and birthin' hips, but I DO have a waist.

I need it tailored. [Frown]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I could give you some tips, but if you're not experienced, I'd take it to the local dry cleaning and alterations place, tell them what you need, and let them fix it for you. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I can tailor, but not well, and not with my current machine. I'd reccomend you ask your drycleaner about a tailor, they usually know. I know nothing about fencing jackets, is it lined, what type of material is it made of? I'm sure it can be done, sorry this was so little help. I usually have the opposite problem, my shoulders are tiny, my arms are short, my waist is pretty little, but to accomadate my boobs I have to go up a size, not fun.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I could do it myself, but I lack a sewing machine. [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
That's something that should be rentable, but either isn't or is very hard to find. When my mom was in charge of Orchestra uniforms, that was always the catch in getting people to help,"I can sew but I don't have a machine" we loaned our old one to someone, and they never gave it back, luckily it was after we bought the new one, and the sewing machine store said it was worth about $80 because it was 30 years old, but not collectible.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing with taking in something like a fencing jacket is it's often lined and so double-seamed, needs extensive tailoring on multiple seams, and is really more of a headache than it would be worth to just take it to the local tailor if you don't have specific experience making alterations on things like lined blazers and suit jackets.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yeah, my mom just said that too, she did tux jackets, multiple times, teenage boys have weird proportions compared to adults.

Though I took a pair of cordroy pants in today, and they said they couldn't just replace the zipper pulll, they'd need to put a new zipper in and that's $14, I think these pants were $17 three years ago, but the pull was lost, and even with a saftey pin, the zipper goes down. They were the only cordroy's I'd ever found in petite, that I actually liked!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, why didn't you just put a new zipper in yourself? Pants zippers are a couple of bucks. [Razz]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I can't find the right color or length, and hoped the could do just a pull.
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I would shop around for a good tailor. A complicated jacket probably isn't worth doing yourself unless you're a talented seamstress who also likes to sew and has a machine and time. I think they made the right decision by sending you a new jacket; altering shoulders to be larger is nearly impossible, but taking the rest of the jacket in should work;
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Take the pants to a JCPenney, if they are large enough to have a tailor, ours charges $8 for a zipper, I think. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate zippers. With a passion. I avoid putting them in any clothing I sew, because I always screw it up. and clothing that I don't sew, the zippers always get bound up.

I think finding a good tailor is your best bet, too. Tailoring sucks. ::kicks coat::

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Nathan thinks it's very funny that my last name is Taylor and I need a tailor.
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Your last name is Taylor? Is there any little secrets you and Nathan need to tell us, hmmm?
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. I thought it was your middle name now? [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

My legal last name is Taylor Novak.
rivka
Member # 4859

Ah! I forgot that was the eventual decision.

But I am going to keep teasing you about your voice mail. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

What does my voicemail say?
rivka
Member # 4859

Taylor. No Novak.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.