FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oh, teh ackness... Computer problems

Author Topic: Oh, teh ackness... Computer problems
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so today is the deadline for delivering the code on the skims, right? Well, what should happen but our joyful computer people - who I hope were not informed about the deadline, though the darkly suspicious part of me darkly suspects that someone didn't want to do all that work - decide that this is an excellent time to take the batch queues down for patching. Granted, they did warn us in advance, on an obscure forum (BaBar has dozens of the damn things, they start a new one every time someone wants his thesis reviewed) that nobody ever reads.

Well, there is, admittedly, a way around that, though since everyone and his test job will be using it, it's liable to be kinda slow. Strike two : Yep, our whole network connection goes down. Happy, happy, joy, joy. So I spent a while waiting for that, and indeed it does come back, _except_ for the computers I actually need, because they're the ones that have access to the data I want.

As you may guess, I was a touch annoyed by this time, so I tried running the stuff on our farm in Italy. Where, naturally, the newest version of the software - which I needed 'cos I was using some shiny new features - hadn't been uploaded. I'm told November 1st is a big holiday in Catholic countries. Besides, they're not only European, they're actually Italian; make that, "the week of November 1st." (I do not jest; my coworker is Italian, and this is what he said.)

Well, the good bit about all this is, I got to give up in disgust and go home early. Where I found to my utter and total joy that my home connection was out also. Oh, and incidentally, I couldn't get a dial tone for my phone.

So I spend some time power cycling stuff; no dice. By experimenting, I did eventually find that I could get a dial tone by disconnecting the little splitter thing that gives you both DSL and phone line from one phone jack. I used to think that there's nothing worse than the hold music you get in customer service lines; the Earthlink people have managed the impossible, however. You get little 'tips' like [Really Perky Voice] "Try turning your modem off, waiting for thirty seconds, and turning it back on! You'll be amazed! At how often this! Solves the problem!" [/Really Perky Voice] I wonder where they hunted down the Last of the Valley Girls? She ought to be in a museum somewhere.

So anyway, it takes me a few minutes to explain to the guy that

a) I have reset and power cycled both modem and computer several times already, thank'ee kindly, and
b) No, I do not want to try again because then I would have to disconnect my phone ('cos I can only get a dial tone without the damn splitter) and then I'd have to call you again. Incidentally, is everyone on those phone support lines a Hispanic who speaks really bad English? I've called them three or four times, and I have yet to get a native speaker.

He advises me to buy a new splitter, and get reimbursed by Earthlink. Well, that's nice, thank you. Then I suddenly remembered that, hey, I've got the splitter from Cincinnati - why not try that? No dice. So I call them back - it seems we mis-diagnosed the problem, I really don't think I can have two defective splitters.

In the middle of that call, all spontaneously, my modem lights come back on.

I am just a little annoyed.

At least we got an extension on the deadline - site-wide outages tend to have that effect. I'll be highly motivated for testing the skims tomorrow, you may be sure.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cali-Angel-Cat
Member # 8799

- posted      Profile for Cali-Angel-Cat   Email Cali-Angel-Cat         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there something in the air? Boy did you have a bad day.

You weren't the only one. Tomorrow will be better!

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a sign from God.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
rivka... [No No] us computer people don;t like ir when god messes with our royters.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*claws out own eyes* How about spelling? Do you like that?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i dwiegt know wut ur tulkin bout'
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
my nither
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.