FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Umm.. riots?

Author Topic: Umm.. riots?
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
So I was on wikipedia just now, and I accidently clicked on the current events link. Apparently there has been some kind of major riot in Paris for the past couple days.

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't heard a thing about this until now. Anyways, it sounds like it's kind of big, does anyone know anything else about it?

wikipedia link

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
linky

[ November 05, 2005, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Boon ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't heard about it, either.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

Hmm... Sounds pretty serious.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard about this last week, how a riot had broken out over two kids who did some crime and then killed themselves "after scaling the wall of a relay station and touching a transformer."

I had no idea that the rioting was STILL going on! That's nuts! These two young thugs killed themselves being stupid and that gives people a reason to riot? Riot over what? That the cops might have been doing their jobs and trying to catch criminals? That two teenagers were dumb enough to go INTO a relay station?

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't ask. [Frown]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

From what I can tell, it has more to do with other factors. The kids were only the spark that set it off.

Of course, I don't know all that much about this riot. Hence the starting of the topic.

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
What I heard on NPR is that the kids were "hiding from the police." I hadn't heard that they had actually committed any crime; apparently there's been a police crackdown in the areas mostly populated by the children of immigrants. People feel they are being unfairly harrassed, despite being French citizens (in many cases, native ones), and that the deaths of the children arose from that harrassment.

Edit: A teargas grenade of a type used by riot police was also recently fired in the vicinity of a mosque; the reaction is partly from viewing this as escalating bad behavior by the police.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Bad behavious from boths sides, and, yes, only sparks needed to put everything on fire.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. I certainly don't condone riots, though I can understand the frustrations that cause them... On both sides.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.