FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cronyism

Author Topic: Cronyism
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Cronyism...blatantly obvious. Why is this even being tolerated by the Republican party? Why is this acceptable at all? Remove Democrats from the equation <insert joke here>, and this still would look suspect.
U.S. Intelligence committee appointees

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Cronyism is deeply entrenched in American life. Business schools even encourage it under the name "Networking." Everyone who has been recommended for job by a friend, family member, church member, or co-worker is at some level a crony. It's part of who we are, and not necessarily a bad part, it's also one of the leading factors that sustain racism, classism, the economy, and golf.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

I disagree.

Networking is the act of considering someone that you know for a job, but only if they meet the qualifications necessary to perform the duties required by the job.

Cronyism is a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" type of arrangement.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't know how easy it is to decide when the qualifications end and the scratching begins.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a crony! See, I even have a card.

*squints*

Oops. I'm a crone. My bad.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

How did you get your editing job again?
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

There's a gray area in the middle where it's generally accepted. The problem is when it becomes blatantly obvious that the people being appointed/hired have no qualifications.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

No, the problem is coming to terms with the gray area.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Irami who are you refering too?

I was refered to be a dish washer and I did fit the qualitfications.

Problems: Dispite my expierience the new job had either enforced or had new rules that I was not aware of.

ie: sitting on a counter, listening to music, talking when there's nothing to do etc.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Think of the gray area as the space between high tide and low tide on a beach.

The space between the two points constantly shrinks and grows, but no one panics until the tide rises so high that it floods your basement.

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

Nope.
Olivet
Member # 1104

LOL, see, that's the joke. My first editing job (non-fiction) was coincidence. One of the instructors at my son's martial arts school saw me making notes on copy, and asked what I did.

I just told him I was a full time mother, but that I did some editing for a couple of people sometimes. They were desperate, and gave me section of their book to see what I would do with it. Eventually, they hired me. I ended up telling them they needed a ghostwriter, because this thing needed more work than I was willing to give it.

My husband and his best buddy since High school talk about everything, so this guy was aware that I was an English major and that I did that stuff for the martial arts group. His company had ordered a research paper for a client from another group in India. Th ewriters of the paper were engineers mostly, and English wasn't their native language. So, he asked me to fix it up. He paid me more than what I was doing was worth, at first but he owed us some money.

From there he gave me other things to do. He doesn't keep me constantly busy, but I am scrupulous about my work for him. Moreso than I was for the government. He's my husband's oldest and dearest friend. I know his wife and absolutely adore their son. I'd rather NOT work for him than do anything that would jeopardize their security.

Which I think is why he likes me. I think people want loyalty, which is easier to get from longtime friends than Joe off the street. However, it's the balance between loyalty and skill that is hard to find.

In my case, he knows I'll do crap work and that I'd leave before I would undercut him in any way. So it works out well for both of us.

So, I'm a crony AND a crone. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

[Smile]

(We'll disagree about the crone bit, though)

TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

What was the "nope" in response to?
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Irami, who are you refering to?"
quote:
quote:
I'm a crony! See, I even have a card.
*squints*
Oops. I'm a crone. My bad.

How did you get your editing job again?

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

As the day wears on, I get a bit denser.

Aspectre, what are you referencing?

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

It was aim to you, Target. I don't think that it was a apt analogy. I think that until you figure out the appropriateness of the grey areas, the black and white ones aren't going to make any sense.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
There you go again with the black and white stuff again, Irami....

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivet, I think you have to have passed menopause to qualify as a crone.

You can be a Crone-In-Training, though.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

That's sexist! I need a lawyer...

Dag? [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed it is.

However, it was established in another thread that you can qualify as a geezer (in time), while we CITs cannot.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Actually, a geezer can be a male of any age. Especially in Britain, where it is used as a generic male designation.

I know that the popular practice of croning requires a woman to be post-menopausal (and the three stages of womanhood are traditionally Maiden, Mother, and Crone), but the dictionary seems to be a bit more liberal. According to dictionary.com , I only have to be an ugly, withered old woman, an evil-looking old woman, or a hag.

I can work with that. [Wink] Besides, I'm only four years younger than my mother when she ceased being fertile, so who knows? [Big Grin]

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

I'm resurrecting this thread because I think that this is a live issue that deserves thought.

Once we except that some cronyism is morally permissable. For example, I don't have a problem at all with how Olivet got her editing job. How do we square that with the American Rhetoric of equality and meritocracy.

[ November 12, 2005, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The one and only thing I blame President Bush on with regards to Katrina is not that the worst storm in US history hit, or that his response was not as swift as it could have been, or that he didn't take it seriously at first.

It was that the person he put in charge of FEMA was an unqualified crony. That is the fault the he shoulders, but has yet to acknowledge.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

She had the qualifications and ability (which are at times two different things [Big Grin] ) to do the job, and that makes all the difference.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.