FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Enders Game" was the most popular sci-fi book in America finishing fourth

Author Topic: "Enders Game" was the most popular sci-fi book in America finishing fourth
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
OH yeah! We did it! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9826885/

Ender's Game is #1 sci-fi book!
[Party]

Worldwide Top Ten

-- Firefly - TV
-- Serenity - movie
-- Farscape - TV
-- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - book
-- Babylon 5 - TV
-- Battlestar Galactica - TV
-- Dune - book
-- Enders Game - book
-- Empire Strikes Back - movie
-- Dr. Who - TV

US Top Ten

-- Firefly - TV
-- Serenity - movie
-- Farscape - TV
-- Enders Game - book
-- Battlestar Galactica - TV
-- Dune - book
-- Empire Strikes Back - movie
-- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - book
-- Babylon 5 - TV
-- A New Hope - movie

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, it's this kind of madness that boggles my mind. How can Serenity and Firefly be so popular, moreso than shows that are still running, and yet be cancelled or do relatively poorly at the box office?
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Take off the trendy TV/movies, and it's number one overall! [Razz]
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How can Serenity and Firefly be so popular, moreso than shows that are still running, and yet be cancelled or do relatively poorly at the box office?
Because their fans know that they're in need of support, but don't want to pay for it? It's easier and cheaper to vote three thousand times on an online quiz than go and see the movie more than once.
Great news about Ender's Game, though. [Big Grin] I love Hitchhicker and Dune too.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 8810

- posted      Profile for Aerto   Email Aerto         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eldrad:
Seriously, it's this kind of madness that boggles my mind. How can Serenity and Firefly be so popular, moreso than shows that are still running, and yet be cancelled or do relatively poorly at the box office?

Because it is really devoted fans who vote in these polls and the Serenity/Firefly fans are REALLY devoted. If this poll were somehow given to every person in America, various Star Wars and Star Trek projects would probably make up the top ten.

And Serenity/Firefly fans did go to the movie many multiple times. I know of fans who bought tickets for shows online that they never had any intention of going to. However, a devoted fanbase of that size cannot, by itself, make a movie successful at the box office.

Posts: 102 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
How come any time anyone links a MSNBC or NBC or ABC or something similar link, it loads ungodly slow, or never loads at all? It doesn't do this with CNN though...
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the last paragraph of the article puts the rest into perspective:

quote:
The poll was conducted by visitors to NewScientistSpace.com from Oct. 8 through Oct. 22, 2005. The website launched in May 2005 and has a user base of 300,000 worldwide.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.