FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » help me put together a training program

Author Topic: help me put together a training program
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I got sick, this wouldn't have been a problem. But from being sick for so long, I've lost a lot of my endurance and muscle tone. I'm doing a Wilderness EMT course starting January 3rd. I really look forward to it. One requirement is that I be able to hike across any non-technical terrain carrying a quarter of my weight for four miles in four hours. Before I got sick, that wasn't an issue. In top form, I could go 8-9 miles in just over four hours.

But now I'm not in top form. [Frown]

I've got a month and a half, so it's doable to ge close to top form again. Luckily, I have the type of body that will cooperate when trained properly.

I just need to put together a program. Weight training and running are necessities of course, and at least one hike a week.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a series of state parks a few miles from here... my understanding is that they are all connected by one extended mountain trail, by which it is possible to hike through some 35-40 continuous miles of state park land...

Bring a couple of dumbells and you can do the weight training while you're at it? [Wink]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I would figure out how much time you can allocate to working out every day and really use that time. Weight training should be every other day if you work all your muscle groups or should alternate (eg. arms MWFSu, legs TThSa). I would suggest that you run for a set time - say 45 minutes every day. At first you won't be running for 45 minutes; you'll do the jog/walk thing, but eventually you'll be able to run the whole time. I think hiking a few times a week is a great idea. I honestly don't know that you need to do much beyond that to get in shape, especially since you only have a month or so. Well - make sure to stretch, too.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, I am in reasonably good shape already, I just need my endurance and muscle tone back. I do fence three times a week you know. [Razz]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you can already run for 45 minutes - an hour, I would start running with your backpack on.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't run with your backpack on; it's cumbersome and hard on your knees. I would walk briskly with your backpack on, to get used to the weight.

I agree that you should work in some weight training, but I would limit it to 4 times a week. You should consider a split of ~ back/biceps, chest/triceps, legs, abs/shoulders. Or something like that, modified however you like. In training for an endurance event like this you want to keep the weights relatively light with reps of 12-15. Say three sets and a warmup for each exercise. You should be able to get a pretty good workout in 45 mins. or less. I personally like to alternate days of lifting and cardio.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.