FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is there any support for this idea?

Author Topic: Is there any support for this idea?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
So I was reading the latest OSC review, where he says
quote:
early American horses were hunted or competed to extinction not that long before Europeans brought their much larger versions of the same species
which suprised me, as I was under the impression that it was uncontroversially accepted that the latest horses were in North America was at least 8000 years ago. I looked it up online and I can't find any references that disagreed with my view. Have there been new findings recently that suggest much later extinction?

If so, considering that I was really impressed by Guns, Germs, and Steel, I think it'd be interesting if we could determine why the horses were not adopted as beasts of burden.

Of course, it could be possible that OSC considers 8,000 years not that long ago. Does anyone know more about this?

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I just took him to mean that ~8000 years ago wasn't that long ago. I often slip into a perspective from which 8000 years doesn't seem like all that long of a time.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, how old ARE you?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
From an evolutionary and/or geographical standpoint 8,000 years isn't that long. I would guess that's what OSC meant.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I agree that from an evolutionary or geographical standpoint, 8,000 years isn't long at all.

But, in the context he was talking about - the clash between European and American Indian civilizations - I don't see 8000 years as "not that long ago". That'd put it at a time when not even the antecedents to either set of civilizations existed. I don't know, to me, using that in this context would put it in hundreds, not thousands of years. But you all are probably right.

---

To put this in context, I was really impressed by GG&S but felt that Diamond neglected cultural/mythological factors (of course covering them would take a whole book or quite probably a whole series of books by itself). I'm interested in seeing he or people in that vein take on situations where one culture had the potential for developmental advantages he touts, but didn't use them effectively due to cultural factors.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm interested in seeing he or people in that vein take on situations where one culture had the potential for developmental advantages he touts
Have you read Collapse?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Nope. That's on my to read list, but it's a long list, and I've been pretty darn busy.
katharina
Member # 827

He does his best to answer the question there.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know of any strong evidence for recent (post 8000 years ago) pre-Columbian horses. However, the Book of Mormon mentions horses and I've read BoM apologetic literature that theorizes that the horses mentioned in the BoM might have been hunted to exinction or eaten in time of famine. As further support for their existence is the existence of certain wheeled horse-ish sculptures found in pre-Columbian ruins. Unless there has been something found more recently (this literature was from the mid '80s), I don't think most anthropologist or archaeologists believe there were horses here any more recently than 8000 years or so ago until the Europeans brought them over.

I'd be interested to know, though.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he must be going with 8000 years not being that long. But I had never read that they were hunted to extinction at that point. The horse who had been in the US then, Eohippus , is approximently the same as the horse that was in Northern Africa at the same time, and evolved to create the Arabian and Caspian. The Arabian was bred with horses closer to the Forrest horse of Northern Europe to create the Andalusian, Barb, and a few other breeds the Spanish owned, though they probably didn't look like the Andalusian of today, they were probably closer to the Abaco Barb a rare breed in the Carribean. I can go on and on about horse breeds if you'd like, where each breed evolved from, what they're good for.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
The Book of Mormon covers the period from 600 BC - 400 AD (approx.). I think he's probably thinking a bit more recently than 8000 years ago.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I suppose it's out of the question to ask him? He could be referring to either. Which one we decide he means says more about us than him.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it'd be interesting if we could determine why the horses were not adopted as beasts of burden.
Was the Eohippus a large enough animal at the time to be considered for use as a beast of burden?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Squicky, it's my understanding that there haven't been any cultures throughout human history that lacked the advantages he touted, but didn't. Or did, but was conquered or overshadowed by a culture who had them in greater abundance.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Jewish culture rejected the domesticaton and exploitation of the pig, but they had enough access to other domesticated or domesticatable animals that this didn't put them at any terrible disadvantage.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no actual evidence that Eohippus was a horse.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Is that sort of like how a polar bear is actually a mink or do you actually have a good reason to say that this is true, Lisa? Because, the sources I've read seem to have no trouble calling Eohippus a horse. Based on your past history, I'm going to need more than just your say so on that.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Whether it was a horse or not is almost entirely semantic. The contention is that it is a fairly close ancestor of modern horses.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.