FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A cut and paste of headlines from yahoo news (political)

Author Topic: A cut and paste of headlines from yahoo news (political)
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
• Texas voters approve gay marriage ban
• San Francisco voters approve handgun ban

........ This just sums it all up for me. This expresses a major problem with our country in just 12 words.

We're full of busy bodies from both sides of the political spectrum who just want to ban ban ban anything they don't like regardless of who it hurts or what the constitution says.

It's stuff like this that gets me depressed in early november every year...

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jh
Member # 7727

- posted      Profile for jh   Email jh         Edit/Delete Post 
The first headline makes me sad.

The second one, not so much.

Posts: 155 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to think that the two are connected...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Make love, not war.

Make war, not love.

How far away from each other are these two statements? 1,799 miles.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Just means homesexuals can move from Texas to San Francisco, and not worry about being shot at.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Texas is the last place I would've thought a gay marriage ban would pass.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just means homesexuals can move from Texas to San Francisco, and not worry about being shot at.
Stephan, please explain to me, in more than bumper-sticker wisdom, how exactly a law banning handguns removes the worry of being shot at?

edit: My original post was snarky and condescending, which isn't like me. So I replaced what could have been seen as an insult with a question instead.

[ November 09, 2005, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Brian J. Hill ]

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
As long as the subject is juxtaposed headlines...

Norway is still the world's best place to live, apparently because
Norwegians top the list for the most one-night stands, which must be really really good
to make up for the carnivorous lizards lurking in loos.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
• Texas voters approve gay marriage ban
• San Francisco voters approve handgun ban

........ This just sums it all up for me. This expresses a major problem with our country in just 12 words.

We're full of busy bodies from both sides of the political spectrum who just want to ban ban ban anything they don't like regardless of who it hurts or what the constitution says.

It's stuff like this that gets me depressed in early november every year...

Pix

Maybe they want to ban ban ban these things, not because they "don't like them" (an assumption on your part), but because they truly hold these things to be dangerous to society.

I approve of both votes.

Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
How do you feel about carnivorous lizards living in your toilet?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
How do you feel about carnivorous lizards living in your toilet?

Plumber's nightmare
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.