FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Web Designers who didnt carefully consider their domain name

Author Topic: Web Designers who didnt carefully consider their domain name
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Who Represents?, a database for agencies that represent the rich and famous:
http://www.whorepresents.com

2) Experts Exchange, a knowledge base where programmers can exchange
advice and views:
http://www.expertsexchange.com

3) Looking for a pen? Look no further than Pen Island:
http://www.penisland.net

4) Need a therapist?
http://www.therapistfinder.com

5) Mole Station Native Nursery, based in New South Wales:
http://www.molestationnursery.com

6) Gas central heating anyone?
http://www.gasheating.co.uk

7) New to Milan and you need electric light? Why not sign up on-line with
Power-Gen?
http://www.powergenitalia.com

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Oh, that's too great.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Those are amazing.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Expert Sex Change? Whoa...I know who could use that...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL......that is one funny list!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at work, and deathly afraid of clicking on those links.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Can anyone give the OK on those? I'd love to see the sites.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I clicked on 'em all. They are what the text claims they are, not what the domain name looks like.

Edit: Which is to say, they are work safe, although if someone reviews just the list of domain names you visit without looking at the sites themselves you might not want to risk it [Big Grin]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the folks at Penis Land are well aware of how their name could be misconstrued. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh, funny! Except I think someone has actually used a vacation on Pen Island to try and pick me up. Now that I see it written... Ew!
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
What's gasheating supposed to be?
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Make the break after the H.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny indeed, though I think the Pen Island website is intended as a joke and is not a real company.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome.

Truly hilarious. This is the kind of funny you only get on the internet, where the letters are all smushed together and lowercase.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Oh. I googled it. It's not very funny and not obvious. But the others are good. [Smile]
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont really get the gasheating either.

Ok, gash eating. Still not funny or gross.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Gash is one slang term I've never heard used for that part of the body. It's actually pretty dorky. I hope it never gets popular.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of (sort of unrelated) curiosity, why are some foreign sites .com? Isn't that specifically for American sites?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

.com means commercial site. Dont know how it relates to international business, but I would think that if any company regardless of nationality bought a domain name from an american registry and it was available, they could use .com.

Don't know, but i bet if they registered the domain name from another countries registrar, it might be coke.com.uk or something like that.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
.com is intended to mean commercial site, and may be purchased by anyone for any purpose. Every country (including the US) also has a country tld (top level domain), with which they may do as they wish.

The US's is .us, the uk's is .uk, tuvalu's is .tv, et cetera. In the case of the US government, they have also appropriated .gov.

The UK puts commercial sites (afaik, this really means anybody who bothers to purchase such a domain name) under .co.uk .

Such a practice is not required; a government could reserve the country domain for left handed plowmen under five feet tall whose daughters are named luanne, and make everyone else use .com/net/org (et cetera) domains, but usually they divide up the domain similarly to how the main tlds are divided up.

Tuvalu, mentioned above, is a small nation which sold the rights to their tld for a considerable sum of money, instead of using it themselves.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TrapperKeeper:
2) Experts Exchange, a knowledge base where programmers can exchange
advice and views:
http://www.expertsexchange.com

[ROFL]

Actually, the real site is at: www.experts-exchange.com. That other site is a dummie with absolutely no content. Searched it with Google ("site:expertsexchange.com perl") and it didn't have any hits for "perl"... a complete fraud. Where "site:experts-exchange.com perl" shows you what the real site has...

I always hated hyphens. At least I know why those guys picked it. At least I would have grabbed the other names (w/o "s": www.expertexchange.com) and had them relocate to the real site.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Those are funny!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha. It took me about three seconds to get gash eating, and I thought it was funny.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
eesh! You can't let me read things like that when I'm trying to not wake everyone up! They made me laugh out loud. quite literally, lol.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gash is one slang term I've never heard used for that part of the body.
Ah. Now I get it. Yeah, that's pretty lame. Too obscure to really be effective. If I just saw "whorepresents" or "molestationnursery" without any context, I would definitely pause and raise an eyebrow. But "gasheating" I would not, without special prompting, read as anything but "gas heating".
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thaught a gash was a bad wound that bleeds a lot, so i'd probably see gasheating as gash eating, then realize that it made no sense, and was gas heating.

guess i just don't get it. [Dont Know]

Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
womans privates.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That was the only one I read correctly, as well.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I know of a local shop with a similar conundrum in the name.

(www.surplusexchange.org) Surplus Exhange

I guess if one website's 'expert' in them, one will have 'surplus' of them. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

- posted      Profile for Sm34rZ           Edit/Delete Post 
umm.... how does that work? As far as I know, "surplu" doesn't mean anything. surplu/sex/change

....?

Posts: 113 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
But it's easy to read that as "super".
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, either "Super" or "Surplus". It's not perfect, of course. [Smile]

On that note, I might ask how I should read your username... [Wink]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.